Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mocking a draft
This draft is done under the assumption that we sign at least 1 of Whit or Zeitler. My gut says we resign Whit to a 2 year deal and let Westerman take over the starting guard position from Zeitler. Boling should be 100% healthy and we still have Hopkins on the team. I also believe we will trade McCarron for a 2nd and a 4th rounder as some team will be in desperate need of a QB and this class isn't the greatest and with these 2 picks we can draft a guard and whatever other position they feel they need depth at. I also believe we will make a run at resigning Lafell and possibly Kirkpatrick.

9: R1P9  LB REUBEN FOSTER ALABAMA
- Instantly upgrades our LB position. Starters are now Burfict, Foster, and Vigil with Dawson, Beckwith, and Vinnie being the primary backups.

41: R2P9  EDGE TACO CHARLTON MICHIGAN
- Gives us a good pass rusher outside of Dunlap. Probably won't start over MJ even though he should, but he could rotate in with Marcus Hardison to give us 2 young pass rushers.

73: R3P9   C ETHAN POCIC LSU
- Comes in and competes at C hopefully knocking Bodine to a backup interior role where he may be better suited to play G.

114: R4P9  OT ERIK MAGNUSON MICHIGAN
- Tackle depth and someone who could supplant Ced or Fisher if they do not take grasp of the starter role.

137: R4P32  WR COOPER KUPP EASTERN WASHINGTON
- WR wasn't high on my needs list with this team due to having AJ along with drafting both Boyd and Core who were able to produce and should get better.

144: R4P39  LB KENDELL BECKWITH LSU
- Added depth to our poor LB unit, could come in and start in the event of an injury or poor play.

154: R5P9  CB DAMONTAE KAZEE SAN DIEGO ST.
- Right now we have 4 CB's signed on the roster. I believe the starters will be WJ3 and Shaw on the outside with Dennard in the slot and Russel being the primary backup. Kazee gives us a tough albeit undersized CB to come off of the bench. I think we cut Jones and try to resign either Kirk or another FA. If we resign Kirk then he is implanted as a starter opposite WJ3.

194: R6P9  EDGE DYLAN COLE MISSOURI ST.
- Another athletic pass rusher. Probably doesn't see much time unless he blows away the coaches in camp and pre-season.

218: R6P33  S TONY CONNER MISSISSIPPI
- Depth to come in and compete for a roster spot. Most likely ST if he makes it.

221: R6P36  DL JOSH AUGUSTA MISSOURI
- Depth to come in and compete for a backup spot. Probably a practice squad player.

230: R7P9  QB GUNNER KIEL CINCINNATI
- Has the physical tools, needs to learn to make better decisions. Makes trading McCarron a little easier to deal with.
Reply/Quote
Nice job! I like this mock, almost as much as my own.

At first, I was leery of the idea of 6'7" Center, but from what I have read about his Sr. Bowl practices, Pocic seems to be the real deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 11:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice job!  I like this mock, almost as much as my own.  

At first, I was leery of the idea of 6'7" Center, but from what I have read about his Sr. Bowl practices, Pocic seems to be the real deal.

Thanks man! I think it hit's a lot of needs with good players. Pocic is big, but I'm wondering if his height would have an effect more on Dalton or DT/NT up the middle.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 11:09 AM)Crowe Wrote: This draft is done under the assumption that we sign at least 1 of Whit or Zeitler. My gut says we resign Whit to a 2 year deal and let Westerman take over the starting guard position from Zeitler. Boling should be 100% healthy and we still have Hopkins on the team. I also believe we will trade McCarron for a 2nd and a 4th rounder as some team will be in desperate need of a QB and this class isn't the greatest and with these 2 picks we can draft a guard and whatever other position they feel they need depth at. I also believe we will make a run at resigning Lafell and possibly Kirkpatrick.

9: R1P9  LB REUBEN FOSTER ALABAMA
- Instantly upgrades our LB position. Starters are now Burfict, Foster, and Vigil with Dawson, Beckwith, and Vinnie being the primary backups.

41: R2P9  EDGE TACO CHARLTON MICHIGAN
- Gives us a good pass rusher outside of Dunlap. Probably won't start over MJ even though he should, but he could rotate in with Marcus Hardison to give us 2 young pass rushers.

73: R3P9   C ETHAN POCIC LSU
- Comes in and competes at C hopefully knocking Bodine to a backup interior role where he may be better suited to play G.

114: R4P9  OT ERIK MAGNUSON MICHIGAN
- Tackle depth and someone who could supplant Ced or Fisher if they do not take grasp of the starter role.

137: R4P32  WR COOPER KUPP EASTERN WASHINGTON
- WR wasn't high on my needs list with this team due to having AJ along with drafting both Boyd and Core who were able to produce and should get better.

144: R4P39  LB KENDELL BECKWITH LSU
- Added depth to our poor LB unit, could come in and start in the event of an injury or poor play.

154: R5P9  CB DAMONTAE KAZEE SAN DIEGO ST.
- Right now we have 4 CB's signed on the roster. I believe the starters will be WJ3 and Shaw on the outside with Dennard in the slot and Russel being the primary backup. Kazee gives us a tough albeit undersized CB to come off of the bench. I think we cut Jones and try to resign either Kirk or another FA. If we resign Kirk then he is implanted as a starter opposite WJ3.

194: R6P9  EDGE DYLAN COLE MISSOURI ST.
- Another athletic pass rusher. Probably doesn't see much time unless he blows away the coaches in camp and pre-season.

218: R6P33  S TONY CONNER MISSISSIPPI
- Depth to come in and compete for a roster spot. Most likely ST if he makes it.

221: R6P36  DL JOSH AUGUSTA MISSOURI
- Depth to come in and compete for a backup spot. Probably a practice squad player.

230: R7P9  QB GUNNER KIEL CINCINNATI
- Has the physical tools, needs to learn to make better decisions. Makes trading McCarron a little easier to deal with.

Good mock but I have a couple problems. First westerman isn't even the backup as we saw Johnson is. Westerman is the third stringer. That's one reason I'm so high on elflien bc he can play both positions at an elite level. As far as the corners we cannot count on dennard to be healthy. This is his 4th year and hasn't made it through a single training camp healthy. And even when he  is on the field he allowed a 86 percent completion rate. So that would leave us with absolutely no depth. I personally would love to see us resign all of our big three and go out and sign aj bouye who finally had a great year kind of like Kirkpatrick sign them both. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 06:14 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Good mock but I have a couple problems. First westerman isn't even the backup as we saw Johnson is. Westerman is the third stringer. That's one reason I'm so high on elflien bc he can play both positions at an elite level. As far as the corners we cannot count on dennard to be healthy. This is his 4th year and hasn't made it through a single training camp healthy. And even when he  is on the field he allowed a 86 percent completion rate. So that would leave us with absolutely no depth. I personally would love to see us resign all of our big three and go out and sign aj bouye who finally had a great year kind of like Kirkpatrick sign them both. 

Thanks. You must assume that I think Westerman is inline to play C, he is not, he is a guard who rated very highly in college. If we do not resign Zeitler, Westerman will be the starting RG, Johnson is a backup C and he has 3 or 4 years of service already so he was the second man on the depth chart which should be expected. As far as Dennard, yes he has injuries, but remember before last season in 2015 he was playing great until his shoulder injury. We still have a talented CB stable even if we lose Kirk and let Jones go(hopefully) so I do think we will either draft a CB at some point or at least sign a competent free agent. AJ Bouye would be a solid signing and I've even been on board with with bringing in him or Gilmore if we don't resign Kirk
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 09:27 AM)Crowe Wrote: Thanks. You must assume that I think Westerman is inline to play C, he is not, he is a guard who rated very highly in college. If we do not resign Zeitler, Westerman will be the starting RG, Johnson is a backup C and he has 3 or 4 years of service already so he was the second man on the depth chart which should be expected. As far as Dennard, yes he has injuries, but remember before last season in 2015 he was playing great until his shoulder injury. We still have a talented CB stable even if we lose Kirk and let Jones go(hopefully) so I do think we will either draft a CB at some point or at least sign a competent free agent. AJ Bouye would be a solid signing and I've even been on board with with bringing in him or Gilmore if we don't resign Kirk
No I was talking about Johnson at guard... he played lg against Baltimore which leads me to believe he's the backup plan at guard. And yeah but he took a step back this year majorly. He allowed a 86 percent completion rate.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 11:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: No I was talking about Johnson at guard... he played lg against Baltimore which leads me to believe he's the backup plan at guard. And yeah but he took a step back this year majorly. He allowed a 86 percent completion rate.

Johnson replaced Bodine vs. BALTIMORE. Zeigler played all season.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 01:39 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Johnson replaced Bodine vs. BALTIMORE. Zeigler played all season.

The final game of the season against Baltimore, Clint Boling was placed on IR and Johnson started in his place. He and Trey Hopkins actually rotated in that spot that day.
Reply/Quote
It's a nice draft but isn't there a good chance Taco goes in the bottom of the first?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 08:25 PM)McC Wrote: It's a nice draft but isn't there a good chance Taco goes in the bottom of the first?

Yes, and same with Pocic. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 12:53 AM)Shady Wrote: Yes, and same with Pocic. 

It's possible. There are always players who rise or fall especially with leading up to the combine and afterwards. Now that Taco is gaining steam that selection could obviously change as well as Pocic and tbh any other picks.
Reply/Quote