Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More BULLSH*T from Fox Sports on Burrow
That was nauseating to listen to.

I don't understand a lot of the narrative in recent weeks regarding the Bengals and Burrow. Why are the Bengals seen as this pariah of the NFL that no sportsman would want to play for? Until recently we were a regular contender in the post season (limited success in the post season but we still got there). Other teams, including the Dolphins, have had much worse decades/recent histories than us. Why are they deemed acceptable landing spots? Isn't the whole point of the draft and the way it's conducted (worst goes first) to increase the competition level of the league? They can't slate the Bengals for being poor, and them insult them as they try to improve.

Take solace in that the media dislike for small towns/markets and blatant favouritism for big cites is not unique to the NFL. I've never got why the Cowboys get all the attention they do over here? As far as I can tell they've been average for a long time, and yet they're the live broadcast game in the UK seemingly every other week. The year Huddersfield were promoted to the Premier League, every pundit predicted us to be relegated...completely ignoring all pre season signings and innovations we'd brought in. No research, just easy to say Huddersfield will struggle (unfashionable Northern town).......sounds very familiar.....
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's the full quotes in context:

--- Now his sights are set on the NFL as next week's draft rapidly approaches with the Cincinnati Bengals on the clock. It has been reported that the Bengals have "maxed out" their allotted three, one hour calls with Burrow every week, leaving little doubt in people's minds where Burrow will end up.

--- Burrow said that regardless of the situation he goes to, he knows he'll have to work extremely hard to build a winning culture within the organization. The pre draft process has been nothing like Burrow expected because of the COVID-19 outbreak, but he's making the best of the circumstances as he's home with his parents currently in Athens, Ohio.

"It's been super weird because you have zoom meetings and then it's like high school again, I'm stuck at home with my parents and the only time I get out of the house is to workout," Burrow said. "Let's just say it's not been how I envisioned my pre draft process going. 

"Whatever team I go to is going to be a challenge at the beginning and I'm going to have to persevere through it. Without OTA's this year, you're going to have less time with your team so there's going to be ups and downs but you've gotta battle through it."

--- Burrow noted how the draft process used by the NFL and other sports leagues differs from those in other professions.

"Engineers don't get drafted to certain companies," Burrow said "That's kind of peculiar in the capitalistic ways of the United States. But that's how it is. And the teams that have the worst year pick at that the top and that's why they're there."

--- The projected top pick said complications caused by the global pandemic creates more uncertainty in joining a team such as the Bengals.

"You might have a really good first year," Burrow said. "You might have a really bad first year. You don't really know, especially without OTAs this year. You're going to have less time with your team. So there's going to be ups and downs, for sure. You're just going to have to battle through it."
Agree with the kid.  Pretty smart kid, I guess I'm missing the cocky part people are talking about. 
Reply/Quote
I was thinking if Miami wants to give us four 1st round picks for Burrow we should take it. If Miami is as bad as we think then he's just going to win 7 or 8 games there every year and we will look like geniuses.

Take the picks and tank for Trevor. Trevor plus four extra 1st round picks could be a legit dynasty.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was thinking if Miami wants to give us four 1st round picks for Burrow we should take it. If Miami is as bad as we think then he's just going to win 7 or 8 games there every year and we will look like geniuses.

Take the picks and tank for Trevor. Trevor plus four extra 1st round picks could be a legit dynasty.

Except for the fact that Lawrence is not this all-world beater that people think he is.

He has had the best college D of the millennium (in terms of NFL talent), both of his years in the league.

The NC showed that when things are put on his back, he chokes... and that he's not as untouchable as people think (plus, his horrid start to the year still had his D bailing him out, winning games less-talented teams would lose).

And he looks like a woman.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was thinking if Miami wants to give us four 1st round picks for Burrow we should take it. If Miami is as bad as we think then he's just going to win 7 or 8 games there every year and we will look like geniuses.

Trevor got outed in the playoffs last year.  He looked bad in both games.  I'll stick with the guy who outplayed him frontwards, backwards, up, down and sideways.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Couple things about the Tank for Trevor idea.

1. We'd need to be picking #1 or #2 next year to even have a shot. We've made strong additions in free agency. We are getting Jonah Williams and AJ Green back. To be picking top 2 again, we would need another year of catastrophic injuries at key positions and poor QB play. Certainly possible, but hardly something you can plan.

2. I don't think Zac Taylor signed up to intentionally tank a season. And even if the organization gave him another grace year, what's the plan? Dump Dalton and roll with Ryan Finley for a whole year? They make that announcement and I'm not even gonna bother tuning into games this year. And that's to say nothing about actual game attendance.

3. Here's the reality. We don't know what the next few months are going to look like with the COVID situation. Suppose things are still locked down well into June/July. What if there isn't a college football season? We are in uncharted territory here. If we assume a worst case and CFB is postponed for an entire season, I don't know if players will be given an extra year of eligibility, or if they'll be allowed to forgo the lost year and declare earlier. Either way, you're left with 1) Lawrence not coming out next year, or 2) him declaring as a sophomore after having not played for an entire year. But even if we assume a best case scenario, the COVID situation gets under control, and college football proceeds as normal in the fall, there is still no guarantee that Lawrence declares next year regardless.

The plan doesn't work for a variety of reasons. Given the level of uncertainty right now, I would argue it's that much more critical to grab your guy THIS YEAR.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Why are we even talking about Trevor Lawrence at this point? Burrow is the guy.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 07:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are we even talking about Trevor Lawrence at this point? Burrow is the guy.

Just something to talk about.  There is a 99.9999% chance it's Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s no secret he’s not crazy about coming here. Other than “being home for dinner” I’ve never seen him say anything about being happy to play here. All that matters is that he is willing to.

A couple of things... First; I'm pretty sure everyone would choose Miami's climate, and lack of state tax. Second; who cares if he doesn't wanna come to Cincinnati? He's gonna have to. Does anyone really think any of our first round picks over the last 20 years really wanted to play for the Bengals? But they did... And many of them stayed.

Joe Burrow is being asked loaded questions, and being diplomatic with his answers. The talking heads are dissecting it all due to lack of topics. This will all be forgotten when he's drafted, and starts giving generic player speak answers. At least I hope...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The Bengals would be smart to surround him with friends/familiar faces in this draft to ease his displeasure at being here. I think Jason hit it on the head about that and I agree. It's not a secret most players aren't "thrilled" to initially become a Bengal. But, they gradually appreciate the city.

I wouldn't be shocked or disagree at all if the Bengals' first 3 picks were Burrow/Hellaire/Cushenberry. Or something to that effect.

Then, he'd be on a squad with several players he's familiar with and friends with.
We already know he's good friends with Hubbard. And, he knows Price and Jordan already too.

Shoot, according to round grades, I wouldn't be shocked if they trade down in the 2nd to get an extra high 3rd or low 2nd, and add someone like Malik Harrison as well. All LSU/OSU players, very familiar with Burrow.
Screw it! Draft Damien Lewis or Saahdiq Charles later too. Take his linemen, and RB. Draft his best friend on the team, Thad Moss in the 4th round. Or, 1-2 of the LB's in the 6th and 7th in Divinity or Phillips. If any of these guys including Sullivan at TE doesn't get drafted? Hey man, you want to come play with your boy Burrow???

That's what you're supposed to do after drafting a "Savior" or "Franchise QB". MAKE THEM HAPPY!

That draft should be dedicated to him to ease the transition.
Reply/Quote

WhoDey2 I wouldn't give Miami the #1OA for 8 1st round picks, 7 2nd round picks and 13 3rd round picks. For Tua or Trevor. Tua or Trevor aren't franchise changing QBs...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:33 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I wouldn't give Miami the #1OA for 8 1st round picks, 7 2nd round picks and 13 3rd round picks. For Tua or Trevor. Tua or Trevor aren't franchise changing QBs...

I wouldn't give up Burrow for 100 first round picks and sex with every super model on earth....beat that one!
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't give up Burrow for 100 first round picks and sex with every super model on earth....beat that one!
WhoDey2 Hilarious  can't. You win... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow, when asked on @1045espn on being the No. 1 pick and potentially going to Cincinnati: "Whatever team I go to, it's going to be a challenge to begin in. I'm going to have to persevere through it, just like I've done in the past."

By running away to another team when things get tough?  Smirk

In this interpretation, anyone who works for a company and quits for a better opportunity elsewhere is running away. Some would say your statement is peculiar logic. My whole career I’ve changed jobs numerous times in an attempt to maximize my earnings and opportunities. Im very modest, but maximizing my value has worked out well for me. For Burrows he went from being a nobody to best player in college football by changing jobs to maximize his value far beyond what most of us could ever accomplish.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 10:27 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: https://youtu.be/5zKRQGs1Gb8

Let em have it

Follow Nick Wright on Twitter: http://foxs.pt/NickWrightTwitter
Follow Kevin Wildes on Twitter: https://foxs.pt/KevinWildesTwitter

Hey, douchebag....Your Chiefs won exactly what in your lifetime before Mahommes...by your pinhead logic, they should not have been able to draft him.  
Reply/Quote
The whole tank for Trevor thing just can't work here. We added too many guys on defense to be 2-14, 3-13. There's just no way we could be that bad without a ton of guys getting hurt.

Keep in mind that we lost 8 games by 1 score or less. That's not going to happen every year. Those 4 first round picks you got this year will make the team better as well.

and with all that being said, are you going to give up 3 first rounders NEXT year to move up and get Lawrence? Is there even a team that will move off the #1 pick next year with Lawrence coming out? I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
Joe liked this tweet:

Chad Johnson
@ochocinco

@Joe_Burrow10
I know you can see this tweet, don’t answer publicly just save it in your likes as a response, i f***ing love you man, see you in Cincinnati soon #WhoDey

Gotta love Chad! LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The whole tank for Trevor thing just can't work here.  We added too many guys on defense to be 2-14, 3-13.  There's just no way we could be that bad without a ton of guys getting hurt.

Keep in mind that we lost 8 games by 1 score or less.  That's not going to happen every year.  Those 4 first round picks you got this year will make the team better as well.

and with all that being said, are you going to give up 3 first rounders NEXT year to move up and get Lawrence?  Is there even a team that will move off the #1 pick next year with Lawrence coming out?  I doubt it.

Tank for Trevor would be easy....just start Finley.  0-16 here we come!  But HELL NO do I want them to do that.  I want Burrow. 
Reply/Quote

Am I missing something here? If Miami is trading all their 1st picks just to get Burrow, why would the Bengals make that trade and settle for the 2nd or 3rd best QB?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 04:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Am I missing something here? If Miami is trading all their 1st picks just to get Burrow, why would the Bengals make that trade and settle for the 2nd or 3rd best QB?

With all due respect, you, my friend, have been snarked.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote