Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More proof of how good Paul Alexander is
Bengals ranked as the number one O-line in the league

http://www.thehuddle.com/2015/articles/offensive-line-review-and-ratings.php
Reply/Quote
People who trash on him are mind boggling to me. He is one of the best.
Reply/Quote
When John Tuvey speaks people listen.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 02:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When John Tuvey speaks people listen.

These rankings  take into account past performance, continuity, scheme, and personnel as well as the data available from sources such as Football Outsiders (FO) and Pro Football Focus (PFF).

Among the stats referenced include the following:
  • Adjusted Line Yards — an FO stat that assigns responsibility for rushing yards to the offensive line based on where those yards were gained in proximity to the line of scrimmage
  • Power Success — an FO stat that tracks the percentage of runs on third or fourth down with two yards or less to go (or first or second down and goal to go from two yards and in) that resulted in a first-down or touchdown
  • Stuffed — an FO stat measuring the percentage of rushing attempts where the back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage
  • Adjusted Sack Rate – an FO stat measuring sacks per pass attempt tweaked for down, distance, and opponent
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 01:43 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: People who trash on him are mind boggling to me. He is one of the best.

People who trash on him are the same people who trash on Dalton, Maualuga, Lewis and, to a lesser extent, Tate.

Those with a brain refer to these people as idiots.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These rankings  take into account past performance, continuity, scheme, and personnel as well as the data available from sources such as Football Outsiders (FO) and Pro Football Focus (PFF).

Among the stats referenced include the following:

Why are you whispering?

BTW, PA is a good coach, just made a couple bonehead personnel decisions. Livings over Mathis, Andrews over Willie.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's a good read. Hopefully we will see Bodine with some improved play this year as well. O-line/running game should be a real strength.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 08:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: That's a good read. Hopefully we will see Bodine with some improved play this year as well. O-line/running game should be a real strength.

I'm pretty high on Bodine.  I thought he did pretty well at the point of attack and most of his struggles were from inexperience, not a lack of strength and grit.  I'm hoping he makes big strides this year. 
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with Paul.

I DO have a problem with Andy, Marvin, Tate, etc. Why? They're bums. To the guy who called us people "idiots....." get a clue, pal. Stop being a damn homer.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 10:01 AM)kramer1 Wrote: I have no problem with Paul.

I DO have a problem with Andy, Marvin, Tate, etc. Why? They're bums. To the guy who called us people "idiots....." get a clue, pal. Stop being a damn homer.

My opinion of new random troll.....

Yawn
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: PA is a good coach, just made a couple bonehead personnel decisions. Livings over Mathis, Andrews over Willie.

As much as I love Willie he was old, injured, and on his last leg when we let him go.  His lasted about 10 games for the Ravens.  And that was more of a front office decision than Paul.  We offered to keep Willie for lower pay, and I don't blame him for leaving.

Mathis was getting playing time over Livings until he got injured in 2009.  They were splitting the starts and snaps.  But in '10 Mathis was fat and out of shape.  He didn't deserve any playing time.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 10:01 AM)kramer1 Wrote: I have no problem with Paul.

Have you ever made a positive post about this organization or it's players ?  If not why did you torture yourself even signing up....
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals ranked as the number one O-line in the league

The O Line has got team to 4 straight play-offs.....Zietler and Bodine are the young-uns.....Whit and Smith bookend at tackle......Smith is said to be in great shape......During TV Games, CBS announcers often mention the great size of the Bengals line and the leadership of Whitworth and the Bengals O-Line ability to wear down teams as game goes on. .....All good running plays, all good pass plays are the result of the snap of the ball and the O Line GETTING IT DONE. .....Yes, hats of to the coaching. .....All big plays by Hill, Gio, AJ, Sanu, Hill, Eifert, Dalton, Nugent, Huber are the end result of BLOCKING.

Glad to see some LOVE for the O Line, who never get mentioned unless they make a penalty.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 01:24 PM)kevin Wrote: The O Line has got team to 4 straight play-offs.....Zietler and Bodine are the young-uns.....Whit and Smith bookend at tackle......Smith is said to be in great shape......During TV Games, CBS announcers often mention the great size of the Bengals line and the leadership of Whitworth and the Bengals O-Line ability to wear down teams as game goes on. .....All good running plays, all good pass plays are the result of the snap of the ball and the O Line GETTING IT DONE. .....Yes, hats of to the coaching. .....All big plays by Hill, Gio, AJ, Sanu, Hill, Eifert, Dalton, Nugent, Huber are the end result of BLOCKING.

Glad to see some LOVE for the O Line, who never get mentioned unless they make a penalty.

I could be called a great coach too if I had 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and third round thrown in for prosperity.  This guy is a bum and he has been around this organization for the past twenty years.  Guys, this team hasn't started the season yet and you are declaring Alexander is a great coach.  Sure on paper he is. Everyone is great on paper including Dalton, but I want to see huge holes opened up for the RB and time for the QB to get off a throw before someone up the middle drags him down nano seconds after the snap.  RB holes and time for the QB to throw where never existed the past three seasons.  Paul Alexander is over rated and needs to retire to focus on his piano playing.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 03:05 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I could be called a great coach too if I had 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and third round thrown in for prosperity.  This guy is a bum and he has been around this organization for the past twenty years.  Guys, this team hasn't started the season yet and you are declaring Alexander is a great coach.  Sure on paper he is.  Everyone is great on paper including Dalton, but I want to see huge holes opened up for the RB and time for the QB to get off a throw before someone up the middle drags him down nano seconds after the snap.  RB holes and time for the QB to throw where never existed the past three seasons.  Paul Alexander is over rated and needs to retire to focus on his piano playing.

In 2009 the Bengals had a top 10 running game. The line consisted of Whit-Livings/Mathis-Cook-Williams-Roland/Collins.

Paul Alexander is one of the best Offense Line coaches in the league. I hope he's here for another 20+ years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals ranked as the number one O-line in the league

Always nice to see parts of our team getting props. It's interesting that the only few people in the football world that seem to think our line is anything but one of the best happen to be Bengals fans. Strange, to say the least.

PA is probably better than I used to give him credit for, but we've also got to give some credit to everyone involved in scouting these guys and rarely missing on linemen in the draft. Luigs is one of the only guys that immediately come to mind that didn't really pan out recently. I'm sure there's a couple more, but we've done a great job drafting and developing these guys.

(08-02-2015, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My opinion of new random troll.....

Yawn

He's not necessarily new, I remember his schtick from the old boards.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 03:15 PM)Synric Wrote: In 2009 the Bengals had a top 10 running game. The line consisted of Whit-Livings/Mathis-Cook-Williams-Roland/Collins.

Paul Alexander is one of the best Offense Line coaches in the league. I hope he's here for another 20+ years.

In 2009, the Bengals ranked 24th in yards per carry, despite heavy use of an extra tackle. If you want to measure the effectiveness of the run game that year, you use average per carry. Not bulk yardage. We did run it a ton that year (4th most rushing attempts in the NFL). So maybe the ranking of 9th in yardage wasn't so impressive.

As for how great the line is now, it's highly debatable whether or not it's just fantastic coaching by PA. We've had a pair of 1st rounders on the right side, and Whit was a 2nd rounder. This team has always spent good draft picks on linemen and then thrown money at them. How many low round draft picks has PA truly developed? Clint Boling (4th rounder - still a quality pick) is solid playing next to Whit. Anyone else? (Cue Fred bringing up Stacy Andrews' Eagles contract). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander is one of the top OL coaches in football. if you knew anything about the coaching industry you would know this as well.
Reply/Quote
Lol you're not a hater for calling out Tate.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 08:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Paul Alexander is one of the top OL coaches in football.    if you knew anything about the coaching industry you would know this as well.

I didn't know there was such a thing called a "coaching industry".  Does it contribute to the gross domestic product or is it something women put their lipstick and mascara in?
Reply/Quote