Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More details on Joe's injury
Im hoping Joe's freakish work ethic will land him in the successful category of recovery.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 02:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You chipped in money to pay Burrow?

I’ve been buying Bengals stuff since he was drafted, so, yeah. A little.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: Do you not? A QB we just signed our souls away to for the next 5 years has a 20-25% chance of this not being a success. 

The problem with using that statistic for Joe is that it looks at everyone who has had that surgery not just young professional athletes.  Tendon surgeries fail more often in older patients, where this injury tends to occur.  Failure will occur the longer a patient waits between injury and surgery.  Joe had his surgery less than a week after tearing the tendon.  Joe will have an outstanding rehab team to walk him through hand therapy before he even picks up a football again

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: The problem with using that statistic for Joe is that it looks at everyone who has had that surgery not just young professional athletes.  Tendon surgeries fail more often in older patients, where this injury tends to occur.  Failure will occur the longer a patient waits between injury and surgery.  Joe had his surgery less than a week after tearing the tendon.  Joe will have an outstanding rehab team to walk him through hand therapy before he even picks up a football again

The DR interviewed stated this injury happens more in young folk. Us old folks just break bones instead 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: The problem with using that statistic for Joe is that it looks at everyone who has had that surgery not just young professional athletes.  Tendon surgeries fail more often in older patients, where this injury tends to occur.  Failure will occur the longer a patient waits between injury and surgery.  Joe had his surgery less than a week after tearing the tendon.  Joe will have an outstanding rehab team to walk him through hand therapy before he even picks up a football again

I agree he has a better shot at full recovery than the average Joe.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Better keep a close eye on Browning. We may need to keep him around for the foreseeable future.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do people not grasp the concept of statistics?

I'm not worried in the slightest.

It's a pretty damn dicey injury. I'd honestly feel better if he blew his knee out. 

Small ligament in throwing hand. Everything that I've read makes it seem like this injury is just that...dicey. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
[Image: Screenshot-20231222-084326.png]

[Image: Screenshot-20231222-084342.png]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Here's the most important part of his statement...

"......there are about 20 different procedures to address it..."

In short, he's guessing....at best....and really doesn't know.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 02:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You chipped in money to pay Burrow?

Oh sorry, when someone asks you who your team is do you say "None, because I have 0 part ownership in any of the teams therefore I can't say mine, my, ours, we etc when talking about any of these entities"? Shocked
Reply/Quote
Some variables to consider is that football is more physically demanding, and this happens in Burrows moneymaker.

Might want to slow down the trade Browning talk a bit.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do people not grasp the concept of statistics?

I'm not worried in the slightest.

I got a parachute for you that has a 25 percent of not deploying.

What's your address? I want you to use it.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 03:27 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I got a parachute for you that has a 25 percent of not deploying.

What's your address? I want you to use it.

1. Not talking about life and death.
2. This is 80-90%, so still better statistically.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 03:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Not talking about life and death.
2. This is 80-90%, so still better statistically.

The difference in situations is irrelevant.

So the answer is this:  you'd be concerned about the parachute despite it deploying being a higher probability than it not deploying? 

Congratulations, you now understand why some people here might be "slightly concerned" about Burrow's chances.

I charge by the post. Where can I bill you for this lesson?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 03:52 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: The difference in situations is irrelevant.

So the answer is this:  you'd be concerned about the parachute despite it deploying being a higher probability than it not deploying? 

Congratulations, you now understand why some people here might be "slightly concerned" about Burrow's chances.

If there's no context, sure, you're correct.

With context, the difference is 100% relevant.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 03:52 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: The difference in situations is irrelevant.

You can put it in the same bin you use for self-reflection.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 04:04 PM)Earendil Wrote: You can put it in the same bin you use for self-reflection.

So it has about the same value as your relationship with your realtives?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 04:11 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: So it has about the same value as your relationship with your realtives?

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but hell I'll bite. Your opinion means even less to me than my relationship with my relatives. And let me tell you, that is an infinitesimally small amount of "give a damn."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 04:41 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but hell I'll bite. Your opinion means even less to me than my relationship with my relatives. And let me tell you, that is an infinitesimally small amount of "give a damn."

I'm not sure what your reply to me had to do with the parallel I drew, or what it had to do with Burrow's wrist injury' yet here we are.

We can either steer back to the discussion topic or keep up with the petty, personal insults. The choice is yours.

I hope your personal life improves.
Reply/Quote
I apologize if someone has already answered this question. Have any MLB pitchers ever had this injury repaired and made a full recovery? I realize basketball uses the wrist a lot to shoot but I'd think the finger positions on the ball and different types of releases would be even more taxing on the wrist than just throwing a football. So wts, if there have been pitchers that have recovered successfully and came back to compete at the same level it would make things appear more positive IMO.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote