Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More extensions in the works
I think Zeitler should be next. But how much more than Boling's 5 year 26 million deal will he want?

He isnt really a franchise tag possibility either since he would be paid like a top tackle.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather work on an extension for Zeitler. Bringing down his cap number would create plenty of cap room for Hewitt and part of Gio's deal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd rather work on an extension for Zeitler. Bringing down his cap number would create plenty of cap room for Hewitt and part of Gio's deal.

Spotrac says with our top 51 contracts plus the rookie draft pool we still have 11 million in cap space.

Zeitlers number is so damn big already. Maybe we should just bite the bullet instead of kicking the can down the road. 5 year 39 million dollar deal with 10 million this year and we tear up the 5th year 8 million first round pick option contract. Have to give him a reason to want to sign an extension. Front load it like we prefer so after this year it is essentially a 4 year 29 million dollar deal, but his average annual salary of  7.8 mil makes him a top 5 paid OG.

I think if he makes it to free agency he walks like Steinbach.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Spotrac says with our top 51 contracts plus the rookie draft pool we still have 11 million in cap space.

Zeitlers number is so damn big already. Maybe we should just bite the bullet instead of kicking the can down the road. 5 year 39 million dollar deal with 10 million this year and we tear up the 5th year 8 million first round pick option contract. Have to give him a reason to want to sign an extension. Front load it like we prefer so after this year it is essentially a 4 year 29 million dollar deal, but his average annual salary of  7.8 mil makes him a top 5 paid OG.

Agreed on that. I didn't think he should make more than Yanda, since he's easily the best RG in the league, but Brandon Brooks just signed a 5 yr/$40 million deal. I imagine that Zeitler's agent will want to get him that exact deal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Spotrac says with our top 51 contracts plus the rookie draft pool we still have 11 million in cap space.

its why we had to draft a potential replacement this year....  Its gonna be difficult to keep all these guys.  Whit coming off the books after the season might help
Reply/Quote
Zeitler should get done because his current cap hit is pretty brutal. He's currently at the 3rd highest guard cap hit in the NFL in 2016. I like Zeitler, but he's sure no top-3 guard. Hopefully they can get him to a more Boling-type contract. Just hope they don't pay him like an elite guard.

I'd like Gio to get done, but I don't know how easy it will be. Another team will probably offer to pay him more (and make him a starter). Not sure it gets done with him because he could go to NE or NO and be a monster for them.

There's no reason to extend Kirkpatrick when you just signed Adam to a contract and drafted Will Jack in the first round. Not to mention Kirkpatrick is probably the worst out of the 5 notable CB on the team.

Not sure why you'd do Hewitt either. He did not have a good year at all last year and actually lost some snaps to Fisher who did his job much better.

- - - - -

So I am at 1 agreement, 1 agreement-but-tough, and 2 disagreements on the list of people they say they are trying to get extended.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Zeitler should get done because his current cap hit is pretty brutal. He's currently at the 3rd highest guard cap hit in the NFL in 2016. I like Zeitler, but he's sure no top-3 guard. Hopefully they can get him to a more Boling-type contract. Just hope they don't pay him like an elite guard.

I'd like Gio to get done, but I don't know how easy it will be. Another team will probably offer to pay him more (and make him a starter). Not sure it gets done with him because he could go to NE or NO and be a monster for them.

There's no reason to extend Kirkpatrick when you just signed Adam to a contract and drafted Will Jack in the first round. Not to mention Kirkpatrick is probably the worst out of the 5 notable CB on the team.

Not sure why you'd do Hewitt either. He did not have a good year at all last year and actually lost some snaps to Fisher who did his job much better.

- - - - -

So I am at 1 agreement, 1 agreement-but-tough, and 2 disagreements on the list of people they say they are trying to get extended.

Gio would be smart to take an extension if we offer it. Lacy and LeVeon will probably be the big ticket HBs in free agency next year. And there usually isn't a lot of teams looking to spend big on a free agent RB. Throw in the stud RB class coming out next year.

I like Gio would love to keep him. But I would jump on the Christian McCaffrey bandwagon in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 07:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gio would be smart to take an extension if we offer it. Lacy and LeVeon will probably be the big ticket HBs in free agency next year. And there usually isn't a lot of teams looking to spend big on a free agent RB. Throw in the stud RB class coming out next year.

I like Gio would love to keep him. But I would jump on the Christian McCaffrey bandwagon in a heartbeat.

Doubt either of them make it to FA. If they do it'd be because Lacy wouldn't stop eating and Bell tore another knee, in which case neither would be big tickets because their value would be severely damaged.

I don't know if it'd be so much the money for Gio as much as.. is he happy not being a starter? If another team can offer him the same money, but a lead role in their backfield, not sure how tempting that'd be for him. He could probably go to another team that better knows how to use pass catching RBs and be a star.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Zeitler I think we can get done in the 6 mil range. Its team friendly and he doesn't have to risk his future on this year. Put him on 6 years with some decent guarantee. Remember we just signed Boling to a 5 year 5 million a year performance based contract.

Gio may be easier to lock down because he's making so little this year. Hewitt you can sign for pennies

Kirkpatrick is set to make 7 million this year and isn't really worth more imo. If we can sign him to a multiyear deal for less than 7 a year than i'm totally for signing the guy, but anymore is just overpaying for a position that we can continue to draft in and manage the team a bit better.

I think the team should still consider bringing in guys like Boldin and Freeney this year to make a big push.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doubt either of them make it to FA. If they do it'd be because Lacy wouldn't stop eating and Bell tore another knee, in which case neither would be big tickets because their value would be severely damaged.

I don't know if it'd be so much the money for Gio as much as.. is he happy not being a starter? If another team can offer him the same money, but a lead role in their backfield, not sure how tempting that'd be for him. He could probably go to another team that better knows how to use pass catching RBs and be a star.

I think Gio starts this year with the change at Offensive coordinator and he just continues to get better every year.   If they are already releasing rumors that a deal is in the works he will be signed 100% because its an easier deal to get done.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Zeitler's money changed this offseason with Osemele's monster deal this offseason. DeCastro will be the interesting one as well as he could re-set the market. $8 million annually is now the new market for top-end guards. And say what you want, Zeitler will be able to command that if he plays this year out. You're right - can't see them franchise tagging him - that money pushes into the what, $10-11 million range for one-year and sets the new APY at that number. The Bengals won't do that.

Kirkpatrick is interesting. I can see them making an offer and Dre electing to do what Iloka did and play it out. The money corners got this past offseason was crazy, and while most don't see another $10 million jump in the cap, it will rise again. I can see both sides being willing to play it out. The money the Bengals gave Jones proves they're not afraid to pay for Pro Bowl talent ... if Dre proves himself to be that.

To be clear, deals aren't "in the works" - these are all wish list - just like their usually targeted extension candidates (i.e. Green, Iloka, the Jonses last year). It's not a surprise to these players that the team wants to extend them - this has been known to them since February.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 09:01 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Zeitler's money changed this offseason with Osemele's monster deal this offseason. DeCastro will be the interesting one as well as he could re-set the market. $8 million annually is now the new market for top-end guards. And say what you want, Zeitler will be able to command that if he plays this year out. You're right - can't see them franchise tagging him - that money pushes into the what, $10-11 million range for one-year and sets the new APY at that number. The Bengals won't do that.

Kirkpatrick is interesting. I can see them making an offer and Dre electing to do what Iloka did and play it out. The money corners got this past offseason was crazy, and while most don't see another $10 million jump in the cap, it will rise again. I can see both sides being willing to play it out. The money the Bengals gave Jones proves they're not afraid to pay for Pro Bowl talent ... if Dre proves himself to be that.

To be clear, deals aren't "in the works" - these are all wish list - just like their usually targeted extension candidates (i.e. Green, Iloka, the Jonses last year). It's not a surprise to these players that the team wants to extend them - this has been known to them since February.
Just curious if they resign Benard does this mean no deal for Hill or do they try to sign him as well?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:07 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Still can't understand why people are so down on Dre. If the price is right you sign him. He's not the liability many of you make him out to be. Sure most 1st year starting corners struggle, and even more so those that are opposite a very good corner like Jones.

I believe people see more upside in Dennard and Williams than they do with Dre. We'll be seeing a lot of Dennard this year.

On the other hand, we like carrying 4 1st round corners year in and year out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 03:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't get why other people are down on Dre, either, and I get what you're saying about the price being right, but I don't see another team throwing huge money at him to take him away from us.

With corners being so important with it being more of a passing league, I'd lock him up now so we don't risk him having a big year and demanding more money from us based off of a small sample size.

From his perspective, I think he signs for decent money and doesn't risk injury or having a bad season because he hasn't shown enough to have another team toss big money at him based off of his production so far.

You kinda addressed your own statement.  Can you see how capable corners (in a passing league) can demand more money from another team and why he'd choose not to take a safer cheap deal?  I think his reaction to the draft pick was due to his lost leverage in negotiations.  He knows he's the starter this year regardless, but Cincy now has another long term option, so no reason to rush an extension.  If Sanu struggle to gain reps and land a big deal, then think of his current 7.5M for 4-5yrs with more guaranteed money being the type of deal you'd have to get him to bite on.  I can't see how his camp takes say 5M/yr, and I don't know why Cincy ponies up to sign him unless there is less guaranteed money like with Williams.  I just don't see a match for Dre specifically and Zeitler is going to be a chore IMO.  I think Gio gets a deal both sides agree on by the start of the season though and hopefully Eifert as well but that could be a tough one too. 
Reply/Quote
I just don't see any teams offering Kirkpatrick a huge deal. I think they should wait and let him play out this year. If he has half a brain, he does everything he can and plays his arse off to earn a nice contract from either the Bengals or another team.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure why you'd do Hewitt either. He did not have a good year at all last year and actually lost some snaps to Fisher who did his job much better.

Huh? Hewitt got hurt and that is why Fisher came in.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 10:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: Per http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/17/11692854/bengals-working-on-extensions-for-2017-free-agents

Hobson is quoted as saying

" It’s believed they’re also working on extensions for other contract-year guys, such as running back Giovani Bernard and fullback Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt becomes a free agent after three years because he was undrafted.

They’d also like to get extensions for cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and right guard Kevin Zeitler, playing on their fifth-year options as 2012 first-round picks. "

I don't really want to see them extend kirkpatrick, but I am glad their working on Gio, Hewitt, and Zeitler.

Zeitler is making 8 million next year if they can't sign a contract.  I would like to see that number taken down and add on them years. =)

I am happy about this and i agree with you that Zeitler should be more of an immediate need to re-sign than Dre.

Need to bring back Gio and Zeit. I am pretty sure signing Hewitt should be pretty easy.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 08:53 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You stunt the potential development of Shaw, WJIII, Dennard and CLH. Why do we keep drafting these CBs in the first if we are going to just sit them on the bench until a new contract rolls around? 
This ain't Madden man. Idc what age the players are whoever can play needs to play.
Reply/Quote
If it comes down between Kirk and Z I have to say Z is playing near pro bowl level. They do need to either draft another CB or sign Kirk to a three year extension.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 04:35 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If it comes down between Kirk and Z I have to say Z is playing near pro bowl level.  They do need to either draft another CB or sign Kirk to a three year extension.

Between those two, I would say that Zeitler merits higher priority.  He has already established his value, and the way I see it, Kirkpatrick still has a bit of proving to do. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote