Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flacco hurts his back
Flacco hurts his back lifting weights....
could be out 6 weeks so he could miss the opener in the Jungle....
be nice to beat the snot out of them on opening day....say.....
Bengals 37 ravens 6
Reply/Quote
We need Flacco to start!

Thoughts and prayers from the Jungle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We've owned Flukeo for the most part
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
We've had a great record against Fake-o over the years so I'd rather beat him v someone else.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I would not be surprised at all if we have a better record against Flacco rather than backup/rookie QB's. Gonna have to look that up.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ryan-mallett-takes-over-for-injured-joe-flacco-in-practice-and-has-total-meltdown/

Quote:At one point in practice, things got so bad that Terrell Suggs started trash-talking offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. 
"Hey Marty, tell Mallett to throw to the guys wearing the purple jerseys," Suggs said, referring to the offense. 

Dark times for the Ravens offense..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Remember kids, Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallett and Colin Kaepernick over Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 09:49 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Remember kids, Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallett and Colin Kaepernick over Andy Dalton.

Well, hindsight is always 20/20. Worked out well for us.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 09:49 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Remember kids, Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallett and Colin Kaepernick over Andy Dalton.

I've heard this many times (PFT, Adam Schefter, etc), but is there any concrete evidence to back this up?
Reply/Quote

Well kudos to Mike  if this is true.. since we took Dalton before either of them... guess the always rumor we hear he does not listen to coaches is wrong too...

Damn looking back at that draft... there were 6 QBs taken in the first two rounds.. Newton (1)  Locker (8) Gabbart (10) Ponder (12), Dalton (35) Kaepernck (36)... Newton and Dalton standouts.. three duds and the single season wonder boy... I say we did pretty well looking back over it...
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 01:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well kudos to Mike  if this is true.. since we took Dalton before either of them... guess the always rumor we hear he does not listen to coaches is wrong too...

Damn looking back at that draft... there were 6 QBs taken in the first two rounds.. Newton (1)  Locker (8) Gabbart (10) Ponder (12), Dalton (35) Kaepernck (36)... Newton and Dalton standouts.. three duds and the single season wonder boy... I say we did pretty well looking back over it...

I still remember people bashing us for not drafting Kaepernick instead of DAlton. Look who is laughing now haha.  :andy: :andy: :andy:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
The way things are going for the Ravens I see them in the bottom of the division this year. Hell, they may just end up with the number one pick in next years draft.

The way things are shaping up it will be 

1. Bengals 12-4
2. Steelers 10-6
3. Browns 8-8
4. Ravens 3-13
Reply/Quote

Not sure what any of that has to do with Flacco hurting his back.  But anyway, it's pretty obvious that the Bengals made the right choice, as Andy has grown and developed into a franchise QB worthy of the title.  

What else is obvious is that without Flacco, the Ravens offense is in serious trouble.  They have so much money wrapped up in Flacco, that they really can't afford to do much to replace him.  Ryan Mallett?  Pfft!  So many INTs in his first practice, that the defense was audibly making fun of him.  Ravens also signed an arena league QB.  Yes, that's right, an arena league QB for depth.  Their fans went ballistic at the thought of signing Kaepernick, though the team can't really afford him, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.. Everyone is an expert the day after with the uncanny ability to see into the past that has been written about ad nausium .
Hey, without a cloud in the sky from coast to coast let's all pray for a sunny day.  You can't go wrong with that.  
Now admit it..you know you're going to be broken hearted when the Ravens absolutely suck again.. I mean after all..they may just upend the Browns place as the worst team in the league and Ozzy will no longer be thought of as the single greatest GM mind since the advent of sliced bread.  Just think..we coulda had Ozzy as our GM if Mikey had stepped aside to let him run the show and look where we'd be now.. Ravenville.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 04:34 AM)magikod Wrote: I still remember people bashing us for not drafting Kaepernick instead of DAlton. Look who is laughing now haha.  :andy: :andy: :andy:

Meh, Kaepernick played in a SB when he had a HC and system that was professional caliber so it's hard for us to get too smug given our current drought.  He would have done fine here, anyways.

I will say that Mike Brown liking Ryan Mallett would have set this franchise back a long time so hats off to Gruden for saving us there.

Back to Flakkko, he sort of owns the Steelers (compared to us) and we own him so I would imagine this really helps them more than it helps us, sadly.

(07-30-2017, 09:43 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The way things are going for the Ravens I see them in the bottom of the division this year. Hell, they may just end up with the number one pick in next years draft.

The way things are shaping up it will be 

1. Bengals 12-4
2. Steelers 10-6
3. Browns 8-8
4. Ravens 3-13

I haven't checked the schedules to make an in-depth prediction, but if the Browns are as awful as they should be and the Ravens don't have their QB I could see the Steelers being 4-0 in the division easily.  I guess we could be, too...but we always need outside help to win the division and it looks like we aren't going to get any from the Browns or Ravens.

(07-30-2017, 09:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Their fans went ballistic at the thought of signing Kaepernick, though the team can't really afford him, anyway.

Meh, Baltimore seems like a pretty urban area.  They could sign Kaepernick and just tell one of their white players to run around with the flag and throw up civilian salutes like he's a GI Joe ala JJ Watt to off-set that.

(07-30-2017, 01:37 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just think..we coulda had Ozzy as our GM if Mikey had stepped aside to let him run the show and look where we'd be now.. Ravenville.. 

2 SB wins?  Wow that would be total hell.  Thank god we've had Mike Brown calling the shots for 26 years. Ninja Nah, you're right...I'm sure if/when Andy Dalton is the SB MVP we will give him a low-ball contract and he will sign it. Hell, he might just play here for free after that.
Reply/Quote

Being fair, a lot of people in the draft forum over on the mothership wanted Mallett, too.  
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 02:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, Kaepernick played in a SB when he had a HC and system that was professional caliber so it's hard for us to get too smug given our current drought.  He would have done fine here, anyways.

Kinda what I was thinking when I saw the bashing on Kaepernick in this thread. The guy played in a Super Bowl and played at a very high level when he had an NFL head coach to play for, not sure what the results would have been with Marvin, but the weapons he would have had here in Cincy were as good if not better than what he had on offense when he went to the Super Bowl. Would have been Green Kaep vs Green Dalton. 

The other thing with all the sitting during the anthem and speaking out, none of that happened until he was benched. When the guy was a starter he kept politics out of it, but as soon as he lost that starter job he started wanting headlines. Be really interesting to see how that all would have played out if the draft would have flipped.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 09:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Kinda what I was thinking when I saw the bashing on Kaepernick in this thread. The guy played in a Super Bowl and played at a very high level when he had an NFL head coach to play for, not sure what the results would have been with Marvin, but the weapons he would have had here in Cincy were as good if not better than what he had on offense when he went to the Super Bowl. Would have been Green Kaep vs Green Dalton. 

The other thing with all the sitting during the anthem and speaking out, none of that happened until he was benched. When the guy was a starter he kept politics out of it, but as soon as he lost that starter job he started wanting headlines. Be really interesting to see how that all would have played out if the draft would have flipped.

Yeah, it's possible to be glad we have Dalton without acting like a team with a SB MVP at QB and a QB that came close to beating that SB MVP are in pathetic situations compared to us.  Even after the Ravens gave Flacco that team-destroying contract they managed to win a playoff game that we haven't in 26 years.  

Come on people, you're making us look delusional. Optimism is great, but expecting teams that won the SB we haven't in 50 years to envy us because our QB is on a very friendly contract isn't the clearest thinking.
Reply/Quote
The Ravens went 8-8 last year.

They had a good Free agency signing period with Maclin, Jefferson, Woodhead and Carr as solid veteran pieces/starting material.

Re-signed Williams to a big contract.

They lost Wagner, Dumervil, Juszczyk and Aiken. Wagner was a rather large loss, but other than that, nothing all that significant left.

And then, on top of that, they had a good defensive draft that could show value in its first year with Humphrey, Bowser and Wormley all good enough to be significant contributors as rookies.

If Flacco weren't injured, I would say they are competing for the AFCN Crown. We'll see how this develops. All that said, I am a bit confused why people are so sure they're going to be horrendous this year.

Is it just the Flacco injury? Because that's basically the only reason I can think of for why the Ravens would finish anywhere below 8-8 or 9-7 at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 08:17 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Ravens went 8-8 last year.

They had a good Free agency signing period with Maclin, Jefferson, Woodhead and Carr as solid veteran pieces/starting material.

Re-signed Williams to a big contract.

They lost Wagner, Dumervil, Juszczyk and Aiken. Wagner was a rather large loss, but other than that, nothing all that significant left.

And then, on top of that, they had a good defensive draft that could show value in its first year with Humphrey, Bowser and Wormley all good enough to be significant contributors as rookies.

If Flacco weren't injured, I would say they are competing for the AFCN Crown. We'll see how this develops. All that said, I am a bit confused why people are so sure they're going to be horrendous this year.

Is it just the Flacco injury? Because that's basically the only reason I can think of for why the Ravens would finish anywhere below 8-8 or 9-7 at the very least.

They have also lost two starting TEs, forcing them to just sign the former Giant, Donnel.  They also lost two starting secondary players (forget their names).  They seem to be rather snakebit this season.

I'm sure after the Bengals open with a win (finally at home) that the talking heads will rapidly dismiss the victory as beating the Raven's backups.  I could care less.  A win is a win...And 1-0 heading in to the Prime Time Thursday Night Game against the Texans (led by, cough, Tom Savage) sounds like 2-0.  
Reply/Quote