Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More tariffs paid by US consumers
Trump has announced tariffs on goods from Mexico that will end up being paid by US consumers, just like the Chinese tariffs. But who cares that Trump is filling the government coffers with funds from a regressive, consumption based tax that disproportionately affects the poor and middles classes? $72 billion in revenue, and what is it going towards? Infrastructure that is desperately needed? Health care? Education? What's the plan for this money that Trump is bringing in?

Is the military industrial complex about to see another pay day?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
No biggie. The massive republican corporate handout (tax break) was unpaid for. So if all us common folk save up our massive 76 cent weekly tax breaks and use it to pay these tariffs. Its a win win for our friendly billionaire overlords.
First off, I'm no expert at MacroEcon so I really can't speak to the financial aspect of the tariffs, but they probably can't be good for Mexico. I willsay it seems counterproductive to the New NAFTA.

Secondly, did that article say over 100,00 migrants in each of the last 2 months have been detained along the border and it's getting worse? We must do something.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2019, 11:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off, I'm no expert at MacroEcon so I really can't speak to the financial aspect of the tariffs, but they probably can't be good for Mexico. I willsay it seems counterproductive to the New NAFTA.

Secondly, did that article say over 100,00 migrants in each of the last 2 months have been detained along the border and it's getting worse? We must do something.

I say we take that extra revenue and buy Mexico, I mean the whole damn country. It can't be worth much, I mean after all no one wants to live there. Buy it and build a Trump tower in Mexico city with solid gold crappers. problem solved. Ninja
I don't see the problem.

Republicans will pay for it out of the same massive trickle down pot that's being used to save farmers, steel workers, auto workers, corporations, oil companies and any other business impacted by dumb government decisions. Thanks goodness for the federal credit card, cause we'd be ****ed without it for the next couple decades.

Hell, let's tariff every country and pay for it with a 100% tax break on anyone making any income or declaring themselves a corporate entity. If we're going full capitalist, just rip off the bandage.
TLBig GrinR version....

Republicans: "Taxes trickle down"
Democats: "People should pay their fair share"

Republicans: "Tariffs create fairness"
Democrats: "Tariffs are a tax passed onto the consumer [a.k.a. trickle down]"
--------------------------------------------------------

(06-01-2019, 01:17 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: TLBig GrinR version....

Republicans:  "Taxes trickle down"
Democats:  "People should pay their fair share"

Republicans:  "Tariffs create fairness"

Just no, Baby.  That's not how trickle down works.  If the government reduces taxes for the wealthy and businesses their resultant increased revenue will trickle down to the peons like us because their increased disposable income will provide jobs for us to detail their Rolls Royce.
(06-01-2019, 01:17 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: TLBig GrinR version....

Republicans: "Taxes trickle down"
Democats: "People should pay their fair share"

Republicans: "Tariffs create fairness"

Since when have Republicans been saying tariffs create fairness? Republicans have been blowing the "free trade" horn for decades, which is promoting an elimination of tariffs. Tariffs are contrary to a free market. I've said before that I am not against tariffs when done in a thoughtful and measured way, but this isn't that, and I also favor more government regulation in the market that the current mainstream of both major parties.

Also, the Republican mantra on taxes hasn't been that they trickle down. That would be a more liberal viewpoint on redistribution of wealth. The Republican mantra has been that tax cuts for the wealthy cause a trickle down benefit to others, which is doesn't. Instead, in both the tariffs being passed on to consumers and the tax cuts staying in the hands of the wealthy, the wealthy and corporations have just proven that they wish to hoard as much money as possible and continue to grow their share of the wealth in this nation without concern for the poor and middle class. So really, the fact that the idea of taxes trickling down isn't true and the fact that tariffs are paid by end consumers, is just two sides of the same coin, the coin being pocketed by the wealthiest people in the country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The government has been paying billions of dollars to farmers effected by the tariffs on China, so that is where some of the revenue is going.
(06-01-2019, 12:17 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I say we take that extra revenue and buy Mexico, I mean the whole damn country. It can't be worth much, I mean after all no one wants to live there. Buy it and build a Trump tower in Mexico city with solid gold crappers. problem solved. Ninja

I agree. Just think how much better our men's National Soccer team would be. Plus lots of travel destinations.

Matter of fact why buy it/ Let's just go take it. We can tell the citizenry we are there to liberate them.

(06-03-2019, 10:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Since when have Republicans been saying tariffs create fairness? Republicans have been blowing the "free trade" horn for decades, which is promoting an elimination of tariffs. Tariffs are contrary to a free market. I've said before that I am not against tariffs when done in a thoughtful and measured way, but this isn't that, and I also favor more government regulation in the market that the current mainstream of both major parties.

Also, the Republican mantra on taxes hasn't been that they trickle down. That would be a more liberal viewpoint on redistribution of wealth. The Republican mantra has been that tax cuts for the wealthy cause a trickle down benefit to others, which is doesn't. Instead, in both the tariffs being passed on to consumers and the tax cuts staying in the hands of the wealthy, the wealthy and corporations have just proven that they wish to hoard as much money as possible and continue to grow their share of the wealth in this nation without concern for the poor and middle class. So really, the fact that the idea of taxes trickling down isn't true and the fact that tariffs are paid by end consumers, is just two sides of the same coin, the coin being pocketed by the wealthiest people in the country.

TLDR

Ha dumb dems with their TDS.
Its like they forgot their parties principle beliefs because of some orange shitty haircut conman.

Sarcasm
(05-31-2019, 09:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Trump has announced tariffs on goods from Mexico that will end up being paid by US consumers, just like the Chinese tariffs. But who cares that Trump is filling the government coffers with funds from a regressive, consumption based tax that disproportionately affects the poor and middles classes? $72 billion in revenue, and what is it going towards? Infrastructure that is desperately needed? Health care? Education? What's the plan for this money that Trump is bringing in?

Is the military industrial complex about to see another pay day?

My money says our money is going to go toward more excursions to Mar A Lago.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
LOL. "Trickle Down" the biggest falsehood politicians ever tried to get over on voters.
Chipotle announced they may have to increase the price of their food if these tariffs go through.

That'd be an outstanding way to get young people to realize we need to vote out Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/chipotle-says-mexican-tariffs-could-boost-costs-by-15-million-in-2019.html
(06-03-2019, 10:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Also, the Republican mantra on taxes hasn't been that they trickle down. That would be a more liberal viewpoint on redistribution of wealth. The Republican mantra has been that tax cuts for the wealthy cause a trickle down benefit to others, which is doesn't. Instead, in both the tariffs being passed on to consumers and the tax cuts staying in the hands of the wealthy, the wealthy and corporations have just proven that they wish to hoard as much money as possible and continue to grow their share of the wealth in this nation without concern for the poor and middle class. So really, the fact that the idea of taxes trickling down isn't true and the fact that tariffs are paid by end consumers, is just two sides of the same coin, the coin being pocketed by the wealthiest people in the country.

But what about . . .

[Image: hillary-clinton-9251306-2-402.jpg]
(06-04-2019, 05:57 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: LOL. "Trickle Down" the biggest falsehood politicians ever tried to get over on voters.

"Tried"? As in failed to fool an electoral majority?

[Image: 180322-donald-trump-ronald-reagan-portra...t-760w.jpg]
As I said: I'm no Macro-Econ expert but, if these tariffs are so bad for America then why is Mexico trying so hard to get POTUS to change his mind? Do they care about us that much?

(06-06-2019, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I'm no Macro-Econ expert but, if these tariffs are so bad for America then why is Mexico trying so hard to get POTUS to change his mind? Do they care about us that much?

just because it ***** the common US citizen, doesn't mean it doesn't **** the common mexican as well.  everyone gets ******.  and while that sounds great for some rich super evangelical xtians, some people can't abort the debt baby through bankruptcy and other legal maneuvering.

but you're no macro-econ expert, so that probably went way over your head.
(06-06-2019, 06:59 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: just because it ***** the common US citizen, doesn't mean it doesn't **** the common mexican as well.  everyone gets ******.  and while that sounds great for some rich super evangelical xtians, some people can't abort the debt baby through bankruptcy and other legal maneuvering.

...or beneath me. But thanks for the explanation. 

(06-06-2019, 06:59 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: just because it ***** the common US citizen, doesn't mean it doesn't **** the common mexican as well.  everyone gets ******.  and while that sounds great for some rich super evangelical xtians, some people can't abort the debt baby through bankruptcy and other legal maneuvering.

So we pay more, the rich get richer, and the mexicans lose their jobs? Well I am like every body else and this sounds like a dream scenario. We never mind paying a little more. We all love when the rich get richer, trickle down for the win. And when the mexicans lose their jobs they come here and there is no doubt we all love major migrant flows.