Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More car trouble
I've been having a hard time accelerating up to 60 mph or more. It accelerates fine before that but afterit gets to 45 mph my car seems to struggle to go faster. It also makes a humming sound when I go 60 mph. What could this be guys? I already had a transmission line replaced back in July that was leaking transmission fluid. I got that replaced and all of a sudden the last few days this problem popped up.
Reply/Quote
Does it smoke?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When you get to a certain speed, is that when the humming starts and does the car shift gears?

Cars these days have a "Limp" mode. This mode is telling you there's something wrong with the transmission and the cars computer will only allow one or two gears to get you to a mechanic or garage to get it fixed.

If you go to the dealer, depending in the car, you could be looking at $4,000.00. If you go to a trusted mechanic, a rebuilt transmission will cost upwards of $2,800.00.
Reply/Quote
Yeah the humming starts at maybe 50 mph.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 12:42 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Yeah the humming starts at maybe 50 mph.

I would take it to a trusted mechanic and have them hook up the computer. It will cost you for the diagnostic though, up to and most likely over $100.00 but they will be able to tell you what is wrong.

You can also have them drive the vehicle for a guesstament about what's wrong.

The humming may just be a hub bearing or axle problem, Something wrong with the drivetrain. Although hub bearings will make noise at any speed or just turning right or left.

Yeah, a mechanic that has a diagnostic machine they can hook up to the vehicle is your best bet.

Without seeing the car or hearing it, I can only guess what's wrong.
Reply/Quote
is the car shaking or anything while accerlating?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 07:30 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Does it smoke?

Nope not a trace of smoke.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: is the car shaking or anything while accerlating?

A little bit but not much at all, very slight shake.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:17 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I would take it to a trusted mechanic and have them hook up the computer. It will cost you for the diagnostic though, up to and most likely over $100.00 but they will be able to tell you what is wrong.

You can also have them drive the vehicle for a guesstament about what's wrong.

The humming may just be a hub bearing or axle problem, Something wrong with the drivetrain. Although hub bearings will make noise at any speed or just turning right or left.

Yeah, a mechanic that has a diagnostic machine they can hook up to the vehicle is your best bet.

Without seeing the car or hearing it, I can only guess what's wrong.

No noise turning right or left but only trying to accelerate to a high speed. When I get up there it struggles.
Reply/Quote
Is your parking brake on? No joke. I once drove away from the movie theater with my parking brake on. Somehow, I was able to move but when it started to get around 30-40, it would shake and wouldn't get any faster. I finally figured it out after about 10 miles when I saw that parking brake light was on on the dashboard.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 03:41 PM)packerbacker Wrote: A little bit but not much at all, very slight shake.

recently had an issue with a caliber that was stuck....  (your tire will be very hot when you get out of the car)  but it made acceleration hard above 60.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is your parking brake on? No joke. I once drove away from the movie theater with my parking brake on. Somehow, I was able to move but when it started to get around 30-40, it would shake and wouldn't get any faster. I finally figured it out after about 10 miles when I saw that parking brake light was on on the dashboard.

HAHA reminds me of my first driving experience... My dad pulled over to let me drive   he was used to manuals so he always put the parking break on...   (well I didn't know to take it off)   so I was having a very hard go of it till we figured it out
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: recently had an issue with a caliber that was stuck....  (your tire will be very hot when you get out of the car)  but it made acceleration hard above 60.

Had that problem in the spring. It got the wheel rim up to almost 500 degrees because the rotor was red hot!
Reply/Quote
Hey guys I got the diagnosis. It's my wheel Bearings. Both have gone bad. It will cost over $600 to replace though. That's no fun.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 11:29 AM)packerbacker Wrote: Hey guys I got the diagnosis. It's my wheel Bearings. Both have gone bad. It will cost over $600 to replace though. That's no fun.

I think I fixed wheel bearings on my right front once.  And thinking back on it, my car kind of wobbled at a higher speed.  I believe I might have hit a curb funny to cause the initial problem.
Wonder if you remember doing something.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 11:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I think I fixed wheel bearings on my right front once.  And thinking back on it, my car kind of wobbled at a higher speed.  I believe I might have hit a curb funny to cause the initial problem.
Wonder if you remember doing something.  

Yeah back around the 4th of July we had a massive rainstorm. The main drag was flooded out and I was driving through giving a coworker a ride home when somebody lost a sheet of metal in the road and I hit it hard at 40 mph. I actually think this is the cause. I drove back to see what the heck I hit cause I couldn't see it with how much water there was on the road. I talked to another person who hit this head on and they said they had the exact same problem but directly after that. I thought I got off without any damage. Now almost three months later I'm paying for it lol. Plus coming out of work everyday there is a bad pothole that I hit once. I think that is another reason why I'm having problems. Now I'm totally avoiding those areas of town lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is your parking brake on? No joke. I once drove away from the movie theater with my parking brake on. Somehow, I was able to move but when it started to get around 30-40, it would shake and wouldn't get any faster. I finally figured it out after about 10 miles when I saw that parking brake light was on on the dashboard.

Nope no parking brake. It was both wheel bearings that are shot. I am getting it fixed this Wednesday. So between now and then I have to be careful driving around lol.
Reply/Quote

I'm always on the road, and I drive rental cars. Sometimes I don't know what's going on with the car, and I'll drive for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. What kind of emergency is this? I need to not stop now. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever. 

Mitch Hedberg
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think my BMW's emergency brake is electronic, so the car just beeps at you if you're trying to drive with it on. I suppose it might only work if you're not pressing the accelerator.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
With a little bit of elbow grease (ok, a shitload of it) you can replace wheel bearings pretty cheap. It's merely a matter of having most of the bottom of your car laid out on your driveway so go buy Dawn dishwashing liquid in bulk and get busy.. 
I had a very similar problem with an old truck and thought it was the bearings. I rebuilt the whole underside just about only to later find out the back tire had a plug in it. Once I replaced the tire with a $20 used tire the problem disappeared. Go figure, eh?
If it is the bearing you're probably lucky one hasn't seized up and busted the entire wheel off going down the highway. They can build up so much friction and heat they'll weld themselves together. Always entertaining to see the car in front of you lose a wheel at 60 mph.. That's of course right after your life flashes in front of you for a second..

Remember when the emergency brake would actually stop your car in an emergency?  Yeah me either..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote