Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock expansion draft
OK so let’s say there was going to be an expansion draft and you could only protect 10 players (5 on D and 5 on O) who would you protect and why? Also if you were the expansion team and you could pick only 1 player from each team who would your Bengals pick be?
Most are no brainers but I want to see if there are any surprises....

Protect:
Offense - Dalton Green Boyd Mixon Price
Defense - Atkins Dunlap Bates Jackson Hubbard

Hard to decide on the last defender but Lawson’s ACL lets me feel comfortable leaving him unprotected.

Expansion selection: this would obviously depend on who other teams make available but strangely enough most of the choices I like are actually on defense but I would consider Dre K, Vigil, Evans, Dennard, Willis, Gio, Ross.

If I had a innovative offensive coach I think I might take a chance on Ross.
Boling and Gio are good players but more expensive and at positions that are not at a premium in the NFL. However, if I needed a guard or RB I would take one of them for sure.
Reply/Quote
If there was an expansion draft these wouldn't be the limitations, what you have prescribed isn't reasonable.

Most likely the scenario It would be the ability to protect 40 players at any position.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
This may also help for another way of doing it..

NFL expansion draft rules
Unlike the NHL — which allows teams to protect players from being selected — NFL teams have had to do the opposite and choose a list of players to make available. Assuming the league sticks to the same rules, each of the current 32 franchises would have to put five players on the list, giving the new expansion team a list of 160 players to pick from.

In addition...teams would have to follow these rules....

No kickers and punters
No players set to become free agents
No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve
Only one player with 10 or more years of experience
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
It seems like when teams do expansion drafts that they don't always pick the best player. They factor in contract.

On our team, a guy like Mixon/Boyd/Price might be the most desirable due to contract.
Reply/Quote
It's reached the saturation point and has been that way for awhile now, but eventually older fans die off and new fans are born. If anything I would think that American style football is on the wain and soccer style on the up and up eventually because of demographic shifts and the social ills of the violent nature of American style football. 

That said...Here's a list a few years old. https://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/top-10-markets-worthy-of-an-nfl-franchise/ Amazingly both Louisville and Columbus are in their top 10. You think PBS has a tough time selling out now? Add those two to the mix.. lol  Cinciwhere?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 03:29 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: OK so let’s say there was going to be an expansion draft and you could only protect 10 players (5 on D and 5 on O) who would you protect and why?  Also if you were the expansion team and you could pick only 1 player from each team who would your Bengals pick be?
Most are no brainers but I want to see if there are any surprises....

Protect:
Offense - Dalton Green Boyd Mixon Price
Defense - Atkins Dunlap Bates Jackson Hubbard

Hard to decide on the last defender but Lawson’s ACL lets me feel comfortable leaving him unprotected.  

Expansion selection:  this would obviously depend on who other teams make available but strangely enough most of the choices I like are actually on defense but I would consider Dre K, Vigil, Evans, Dennard, Willis, Gio, Ross.

If I had a innovative offensive coach I think I might take a chance on Ross.
Boling and Gio are good players but more expensive and at positions that are not at a premium in the NFL.  However, if I needed a guard or RB I would take one of them for sure.

I'd keep Boling over Boyd and Burfict over Hubbard. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 12:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd keep Boling over Boyd and Burfict over Hubbard. 

Would you change either of these now?
Reply/Quote