Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(09-21-2020, 02:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Seriously if you think that means it is funny you are really disturbed.

Stop.

I'll say this and then let it go.  Using that term to describe a man's suicide is in extremely poor taste.  Own it and move on.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As to solving the problem, it's really not that complicated.  Have the governor declare martial law, impose a strict 6 pm curfew, restrict gatherings to "x" number of people.

You have to have someplace to house thousands of inmates.  And it would probably get pretty bloody.

When Bull Conner "cracked down" on Martin Luther King's protestors in Birmingham it just generated sympathy for the protestors cause around the country.  Same thing with the level of violence used by the Chicago police at the 1968 Democratic convention.  Since the Portland protestors have not destroyed the city in almost 4 months of rioting many people don't think extreme force or violence would be justified against them.

It is easy to just make a rule against it.  But the the violence required to enforce the rule may cause more problems than it fixes. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Using that term to describe a man's suicide is in extremely poor taste. 

No it is not.  There is nothing funny about it.  It is simply an unexpected development.  Nothing offensive about using the term "plot twist" to describe it.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to have someplace to house thousands of inmates.  And it would probably get pretty bloody.

Possibly, but I doubt it.  Once they started getting charged in federal court the riots really dried up.  Look at Lancaster.  They hammered the shit out of the people arrested on the first night and the violence stopped.

Quote:When Bull Conner "cracked down" on Martin Luther King's protestors in Birmingham it just generated sympathy for the protestors cause around the country.  Same thing with the level of violence used by the Chicago police at the 1968 Democratic convention.  Since the Portland protestors have not destroyed the city in almost 4 months of rioting many people don't think extreme force or violence would be justified against them.

There's an enormous difference in King's actually peaceful protests and over 100 nights of straight rioting.  Throwing rocks, explosives, molotov cocktails, shining lasers into the officers eyes etc.  I don't think you would have seen much, if any sympathy for those guys.

Quote:It is easy to just make a rule against it.  But the the violence required to enforce the rule may cause more problems than it fixes. 

As stated above, I don't think it would have taken much, if any, violence.  Once they started facing actual consequence for their daily lawlessness they stopped.  The DA in Portland should be disbarred for allowing that crap to go on for over three months.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it is not.  There is nothing funny about it.  It is simply an unexpected development.  Nothing offensive about using the term "plot twist" to describe it.

I'll simply say that your response does not surprise me.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll take assuming facts not in evidence for $1,000, Alex.

It is called "The Ferguson Effect" and it has been shown through studies of traffic stops and police reports generated.  It has happened in other cities, specifically Baltimore after the Freddie Grey killing.

There is also the famous "blue flu" where large numbers of police call in sick when they just don't ant to do their jobs.

I have not seen the numbers on all police reports or sick days taken, but traffic stops are down 80% in Minneapolis since the protests and calls to defund the police.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll simply say that your response does not surprise me.

That is fine as long as you do not disagree.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is called "The Ferguson Effect" and it has been shown through studies of traffic stops and police reports generated.  It has happened in other cities, specifically Baltimore after the Freddie Grey killing.

There is also the famous "blue flu" where large numbers of police call in sick when they just don't ant to do their jobs.

I have not seen the numbers on all police reports or sick days taken, but traffic stops are down 80% in Minneapolis since the protests and calls to defund the police.

Yes, police will tend to be far less proactive when they know the people in charge will happily throw them under the bus if things go south.  Assuming your figures are accurate they don't mean the police aren't doing their job.  Traffic stops are completely discretionary, which is why they can let you go with a warning.  Now, if you have evidence of them ignoring misdemeanors or felonies then that would be a different matter.

(09-21-2020, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is fine as long as you do not disagree.

I disagree and that's also fine.
Reply/Quote
New York?  

They can't even do the dirty stuff right.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-doj-threatening-to-cut-funding-to-anarchist-destination-nyc-draws-mockery-bill-barr-defunds-the-nypd/

Quote:Trump DOJ Threatening to Cut Funding to ‘Anarchist Destination’ NYC Draws Mockery: ‘Bill Barr Defunds the NYPD’

By Colby HallSep 21st, 2020, 9:50 am
426 comments

[Image: William-Barr-via-MANDEL-NGAN_AFP-via-Getty-Images.jpg]
The Department of Justice under President Donald Trump labeled three cities as “anarchist jurisdictions” on Sunday and threatened to cut federal funding for alleged failure to control protests and defunding police departments. Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington join New York City on a list reportedly approved by Attorney General William Barr.

“When state and local leaders impede their own law enforcement officers and agencies from doing their jobs, it endangers innocent citizens who deserve to be protected, including those who are trying to peacefully assemble and protest,” Barr said in a statement set to be released Monday, according to the NY Post.

“We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance,” the AG added. “It is my hope that the cities identified by the Department of Justice today will reverse course and become serious about performing the basic function of government and start protecting their own citizens.” It is unclear what specific federal funding to these three cities will be slashed, but White House budget director Russ Vought is reportedly set to issue guidance to federal agencies on withdrawing funds from the cities in less than two weeks.

The Trump administration’s aggressive actions towards Democratically run cities drew the ire of many on Twitter—particularly those who live in New York City—where there hasn’t been any violent protesting (at least outside the norm) since the earliest days of the civil unrest that followed the killing of George Floyd. To wit:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
JOE BIDEN AND KAMALA HARRIS ARE AWFUL AND THEY ONLY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They must have found some really bad posts he had made on social media.

Can't claim he was afraid he would not get a fair trial after what happened with George Zimmerman and lots of law enforcement officers that have beaten these types of charges.

If he wanted to kill himself to avoid jail time he could have waited until AFTER convicted.  Only reason to do it now was to avoid some nasty information being made public.

I'll concede Dino's "Plot Twist" is nothing to take exception to, but this is.

You have 0 idea what posts they found, but we do know it was reported he fled Omaha because of death threats, we do know he suffered from PTSD, and we do know he stated the night of the shooting felt like a war zone to him.

Of all the things this man feared; getting a fair trial was most likely toward the bottom of the list. 

You comments on why a disturbed man killed himself without evidence are appalling. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 11:21 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: JOE BIDEN AND KAMALA HARRIS ARE AWFUL AND THEY ONLY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Non Sequitur Post of the Day Award goes to NATI#1!!!!!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll concede Dino's "Plot Twist" is nothing to take exception to, but this is.

You have 0 idea what posts they found, but we do know it was reported he fled Omaha because of death threats, we do know he suffered from PTSD, and we do know he stated the night of the shooting felt like a war zone to him.

Of all the things this man feared; getting a fair trial was most likely toward the bottom of the list. 

You comments on why a disturbed man killed himself without evidence are appalling. 

I never saw where he suffered from PTSD.

But for some reason it did not bother him that much for 4 months after killing a man.  I do not doubt that he was stressed, but he ran away from death threats so that is pretty much to opposite of killing himself.  He only killed himself after it was announced that "new evidence" had been used to obtain an indictment.

I would have said the same thing about anyone else who acted that way under those circumstances.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never saw where he suffered from PTSD.

But for some reason it did not bother him that much for 4 months after killing a man.  I do not doubt that he was stressed, but he ran away from death threats so that is pretty much to opposite of killing himself.  He only killed himself after it was announced that "new evidence" had been used to obtain an indictment.

I would have said the same thing about anyone else who acted that way under those circumstances.

The VA recently released a finding that up to 20 combat veterans commit suicide each day.

We don't know what pushed him over the edge but to suggest it's because evidence proved his guilty is nothing more than speculation and IMO in poor taste. You cannot speak to his mental state. 

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The VA recently released a finding that up to 20 combat veterans commit suicide each day.

We don't know what pushed him over the edge but to suggest it's because evidence proved his guilty is nothing more than speculation and IMO in poor taste. You cannot speak to his mental state. 

I don't care if he was a vet or not.  I will make the same speculation anytime someone kills himself immediately after being indicted for a crime.  It is only natural.
Reply/Quote
Back to the actual thread topic.

Two rioters shot each other last night in a protest that was "mostly peaceful", except for the shooting and throwing explosives at police. I wonder if we've dipped below 90% yet?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/protests/portland-protests-demonstration-penumbra-kelly-building/283-3ff493e9-9bfa-432a-a169-c4141f909ead
Reply/Quote
Prepare for Louisville to burn

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Prepare for Louisville to burn

Someone made a point that you don't see rioting, looting and arson in Georgia because Georgia state law permits the use of deadly force to defend property.  If true, maybe there's something to that?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Someone made a point that you don't see rioting, looting and arson in Georgia because Georgia state law permits the use of deadly force to defend property.  If true, maybe there's something to that?

Well the NFA has been here twice, shot themselves once. They just released charges on Brianna Taylor case. Only one officer charged and not for shooting Taylor.

Reply/Quote
Someone once told me that the media is no longer using the term "largely peaceful".  I suppose the Guardian didn't receive that memo.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/23/protests-erupt-breonna-taylor-decision

Thousands turned out for largely peaceful protests in more than a dozen cities after news of the grand jury’s decision in Louisville

Even more inexplicably this statement comes right after the headline which reads;

Louisville protests: two officers shot amid Breonna Taylor killing charging decision

If you made this up people would accuse you of being ridiculous.
Reply/Quote