Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money spending time
First the battery in my van decided I needed to recharge it every day so I bought a nice new Interstate battery for $225. I got tired of the cheapo brands..
Same day our furnace decided to crap out so it needs a new heat exchanger and burners..I can tell it's getting closer to Christmas..I'm just glad my kids and grandkids all live at least 2 states away this time of year.. Did I mention that I can't wait for December 26th? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is living proof vehicle and home expenses always rise to match one’s salary.
Reply/Quote
Is the van down by the river?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 01:15 PM)grampahol Wrote: First the battery in my van decided I needed to recharge it every day so I bought a nice new Interstate battery for $225. I got tired of the cheapo brands..
Same day our furnace decided to crap out so it needs a new heat exchanger and burners..I can tell it's getting closer to Christmas..I'm just glad my kids and grandkids all live at least 2 states away this time of year.. Did I mention that I can't wait for December 26th? 

I can relate to your pain.

It was about this time last year that I had just blown more than I could afford on some renovations when it became clear the 30 year old roof was shot, only to have that replacement completed and learn in the first week of December that the 24 year old heat pump system had an irreparable break down.
Reply/Quote
I got a McRib meal the other day, and it was over $10. A little piece of my soul wept, or maybe it was my gut. Hard to tell.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I've got you all beat.  My septic tank system just failed after 40 years.  Now I am being told that not only do I have to replace the entire leach field, but I now have to have a second septic tank with and electric pump to force the sewage uphill to where the new lines have to be.

When I got the permit showing the field in our front yard I told the installer that we have a water line that runs through our front line.  He said that he would talk to the guy who issued the permit to see if that would help get us a break.  Instead the permit guy said we have to move the entire water line because the front yard is the only place we can put the septic lines. And there is not another house withing a quarter mile of me.

This is going to cost major money.  I am guessing $10-$15K.  And then I will have a complicated system that will not work when the elctric is out and will probably break down regularly.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 12:04 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: I've got you all beat.  My septic tank system just failed after 40 years.  Now I am being told that not only do I have to replace the entire leach field, but I now have to have a second septic tank with and electric pump to force the sewage uphill to where the new lines have to be.

When I got the permit showing the field in our front yard I told the installer that we have a water line that runs through our front line.  He said that he would talk to the guy who issued the permit to see if that would help get us a break.  Instead the permit guy said we have to move the entire water line because the front yard is the only place we can put the septic lines. And there is not another house withing a quarter mile of me.

This is going to cost major money.  I am guessing $10-$15K.  And then I will have a complicated system that will not work when the elctric is out and will probably break down regularly.
Probably should eat a lot of constipating foods.. Just to be safe.. Cool

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 05:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: Probably should eat a lot of constipating foods.. Just to be safe.. Cool

I have to be very careful about that because apparently I am already completely full of sheet.
Reply/Quote
Our unplanned Christmas gift to ourselves this year? New washing machine!! Why? The 12 year old $700 one crapped out and has a repair tag of $1300.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Our unplanned Christmas gift to ourselves this year?  New washing machine!!  Why? The 12 year old $700 one crapped out and has a repair tag of $1300.

Shoulda bought a Speedqueen..  You never see those things sitting out on the curb in front of someone's house waiting for the scrap metal guys to pick up.. Those things are built to last a lifetime..

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Shoulda bought a Speedqueen..  You never see those things sitting out on the curb in front of someone's house waiting for the scrap metal guys to pick up.. Those things are built to last a lifetime..

Funny you should say that, the repair man suggested them but it is way out of our budget.
Reply/Quote