Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Memorable Sporting Event...
It's the offseason, so there's a lot of filler while we wait for games to actually happen. In anticipation of those games, I thought it would be nice if we had a chance to look backwards and share our most memorable experiences at sporting events. Here are my top 3 (brace yourself, mine are all Ohio State football games):

#3 September 5, 2009 #6 Ohio State v. Navy

By all means this should not have been a good game, but Navy's triple option is always tough to defend. Late in the 4th quarter, Ohio State was up 29-14. Game over, right? But with just over six minutes left, Navy completes an 85 yard TD pass (that's right, Navy completed a pass Shocked ) to bring the score to 21-29. 5 plays later, Pryor throws deep and gets intercepted, setting Navy up in Buckeye territory with nearly 4 minutes to go. Navy goes back to the running game and ends up scoring a few short plays later. They set up for the 2 point conversion to tie the game, and for some reason they abandon the run game. The pass gets intercepted in the end zone and run all the way back for the longest 2 point play I've ever seen. Aside from the dramatic finish, this game was especially memorable for me because roughly half of my coworkers are Naval Academy graduates.

#2 October 31, 2009 #17 Ohio State v. New Mexico State

With over two decades of regular game attendance, I'm as surprised as you are that two of my top three came from the same year. What's even more shocking is that I only bought one ticket for this entire season (v. Navy), and the only other OSU game I attended that season was this one because a friend of mine didn't feel like going. Now, the game itself wasn't actually all that memorable aside from the fact that the team pitched a shutout. As a football fan, I have to appreciate how difficult that is to achieve against any opponent. That said, the halftime show was the best I've ever seen. TBDBITL lived up to their name by executing a flawless Halloween-themed show that incorporated Ecto-1 (the Ghostbusters' vintage ambulance), a hoarde of M!ch!g@n zombies seeking brains, and the entire brass section dropping their instruments to dance to "Thriller". I only wish the AV department taped that halftime show with the same quality that their modern counterparts do so I could share it with you here.

#1 January 1, 2015 #4 Ohio State v. #1 Alabama

This one is the obvious choice for #1 because it carries the weight of history and the magic of a fairy tale. I'm sure you are all familiar with the storylines by now, the first ever college football playoff, playing the #1 seed in the heart of the south, the 3rd string QB, the epic performance by Elliott (over 200 yards against a defense that had not given up 100 yards on the ground in years), and no one in the media giving OSU a chance. Combine all that with my first trip to New Orleans, New Year's Eve, and a free Train concert, and it was definitely a cool place to be.
Reply/Quote
Cool idea.....

My first one has got to be Jimmy Breech's gamewinning FG against Washington in OT late in the 1988 season. It was my first NFL game. The Jungle was absolutely rockin'. Welcome to the Jungle was a new release, Ickey was doin the shuffle on the sidelines, and the Bengals were headed to the big show.....my what a day.....and a cold day at that, our hot chocolate was cold by the time we got back to our seats. One I'll never forget.

Speaking of firsts, my first Reds game was in 1985, and I got to watch them take on Fernando Valenzuela. I also saw a very young Eric Davis steal 2nd, then 3rd, and then score on a wild pitch. Man, what speed!

Third, the infamous "I just meant to rattle his cage" incident at Bristol Motor Speedway. The night The Intimidator punted Terry Labonte into the wall for the win. My,what a scene that was......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
THE two superbowls.

Need I say more.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
1974 Bengals vs. Oilers - 1st ever NFL game, loved it even though we lost.

1976 Reds game - I was in the first row right on 3rd base, I was just feet away from Charlie Hustle just cloud nine for me then.

2000 Reds game - Was the first home game for the Griffey Jr. vs. McGwire show. Griffey Jr. hit a homer not to far from me, later McGwire hit a moon shot that damn near went out of the park ! He got a standing ovation, of course this was before you know.......... but it was an awesome atmosphere then.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 07:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cool idea.....

My first one has got to be Jimmy Breech's gamewinning FG against Washington in OT late in the 1988 season.  It was my first NFL game.  The Jungle was absolutely rockin'.  Welcome to the Jungle was a new release, Ickey was doin the shuffle on the sidelines, and the Bengals were headed to the big show.....my what a day.....and a cold day at that, our hot chocolate was cold by the time we got back to our seats.  One I'll never forget.

Speaking of firsts, my first Reds game was in 1985, and I got to watch them take on Fernando Valenzuela.  I also saw a very young Eric Davis steal 2nd, then 3rd, and then score on a wild pitch.  Man, what speed!l

Man I jumped to conclusions here. I was at that Bengals game too. The win established home field advantage. What a game.

The conclusion I jumped to, before I finished reading the sentence about Eric Davis.... I was at a Reds game around '85. They were playing the mets. Davis stole 3rd ( can't remember if he stole 2nd ). Ray Knight was playing 3rd for the mets. Davis slid in and upon finishing his slide came up and bumped Knight a bit. A huge Brawl ensued. That game went into extra innings because Dave Parker used to flip his glove while making a catch, well this time it cost him because he dropped the damn ball. Which was ok with me because I was a mets fan at the time because I liked Gary Carter. Anyway I thought you were gonna say you were there too.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Events I've attended off the top of my head>

1- The Freezer Bowl. Hands down #1. Didn't have a ticket, but if you knew the right door to knock on $20 could get you in. I was in the National Guard with a Cincy Cop that worked security down on the field. We joined him

2- 1st time to a Reds games. This was when Riverfront was a new stadium. I had never been out of rural KY, but our Little League team took a trip to a Reds game. When I walked through the opening and saw that field for the first time it was amazing

3- Cincinnati Stinger v. New England Whalers. Must have been 1978. Gordie Howe was already a sports legend and was close to 50 years old and played with 2 of his sons. Mark Messier played for the Stinger, but I had no idea who he was or if he even played in the game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 07:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: THE two superbowls.

Need I say more.

Amen!

Shame I was born in 1992, wish I could have been around back in the 80's to see Munoz in action!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
If it's games I've attended, they've both been Fresno State games.

1. Against Rutgers 2 seasons ago. Opening game, went to OT and Rutgers tried winning the game by going for 2. There were 10 lead changes in that game and we won 52-51. It was insane.

2. Also 2 seasons ago, we beat Boise State at home. It was the first time we had beaten them in quite a while. The stadium was electric, the game was a nail biter. I remember everyone going crazy when the clock struck zero.

The joy Derek Carr brought to this university...
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 10:38 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Man I jumped to conclusions here. I was at that Bengals game too. The win established home field advantage. What a game.

The conclusion I jumped to, before I finished reading the sentence about Eric Davis.... I was at a Reds game around '85. They were playing the mets.  Davis stole 3rd ( can't remember if he stole 2nd ). Ray Knight was playing 3rd for the mets. Davis slid in and upon finishing his slide came up and bumped Knight a bit. A huge Brawl ensued. That game went into extra innings because Dave Parker used to flip his glove while making a catch, well this time it cost him because he dropped the damn ball. Which was ok with me because I was a mets fan at the time because I liked Gary Carter. Anyway I thought you were gonna say you were there too.

What's funny is, I remember that fight after reading this..... ThumbsUp

Yeah, that was a "nasty habit" The Cobra had.....lol.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 07:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: THE two superbowls.

Need I say more.

You lucky S.O.B...... Big Grin

I have vivid memories of the second SB, but only from TV cameras.....

Reply/Quote
Hulk Hogan -v- Andre the Giant

Andre the Giant is just whoopin' Hulk Hogans butt like never before. The match is just about over since Andre the Giant has Hulk Hogan in a bear hug.

But...

Hulk Hogan reaches deep down driven on by the chants from the crowd. He breaks free from the crippling bear hug and disorients Andre the Giant. Hulk hogan then PICKS Andre the Giant up and body slams him and wins the match...and our hearts and minds.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
#1- 2014 Detroit-Baltimore ALDS Game 2. The Delmon Young game. I managed to get some standing room tickets for the game. We stood right above the away bullpen. I had my sign confiscated before the game even started ("Kate Show Us Your O's Face"... Verlander was pitching so Kate Upton was there). We trash talked Joba Chamberlain all game (he even yelled back). He goes out and allows two hits. They pull him out and the next pitcher gives up a double to Delmon Young. O's score and take the lead. I can still remember the sound of the bat hitting the ball. The crowd when absolutely crazy. We all felt like we were partially responsible for those 2 base runners since we got into Joba's head.

#2- Bengals @ Ravens Sept 10th, 2012. Went with my friend who is a Bengals fan (reason I first started posting at the OG boards). It was pretty fun watching the Ravens demolish the Bengals on the first Monday night game of the season (44-13). Little did I know, that season would end in a Ravens Super Bowl Championship.

#3- Vikings @ Ravens Aug 16th 2008 Preseason. Uneventful game. Joe Flacco's second game. After the game, though, They invited everyone to stay to watch Michael Phelp's race during the 2008 Olympics. He was going for the record for most golds in a single game by winning an 8th. I just remember sitting with thousands of others yelling "USA, USA" while they played it on the jumbotron. He won and the crowd went crazy for the local hero.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Steelers at Bengals September 27, 2009

That season my dad, my three brothers and I split 3 half season tix. I went to this game with my oldest younger brother and my dad. For this story to make sense, I have to talk a little about my dad first.  He's one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.  He doesn't really hate anyone.  Except Steelers fans. He HATES Steelers fans. He hates them so much. (At least when they're at PBS. I'm sure he has no problem with them in everyday life).  Anyway, he's sitting between my brother and me.  Two rows in front of us is a Steelers fan who is just talking smack the whole game. We're not engaging with her, but she's constantly turning around and yelling at us. So my dad leans down and says "I'm sorry. I can't understand you with that dick in your mouth". Both my brothers and my jaws dropped to the floor. We'd never heard our father say anything even remotely close to that.  He leaned back, saw our faces and said "What? She's been getting on my nerves.  I hate Steelers fans".

Oh, then the Bengals scored on their final drive with a few seconds left to win the game. I've never been to a game where the fans left as amped up as they did this one. But we talk about what my dad said every time we go to a game. He denies it happened. But it so very much did.
Reply/Quote
Got a few I was at

Mets vs Giants 2000 NLDS Game 3 Benny Agbayani Walkoff HR 13th Inning (Probably my favorite. The place stayed and celebrated 30 minutes after the game and I was bouncing up and down on the 3rd base sideline from everyone jumping)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUzjF0J-yPI

Mets vs. D'backs 1999 NLDS Game 4 Toddy Pratt Walkoff HR 10th Inning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5BeunJRAs

NY Giants 41 Minnesota Vikings 0 2000 NFC Championship Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eD_mIQOEao

Jets vs. Dolphins MNF 2000 Monday Night Miracle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCKu5rbL2_Q
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
SB XXXIII.

I was sitting in the end zone where Stanford Jennings returned the kickoff...and where John Taylor caught the winning TD. The highs and the lows.
Reply/Quote
Thanksgiving Day 1997 (also my birthday). Silverdome in Pontiac Michigan. Barry Sanders rushes for 3 tds and 167 yards on his way to over 2000 that season. He tied the NFL record with his 11th straight 100 yard game. His performance that day was nominated for an ESPY. Also Turkey Day is a huge tradition with Lions fans and the tailgating was crazy.

I also saw Johnny Bench hit his 350th home run, but I can't remember anything else about the game. Don't even know what year it was, but I was in high school.
Reply/Quote
Packers at Bengals 2013

My wife is a long time Packers fan, so she was clapping and laughing at how our team blew their early first quarter lead up by 14.

The Packers kept pouring it on. 30 points in a row. She was ecstatic.

Then slowly but surely the planets aligned for Bengal land. Rallied back by 20 points.

Final score - Bengals 34 / Packers 30

Such a weird but enjoyable game. For so many reasons.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330922004
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I attended the first game ever played at LP Field in Nashville (called Adelphia Field back then), but it was just a preseason game against the Falcons. Nothing special happened.

I also saw the Colorado Rockies play a few games in Mile High Stadium. Coors Field was not finished until their second season. But again, no really special games.
Reply/Quote
Mine are two games that I played in, as an adult. Both were in 2002, against the same opponent.

I played semi-pro football in Ohio and WV for several years, before I got injured and was forced to retire. I had played on some terrible teams, barely able to field a team type of teams. The nucleus of the group stayed together, and in 2002, we fielded a truly competitive semi-pro squad. The one team that had always seemed to have our number was the team from Akron. That year they were called the Jaguars (semi-pro teams often dissolve and reform from year to year, with the same cast of characters). Anyway, in our 1st meeting of the season, it was a grueling July day, with the temperature in the upper 90's. It was a hard hitting slugfest, with defenses ruling the day. Late in the game, with the nemesis driving toward a go ahead score, yours truly was getting his butt kicked by a much bigger man. (I was playing DT at about 235 that day) I had been flagged for encroachment twice on that drive, trying to get the jump on the bigger guy. Long story short, on 4th and goal I caught my jump just right, shot the gap and sacked their star QB Bubba Gains. We took over and ran out the clock.

That game was special, as we proved we were a force in the league that year. Even more special to me, as I normally did not play DT, our two big DL had went out with injury, and I slid down from DE.

Later that same season, they came to Zanesville for a night game. Much trash talking before the game, they were going to "make us hurt"... Things did not go their way, we dominated from the jump. They threw a tantrum, there was a huge bench clearing brawl in the field. They ended up quitting and leaving at half time. Sort of anticlimactic, as I had family and friends in the stands that night. However, I continued to play DT the rest of the season, and I made the first tackle of the game that day. A four yard loss, as the QB was handing the ball off.

No wonder I'm a Geno Atkins fan!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2015, 07:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I attended the first game ever played at LP Field in Nashville (called Adelphia Field back then), but it was just a preseason game against the Falcons.  Nothing special happened.

I also saw the Colorado Rockies play a few games in Mile High Stadium.  Coors Field was not finished until their second season.  But again, no really special games.

Yeah, I've been to a few "firsts" too....but nothing special happened. The first ever night race at Darlington Raceway comes to mind.....

I 've been to a few "lasts" too. Terry Labonte's last win, the last game at Riverfront, the last (until this year) Labor Day running of the Southern 500....

Reply/Quote