Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mookie Betts
(10-03-2019, 03:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If you look at the changes of personnel at the farm levels, it looks like the Reds are serious about turning things around.  Kyle Boddy is a big deal.  Huge Deal.  He is founder of Driveline think tank.  I believe Bauer trains with them.  They use biomechanics and data that will improve pitching at the farm level but also has had success at the MLB level.  The Reds will have the top pitching in the league at some point or at least near the top.  This meshes well with Bell's philosophy and data analysis.  Read the link below:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/reds-hire-kyle-boddy-driveline-baseball.html

The Reds fired Turner Ward which means they need to find a batting coach guru.  I see the Reds heading in the right direction and have a jump start on the Bengals.  

Give the Bengals 3 more years and they may be in the modern era of the "new" NFL along with LAR, KC, Saints.   At least I hope so.  Also, Mike Brown turned 84 this year.  He is approaching his 90's. His time of reigning the Bengals front office is approaching an end. It is hard to fathom that Mike is the son of Paul Brown.  What a waste of 30 years... 

I have mixed feelings on Boddy. I’m not against new concepts and this kinda incorporates money ball type philosophies. His biggest success story is Bauer who looked rather crappy this year. My guess is that some things will work with some guys and some will backfire on others. Most things have been tried to some degree over the last 150 years. I’m not opposed to going with him but I wouldn’t call him a genius guru yet. Don’t get me started on the Bengals. Lol
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 07:17 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I have mixed feelings on Boddy. I’m not against new concepts and this kinda incorporates money ball type philosophies. His biggest success story is Bauer who looked rather crappy this year. My guess is that some things will work with some guys and some will backfire on others. Most things have been tried to some degree over the last 150 years. I’m not opposed to going with him but I wouldn’t call him a genius guru yet.   Don’t get me started on the Bengals. Lol

I tend to agree. I'm not down on Boddy at all, but I'm not particularly sold on him turning everything around overnight either. The one bit of information I gleaned from reading about how they plan to use him is primarily throughout the minor league system with development rather than at the major league level with established starters. That could really pay huge dividends down the road if successful. The Reds have had some real problems in recent years developing young pitching almost to the point of completely depleting their farm system.
I think they've decided to finally start really developing a solid farm system since they really can't compete for big ticket FAs the way some of the big market teams can. I just don't see the Reds going full out in FA for the likes of Betts. I'd like to see him with the team, but not if the only thing they can afford going forward is one stud center fielder at the expense of 7 other position players. 
Quote:Don’t get me started on the Bengals

They're not even remotely comparable other than both having stadiums in Cincinnati along the Ohio river. The comparisons pretty much end right there. The Reds have gone through several ownership changes in my life watching them while the Bengals have had one family running them into the ground since their inception..  They may have started off with a decent owner, but the moment the old man died it slid right off the edge and has never really recovered. In case you're wondering here's a bit of Reds ownership history. https://redlegnation.com/2005/11/06/reds-history-owners/ It's been largely a mixed bag with ownership group #7 having the most long term success to date from 67-84. The article pretty much stops in 05 with nothing beyond then.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 02:00 AM)grampahol Wrote: I tend to agree. I'm not down on Boddy at all, but I'm not particularly sold on him turning everything around overnight either. The one bit of information I gleaned from reading about how they plan to use him is primarily throughout the minor league system with development rather than at the major league level with established starters. That could really pay huge dividends down the road if successful. The Reds have had some real problems in recent years developing young pitching almost to the point of completely depleting their farm system.
I think they've decided to finally start really developing a solid farm system since they really can't compete for big ticket FAs the way some of the big market teams can. I just don't see the Reds going full out in FA for the likes of Betts. I'd like to see him with the team, but not if the only thing they can afford going forward is one stud center fielder at the expense of 7 other position players. 

They're not even remotely comparable other than both having stadiums in Cincinnati along the Ohio river. The comparisons pretty much end right there. The Reds have gone through several ownership changes in my life watching them while the Bengals have had one family running them into the ground since their inception..  They may have started off with a decent owner, but the moment the old man died it slid right off the edge and has never really recovered. In case you're wondering here's a bit of Reds ownership history. https://redlegnation.com/2005/11/06/reds-history-owners/ It's been largely a mixed bag with ownership group #7 having the most long term success to date from 67-84. The article pretty much stops in 05 with nothing beyond then.. 

If the plan with Boddy works out, it would be nice to find an equivalent for position players. Maybe some of his strengthening techniques can transfer. The Reds have kinda gotten a pass compared to the Bengals. The Bengals have had 7 winning years over the last 15. The Reds have had 3.
Reply/Quote
I'm hearing the Cincinnati reds are taking a long hard look at Grandal this worries me a little bit because he's going to command a large salary and I don't see him hitting beyond average even though he has some power. If they're looking to spend that kind of money they should signed Betts
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 02:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'm hearing the Cincinnati reds are taking a long hard look at Grandal this worries me a little bit because he's going to command a large salary and I don't see him hitting beyond average even though he has some power. If they're looking to spend that kind of money they should signed Betts

The amount that he approves the offense won’t justify that much of a salary jump.
Reply/Quote