Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More States Tax Tampons Than Candy in America
(12-10-2015, 03:37 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: It is actually pretty astounding what the government considers groceries compared to what isn't considered groceries. When I worked at a Speedway gas station years ago we would have families from the trailer park come in with food stamp cards and go "grocery shopping". I always felt bad when I had to tell them they couldn't purchase hot and prepared food but your kids can go buy 50 candy bars.

Last year around Xmas there was a homeless couple and a child on the corner outside of a Krogers asking for money. Me and my girlfriend talked to them and they were telling us about how they have money on their food stamp card but they lack the resources to prepare food and their card wouldn't let them purchase anything hot and already cooked. They went on to talk about how with limited funds they have to make it stretch and healthier items simply cost too much so they feel like they were left with cheap junk food options. Similar to what stores like Dollar General are crammed full with. We went ahead and gave them a rotisserie chicken and some mash potatoes from the deli section and they offered to pay us back by buying us different food items their card can accept but we declined.

My point being is the government tried drawing a line between a luxury and a need and failed miserably.

Very cool of you to do that.

And you're right, it's crazy. There's a gas station I drive by every day. Couple months ago they put out a giant vinyl banner with a large Coke logo right above "Now Accepting EBT". I shake my head. When I used to work in a grocery people would buy the worst food on their cards (and actual paper food stamps cause I'm old). I've considered running for an office just to try and get legislation to have a modernized list of what you can and can't buy. Not going overboard, but common sense stuff like "Milk=yes" "800 calories of sugar Coke=no".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Hate to break it to you, but tampons ARE a luxury item. A woman doesn't NEED a tampon. Just ball up some toilet paper or paper towels or napkin (both of which are free at most restaurants and public restrooms) and stick in your panties or up your babychute and voila.

And to answer your question, I'm only being semi-facetious.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(12-10-2015, 04:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Hate to break it to you, but tampons ARE a luxury item. A woman doesn't NEED a tampon. Just ball up some toilet paper or paper towels or napkin (both of which are free at most restaurants and public restrooms) and stick in your panties or up your babychute and voila.

And to answer your question, I'm only being semi-facetious.

Or if they just stay pregnant, they don't have to worry about it.

Mellow
(12-10-2015, 04:21 PM)Benton Wrote: Or if they just stay pregnant, they don't have to worry about it.

Mellow

True, but once the child is 5 years old, they're almost impossible to keep in the womb. Mellow
(12-10-2015, 03:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: I posted a story about how a product that only women use is taxed as a "luxury".  Apparently this story is such an affront to your sense of righteousness you are still defending the "50-60 cents a month" as necessary.

Whereas candy and soda are not part of a luxury tax.

I don't believe I said it was a tragedy or a miscarriage of justice.  I do think its dumb and wrong.  I also thought it was interesting.  I guess I didn't realize that it would upset so many people to think that perhaps, may, there's a chance that it  was a dumb thing to tax something most women have to have as a "luxury".

I can't wait until everyone reads the gun control post...   Ninja

I'm having a hard time finding where it's classified as a luxury.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-10-2015, 05:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm having a hard time finding where it's classified as a luxury.  

http://fusion.net/story/142965/states-that-tax-tampons-period-tax/

Quote:For those uninitiated in the country’s tax codes (lucky you!), most states tax all “tangible personal property” but make exemptions for select “necessities” (non-luxury items). Things that are considered necessities usually include groceries, food stamp purchases, medical purchases (prescriptions, prosthetics, some over-the-counter drugs), clothes (in some states), and agriculture supplies. The lists of exemptions vary from state to state.

Tampons, however, are rarely considered a necessity by state governments, and most states do not allow exemptions for them (nor do they even list them in their tax codes). Yet as every woman who has ever gotten her period knows, feminine hygiene products are not a choice; they’re a required part of being a woman. And the costs for these products can add up.

ThumbsUp
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Nothing but a cash grab.
(12-10-2015, 05:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://fusion.net/story/142965/states-that-tax-tampons-period-tax/

ThumbsUp

It seems the author called them a luxury. I pay tax on my clothes.  Are those a luxury?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-10-2015, 06:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It seems the author called them a luxury. I pay tax on my clothes.  Are those a luxury?

Those Italian shoes you got on certainly are.
Toilet paper. Pretty damn necessary. Taxed. Soap, shampoo, pain relievers, anti-bacterial ointment, acid reducers, bandages, cold and flu medicines, shaving cream, all taxed.

(12-10-2015, 05:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://fusion.net/story/142965/states-that-tax-tampons-period-tax/

ThumbsUp

I imagine they are considered a luxury, just as disposable diapers.
A washable/reusable, appropriate sized cloth could be used for either.
Hence where the term "on the rag" came from.

(12-10-2015, 06:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It seems the author called them a luxury. I pay tax on my clothes.  Are those a luxury?

My clothes are, to the people who otherwise might have to view me without them.
LOL
(12-10-2015, 08:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Toilet paper.  Pretty damn necessary. Taxed. Soap, shampoo, pain relievers, anti-bacterial ointment, acid reducers, bandages, cold and flu medicines, shaving cream,  all taxed.

And?
(12-10-2015, 10:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: And?
Why would feminine hygeine products be tax free if all those things are taxed?

(12-10-2015, 10:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why would feminine hygeine products be tax free if all those things are taxed?

Why not ask why any of those things are taxed if they are not a "luxury"?
(12-10-2015, 11:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why not ask why any of those things are taxed if they are not a "luxury"?

That would be my question to you.

(12-10-2015, 11:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why not ask why any of those things are taxed if they are not a "luxury"?

You can live without them. I haven't bought shaving cream since I was 16. You can live without all the others. It's not the same with food or water.
(12-10-2015, 11:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That would be my question to you.

But it wasn't.  You have simply and consistently posted that there is nothing wrong with a luxury tax on tampons and feminine hygiene products.  
(12-11-2015, 08:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: But it wasn't.  You have simply and consistently posted that there is nothing wrong with a luxury tax on tampons and feminine hygiene products.  

It's not a luxury tax, it's a sales tax.  Why were women hygiene products singled out?

(12-11-2015, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It's not a luxury tax, it's a sales tax.  Why were women hygiene products singled out?

Its a luxury tax.  And because it seems silly to tax something that only women use.  Even if they could just shove a sock up there every day for a week once a month.   Rolleyes
(12-11-2015, 11:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its a luxury tax.  And because it seems silly to tax something that only women use.  Even if they could just shove a sock up there every day for a week once a month.   Rolleyes

Beg to differ. I used to keep one in my medicine cabinet for nose bleeds, and I'd always take one camping back when I used to go all the time. Fun tip: if you ever get a significant wound (size of your finger or so) from a stabbing, falling on a broken stick, etc, just put a tampon in it and cover with duct tape until you can make it a healthcare provider. It's about as good as the sterile gauze they would fill your wound with, but you can do it yourself until you get to the hospital.

I've also known guys who would use them to filter sediment out of water before boiling it.