Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock draft giving Bengals top pick in 2021 draft - Already
I was looking at the last time a team took an OT #1OA and it was the Chiefs in 2013. What is relevant to this discussion is that the QB class was absolutely terrible that year.

So I guess I’m coming around on trading the pick. Considering Lawrence and Fields are coming out. We should be able to get one of the best hauls ever honestly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I would love it if they took Sewell at #1 if they didn’t get a crazy good deal. I know all draft picks are risks but everyone says he’s a generational LT. This solves a huge problem at one of the most important positions in football. Moving Jonah to RT improves the whole line, gives your QB more time which in turn makes your WRs better because they actually have time to get open.

Would be great to have a dominant LT to protect Burrow for the next decade. I love Chase from LSU but you have to protect the QB before you worry about getting him more weapons.

Fix the line first then worry about everything else.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:14 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, any team trading up to the first pick to take a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields is going to be offering a ton.

Hell, it might be a situation where someone trades from 3 to 1, and you can take Sewell anyways.

To each their own, but I will absolutely lose my shit if we have the #1 pick and hold onto to take a Tackle, when there's significant trade offers on the table.

Yeah, you HAVE TO get the most out of that. No less than 2 1st round picks and I may go 3. I would get the 2 Rnd pick next 2 years too. The only problem is that teams already know you are not taking Lawrence, so their leverage will be diminished unless the #2 pick will definitely take him, then you would have a bidding war to get to #1.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:51 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I would love it if they took Sewell at #1 if they didn’t get a crazy good deal. I know all draft picks are risks but everyone says he’s a generational LT.  This solves a huge problem at one of the most important positions in football.  Moving Jonah to RT improves the whole line, gives your QB more time which in turn makes your WRs better because they actually have time to get open.

Would be great to have a dominant LT to protect Burrow for the next decade. I love Chase from LSU but you have to protect the QB before you worry about getting him more weapons.

Fix the line first then worry about everything else.

I don't know why folks are writing off Jonah at LT. Prior to the 2020 draft the PFF crew was on Sirius talking about draft grades. They listed their top 2 prospects at every position since they began grading college players. Jonah was one of them (Tunsil the other) and they said no one in the 2020 draft rated higher than either. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:25 AM)Synric Wrote: That's because its September and no one has any idea what the draft will even look like until December. Off the top of my head I would say the Jets would be the favorite for the #1OA pick right now and I could see them taking Trevor Lawrence and trading Sam Darnold.

My thoughts exactly. They trade him maybe to Pittsburgh - a QB needy team without a high pick.

(09-19-2020, 11:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t. Way too early to give up on him.

It's not "giving up on him" if it's to draft Trevor Lawrence, a phenom QB. I could see it.
Reply/Quote
Cool that we're talking draft in September.

Anyway, I still don't think we'll be drafting first. But even if we're drafting second, we could get a lovely trade offer. Sewell is great, but this is shaping up as a good OT draft and you could slide down and get somebody else. Now, if we're drafting say 3 or 4, lock Sewell in.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:17 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: My thoughts exactly. They trade him maybe to Pittsburgh - a QB needy team without a high pick.

It's not "giving up on him" if it's to draft Trevor Lawrence, a phenom QB. I could see it.

The Jets are as bad as us. They need help all over. Not sure they should be trading a boatload of picks. They also have not done Darnold any favors wrt what’s around him and coaching.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Jets are as bad as us. They need help all over. Not sure they should be trading a boatload of picks. They also have not done Darnold any favors wrt what’s around him and coaching.

As Bfine said a new coach may want his own guy. Sam Darnold has been underwhelming and coming up on his 5th year option/possible contract. A new coaching staff may think take Lawrence trade Darnold for a second and rebuild.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:33 PM)Synric Wrote: As Bfine said a new coach may want his own guy. Sam Darnold has been underwhelming and coming up on his 5th year option/possible contract. A new coaching staff may think take Lawrence trade Darnold for a second and rebuild.

Certainly possible. They did get extra picks from trading Adams.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Jets are as bad as us. They need help all over. Not sure they should be trading a boatload of picks. They also have not done Darnold any favors wrt what’s around him and coaching.

Not sure you understood my point. I didn't say the Jets should trade a boatload of picks, just that if they had the #1 (as I think they will) they should take Darnold rather than trade down. Some miscommunication here. 

And I agree they did him a huge disservice, but the answer would be to reset with Lawrence, trade Darnold and put talent around Lawrence. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:53 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Not sure you understood my point. I didn't say the Jets should trade a boatload of picks, just that if they had the #1 (as I think they will) they should take Darnold rather than trade down. Some miscommunication here. 

And I agree they did him a huge disservice, but the answer would be to reset with Lawrence, trade Darnold and put talent around Lawrence. 

Fair enough.

Reply/Quote
As much as I would love Sewell. If you can swap 1s this year and pick up a 2 and 3 plus their 1st and 2nd next year you have to. That would be 11 top 100 picks in 2 years. Unless your Cleveland that is hard to screw up. We need a lot. We aren't 1 or 2 player away. With 11 picks you can fix both rg and rt as well as a pass rush end, run stuffing tackle and still have picks to double up or move around if someone slips. I think our db's are ok but with no rush you can't cover for 4 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:00 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: As much as I would love Sewell. If you can swap 1s this year and pick up a 2 and 3 plus their 1st and 2nd next year you have to. That would be 11 top 100 picks in 2 years. Unless your Cleveland that is hard to screw up. We need a lot. We aren't 1 or 2 player away. With 11 picks you can fix both rg and rt as well as a pass rush end, run stuffing tackle and still have picks to double up or move around if someone slips. I think our db's are ok but with no rush you can't cover for 4 seconds.

[Image: tenor.gif]

Cedric Ogbuehi
Billy Price
John Ross
Jake Fisher
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Willis
Nick Vigil
Paul Dawson
Will Clarke
Margus Hunt
Devon Still
Dontay Moch
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman

We drafted all those guys in the top 100...

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

Cedric Ogbuehi
Billy Price
John Ross
Jake Fisher
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Willis
Nick Vigil
Paul Dawson
Will Clarke
Margus Hunt
Devon Still
Dontay Moch
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman

We drafted all those guys in the top 100...
Proving my point. Your odds are better with more picks. Look howw many we missed on. Thanks for listing those.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:35 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Proving my point. Your odds are better with more picks. Look howw many we missed on. Thanks for listing those.

Not sure it exactly proved your point, you said only Cleveland could screw up that many picks. Have we really drafted much better in recent years? When’s the last time we absolutely killed a draft? 2011? I’m talking franchise changing impact players.

But you’re right more chances certainly could help. Like I said though, I see them as lottery tickets, whereas Sewell is closer to money in the bank as far as I’m concerned. If he stays healthy kid has the makings to be a perennial All Pro at the 2nd most important position on the field.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:08 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As presently constituted the Bengals will once again have #1OA.  There’s no “tank for Trevor” going on in Cincinnati; the Bengals are just historically terrible up and down the entire roster and in the coaching offices.  This is worse than the 1990s.  Let that sink in for a minute.  

Now here’s the good news, sort of:  Zac Taylor drafts pretty well so far.  He may be in over his head as a coach but as a judge of talent he’s above average.

Jonah Williams is going to be good.  Don’t forget he’s essentially a rookie.

Drew Sample might be the most underrated Zac Taylor pick ever.  He’s an excellent blocker and he might have the best hands on the team with the exception of AJ Green.

Germaine Pratt is making plays here and there.  He’s not the second coming of Ray Lewis but he’s effective.

Joe Burrow will be great if he can stay upright.

Tee Higgins needs the ball more.  He’s better than John Ross already.  

Logan Wilson doesn’t miss many tackles.

The 2021 draft will be critical.  It’s not like everyone doesn’t know what the Bengals need.

You need to take a walk or something.  Did we have a QB like Joe Burrow in the 90's?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Definitely not JAX. Minshew has shown enough they don’t need to trade away a king’s ransom out of desperation for a QB.

I honestly don’t know that there will be as many crazy offers as some might think. Even as good a prospect as Lawrence is. There’s so many young QB’s around the league right now. Teams either firmly have their guy, or it’s still early on. I’d say maybe the Colts, but do they want to give Eason a shot first? I don’t see Chicago trading up yet again. And they still seem hopeful for Trubisky. Maybe Detroit?

Watching Mahommes and Burrow, I think teams will pay a fortune for him even though what I saw when facing LSU defense (which wasn't that good), he ran well but struggled passing the ball.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:25 PM)McC Wrote: You need to take a walk or something.  Did we have a QB like Joe Burrow in the 90's?

Mike Brown thought we did — several times over!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't know why folks are writing off Jonah at LT. Prior to the 2020 draft the PFF crew was on Sirius talking about draft grades. They listed their top 2 prospects at every position since they began grading college players. Jonah was one of them (Tunsil the other) and they said no one in the 2020 draft rated higher than either. 

He had one bad game as a rookie.  If you don't play great every game or at least have somebody the fans hate worse than you that they can blame for your failures in some convoluted way, you're a bum.  For example, if they moved Hart to LG, he'd never get blamed for anything because it would be all Hart"s fault.

Personally, we've got the QB.  If we're in a position where somebody wants to come up for Trevor or Fields, you take the boatload of picks.  The cap is going down next year, so having quality players on rookie deals is that much more valuable.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:20 AM)Brimey Wrote: Bengals have a lot of needs. If they pick #1, trading down a few picks is absolutely the best move. There are serious flaws everywhere on the roster except maybe safety and qb

Same flaws we had last year... and trading the pick was unacceptable...

We built the team backwards... but he it is the Bengals way.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote