Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moon Landing 50th anniversary.
Were you alive?  Do you remember anything from that day/time?

I was born a few months later but I've always been fascinated with space and astronomy so I have always read and watched stories of the space race and our program.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I remember it like I was two years old, which I was, so I don't. Must have been absolutely stunning for the whole nation. World.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-16-2019, 10:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I remember it like I was two years old, which I was, so I don't.  Must have been absolutely stunning for the whole nation.  World.

That's what I think too.  You and I are close enough in age to have certain cultural touchstones like "Who shot JR", the last episode of MASH, Elvis' death, Reagan getting shot, The Challenger explosion, the first Gulf War...things that got complete coverage and had a majority of us watching the same thing.

The moon landing had to be something on a completely different scale.

I almost added Watergate hearings but I was still a bit too young for that.  
(07-16-2019, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's what I think too.  You and I are close enough in age to have certain cultural touchstones like "Who shot JR", the last episode of MASH, Elvis' death, Reagan getting shot, The Challenger explosion, the first Gulf War...things that got complete coverage and had a majority of us watching the same thing.

The moon landing had to be something on a completely different scale.

I almost added Watergate hearings but I was still a bit too young for that.  

Yup all those things, and none would compare. Challenger is one of those where I remember exactly where I was. Dana Ave just leaving Xavier University. Reagan being shot I was in Miss Corbett's math class. John lennon being killed, I was sitting in the big chair in our family room.  I remember Watergate happening, and that Nixon was in trouble, but I had no comprehension of what was really happening.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-16-2019, 10:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yup all those things, and none would compare.  Challenger is one of those where I remember exactly where I was.  Dana Ave just leaving Xavier University.  Reagan being shot I was in Miss Corbett's math class.  John lennon being killed, I was sitting in the big chair in our family room.  I remember Watergate happening, and that Nixon was in trouble, but I had no comprehension of what was really happening.  

Challenger we had the day off from school so I slept in.  I remember turning on the news and seeing the smoke (it was a replay on the news) and telling my mother that something went wrong because it should NOT look like that.  I was in grade school when Reagan got shot and we were doing government and elections where we all had a role in the admin...I was Alexander Haig!  LOL! I honestly don't remember Lennon or Watergate.  I was 11 when Lennon was killed but I probably wasn't up watching the news and found out the next day.
(07-16-2019, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Challenger we had the day off from school so I slept in.  I remember turning on the news and seeing the smoke (it was a replay on the news) and telling my mother that something went wrong because it should NOT look like that.  I was in grade school when Reagan got shot and we were doing government and elections where we all had a role in the admin...I was Alexander Haig!  LOL! I honestly don't remember Lennon or Watergate.  I was 11 when Lennon was killed but I probably wasn't up watching the news and found out the next day.

Did you tell the teacher to sit the hell down and that you were now in charge.   Hilarious

(07-16-2019, 09:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: Were you alive?  Do you remember anything from that day/time?

I was born a few months later but I've always been fascinated with space and astronomy so I have always read and watched stories of the space race and our program.

I don't remember it but I have a good reason, I wasn't born yet but I was in my mother womb so I saw it from her eyes Big Grin

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(07-16-2019, 11:01 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Did you tell the teacher to sit the hell down and that you were now in charge.   Hilarious

I do remember saying that the next day!  LOL!
I was still in utero when we landed on the moon -- but I met Buzz Aldrin last month! He came to an event at WPAFB.
I was 7 and I remember all the fuss about us landing on the moon when it first happened.  For a long time I thought I remembered watching Armstrong take the first step on the moon, but I had it confused with another moon landing that I watched while spending the night with one of my friends.  But I did grow up drinking Tang; eating "space sticks"; and collecting cereal box tops to get a free toy "moon rover".  Onee year for Chistmas I got a huge detailed model of one of the Apollo Saturn rockets with the landing module and everything.  It was way too complicated for me to put together properly, but I glued it up and had a lot of fun playing with it.

One thing most people today don't remember about the moon landing is that a lot of people protested against it.  They claimed it cost way to much money when there were so many issues with poverty in the United States.
I wasn't old enough to be alive when the moon landing happened, but I did own Moon Patrol for the Atari 2600.
(07-16-2019, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Challenger we had the day off from school so I slept in.  I remember turning on the news and seeing the smoke (it was a replay on the news) and telling my mother that something went wrong because it should NOT look like that.  I was in grade school when Reagan got shot and we were doing government and elections where we all had a role in the admin...I was Alexander Haig!  LOL! I honestly don't remember Lennon or Watergate.  I was 11 when Lennon was killed but I probably wasn't up watching the news and found out the next day.

I think we we're watching Monday Night Football, when Howard Cosell interrupted the play by play, to tell us the news that John Lennon had been killed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-02-2020, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think we we're watching Monday Night Football, when Howard Cosell interrupted the play by play, to tell us the news that John Lennon had been killed.

Yeah, he had the breaking news.  I meant that I didn't hear the news when it was announced because I was probably in bed already...lol.

(01-03-2020, 09:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, he had the breaking news.  I meant that I didn't hear the news when it was announced because I was probably in bed already...lol.

Hmmm....Brady must have been injured.

(01-03-2020, 10:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Hmmm....Brady must have been injured.

Probably still kissing boys his age on the lips and not his sons.  Ninja