Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Lawson Hype!
(07-25-2017, 01:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Injury or that he cannot cover are the reasons why he fell.

If Lawson can stay healthy and learn to cover at times the dude could seriously be great.

And i love the Jordan Willis pick as well who breathes football.

These are just the types of pass rushers we needed to add.

Exactly, and double-dipping the DE spot creates competition between the two of them, which is always a good thing.

I love that Willis played so much LDE in college, so we can give Dunlap a rest here and there, and line up with Lawson at RDE.

Rotation, health, energy, speed, strength....all these things we have lacked from this position group for some time....they tried to draft Dunlap and MJ clones in Clark and Hunt, but neither was that spectacular at getting to the QB.  

I am most intrigued by Willis.  Some scouts complained that the speed at the combine didn't translate to the pass rushing abilities on the field.  I clearly saw what they were talking about....in plays where he had to "stay home" to defend the read-option, but when it was third and long and he was "cleared for take-off", I saw a very quick launch and ferocity to get to the QB.  Dude is like Geno in terms of strength, but ran a 4.51 in the forty?  That's just sick.  

Lawson is going to get legitimate shots in terms of playing time.  MJ is a solid run defender, but offers little to no pass rush from such a key spot.  I hope this added pressure leads to generating more turnovers.  That is something that was really lacking from last year's club.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So does this article make Lawson's inevitable nickname "Captain Sweatpants"???
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly, and double-dipping the DE spot creates competition between the two of them, which is always a good thing.

I love that Willis played so much LDE in college, so we can give Dunlap a rest here and there, and line up with Lawson at RDE.

Rotation, health, energy, speed, strength....all these things we have lacked from this position group for some time....they tried to draft Dunlap and MJ clones in Clark and Hunt, but neither was that spectacular at getting to the QB.  

I am most intrigued by Willis.  Some scouts complained that the speed at the combine didn't translate to the pass rushing abilities on the field.  I clearly saw what they were talking about....in plays where he had to "stay home" to defend the read-option, but when it was third and long and he was "cleared for take-off", I saw a very quick launch and ferocity to get to the QB.  Dude is like Geno in terms of strength, but ran a 4.51 in the forty?  That's just sick.  

Lawson is going to get legitimate shots in terms of playing time.  MJ is a solid run defender, but offers little to no pass rush from such a key spot.  I hope this added pressure leads to generating more turnovers.  That is something that was really lacking from last year's club.  

For sure it is in how they are used. Hard to judge Willis in college if he had to stay home on those plays you speak of
and defend the read option. If he can just pin his ears back and rush the passer look out is all i can say, like you said,
he is really strong (maybe not Geno strong) but really strong and has swim and spin moves unlike MJ.

Willis has great bend, all the moves and is a 3 down DE. Hard to not be excited about this player, same with Lawson
as a pass rusher. Still need to see what Lawson offers in coverage or stopping the run though. Hope he is not just a
one trick pony, but if he is atleast he has an outright talent at getting after the QB.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 12:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So does this article make Lawson's inevitable nickname "Captain Sweatpants"???

Nah man, that was when he was a kid.

He is, The Law. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 12:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: he is really strong (maybe not Geno strong) 

Believe it or not...he is.  He put up ridiculous numbers in his bench, squat, and dead lift.  I can't find a link, but he is an absolute beast in the weight room.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 12:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Believe it or not...he is.  He put up ridiculous numbers in his bench, squat, and dead lift.  I can't find a link, but he is an absolute beast in the weight room.  

Geno seems stronger on the field than he does in the weight room, i guess that is what i meant.

Billings is our strongest player in the weight room and he shows that strength on the field as well.

Hope Willis does this as a rookie, would be awesome. Rock On
Reply/Quote
The Bengals MIGHT take a BIG step up. Finishing below .500 will earn us a softer sceduale. Billings and Jackson are virtual rookies. Willis and Lawson are real Rookies. Dennard was a star in college.but he has to shine NOW or adios

If + when healthy Ross can stretch a D. If Eifort can stay healthy, if Boyd makes progress.....the passing can be good. We DO need the young tackles to step up, justify being high picks. I'll miss Burkhead.. but Mixon, Hill, Bernard were high picks with talent.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Geno seems stronger on the field than he does in the weight room, i guess that is what i meant.

Billings is our strongest player in the weight room and he shows that strength on the field as well.

Hope Willis does this as a rookie, would be awesome. Rock On

How about a front four with Willis at LDE, Geno at LDT, Billings at NT, and Lawson at RDE?  I think that is almost 2000lbs of bench press and an a couple tons worth of squats.  Interestingly, all are legendary power lifters in their home states.  

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 07:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: How about a front four with Willis at LDE, Geno at LDT, Billings at NT, and Lawson at RDE?  I think that is almost 2000lbs of bench press and an a couple tons worth of squats.  Interestingly, all are legendary power lifters in their home states.  

ThumbsUp

That would probably be the strongest front in all of football. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would probably be the strongest front in all of football. Shocked

And with Willis and Lawson...one of the fastest on the edge.  Damn, this is going to be fun!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 12:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And with Willis and Lawson...one of the fastest on the edge.  Damn, this is going to be fun!

Hard not to be excited about this Defense man. I keep getting more giddy everyday. TC tomorrow baby, the pads come on!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard not to be excited about this Defense man. I keep getting more giddy everyday. TC tomorrow baby, the pads come on!

After watching the Ratbirds drop like flies (snicker), I am scared to death about camp...
Reply/Quote