Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
Post the most underrated band/musician.
Try to keep it to those who are at least somewhat known to the general public.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
How about Matchbox 20? Specifically Mad Season, and the album that has a picture of Drew Carey in a WWI ace pilot uniform. I don't listen to hardly any music from after the mid 80s, but for whatever reason, I really liked those albums. Maybe they aren't underrated, I just personally don't hear much about them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
April Wine
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:17 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: April Wine

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:17 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: April Wine

X3
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say Triumph.

Especially Rik Emmet.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:30 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm going to say Triumph.

Especially Rik Emmet.

I was going to put them myself, but  I really only know four songs so I didn't know that I knew enough to make that claim.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I was going to put them myself, but  I really only know four songs so I didn't know that I knew enough to make that claim.

They are good and versatile musicians.

Rik can sing and play guitar with the best of them.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:30 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm going to say Triumph.

Especially Rik Emmet.

Not much of a fan of the power pop genre.  Don't doubt the musicianship or vocal ability(thought not a fan of most high voices) but, to me, the songs are really pretty lightweight, imo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
-The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson As influential as anything you can find.
-Traffic/Steve Winwood
-Faith No More
-Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis (In relation to bands like Nirvana and guitarists like Kurt Cobain)
-ELO
-Beck. Had it been in a different era he'd be 10 times more known.
-Cake
-Del/Detron. One of the best ever in hip-hop. Writes way too intelligent shit for the masses listening to Kanye West.
-Morphine

-Mark Knopfler
-Andy Summers
-Brian May
-George Benson

I'll stop here.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: -The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson  As influential as anything you can find.
-Traffic/Steve Winwood
-Faith No More
-Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis (In relation to bands like Nirvana and guitarists like Kurt Cobain)
-ELO
-Beck.  Had it been in a different era he'd be 10 times more known.
-Cake
-Del/Detron.  One of the best ever in hip-hop.  Writes way too intelligent shit for the masses listening to Kanye West.
-Morphine

-Mark Knopfler
-Andy Summers
-Brian May
-George Benson

I'll stop here.
I agree with most everything you said here except for the Brian Wilson part.  He's really just a thief.  He stole his entire sound from Chuck Berry and Jan and Dean.  He did have a long career and wrote some good songs and yes, the harmonies are great.  I just can't agree with the influential part.  If someone said he was great at spreading Chuck's influence, I'd be on board with that.

Traffic--exceptional.  And Steve Winwood, absolute genius.

Totally agree on Mark Knopfler.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:18 PM)McC Wrote: I agree with most everything you said here except for the Brian Wilson part.  He's really just a thief.  He stole his entire sound from Chuck Berry and Jan and Dean.  He did have a long career and wrote some good songs and yes, the harmonies are great.  I just can't agree with the influential part.  If someone said he was great at spreading Chuck's influence, I'd be on board with that.

Traffic--exceptional.  And Steve Winwood, absolute genius.

Totally agree on Mark Knopfler.
I agree with most of these as well.

Knopfler needs to be taken out back and shot for Money For Nothing.

Man I loathe that song.

What a shit cherry to put on the top of an otherwise great career.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree with most of these as well.

Knopfler needs to be taken out back and shot for Money For Nothing.

Man I loathe that song.

What a shit cherry to put on the top of an otherwise great career.

Couldn't agree more.  That seemed to be all about a payday.  MTV's fault.  It was an insult to his own work.

Reply/Quote
Wow other people hate "Money for Nothing"? I really thought I was alone on that as it's treated as some sort of rock triumph.

Reply/Quote
I'm going way outside of the box here....

The Blues Brothers Band and Junior Brown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:35 PM)Wyche Wrote:  Junior Brown.

I call him Hillbilly Hendrix.

For those that don't know Junior is a guitar virtuoso who plays a double neck guitar.  One is a regular guitar and the other is a slide steel.  He plays old-school style country music with Hendrix like riffs.

Listening to him on a CD is not as impressive as watching him live.  Even if you are not s big fan of his genre you should see him play if you appreciate great guitar work.
Reply/Quote
can the best selling duo be considered underrated? I don't think they get enough credit for their song writing skills. in all fairness not sure if they wrong this particular song though.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:50 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: can the best selling duo be considered underrated?   I don't think they get enough credit for their song writing skills.

How are you a duo with six people on stage?  What exactly constitutes a duo? Is it that the rest of the musicians are just hired and can change on a regular basis?

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How are you a duo with six people on stage?  What exactly constitutes a duo?

probably has to do with whoever in the band writes the music I'm guessing?  the rest of the band are probably hired guns so to speak....studio musicians.

i dunno.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 08:48 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Try to keep it to those who are at least somewhat known to the general public.

Very few people have heard of the band "Aquarium Rescue Unit", but many people have heard of the individual members.  Although the band was never commercially successful, their combination of bluegrass, rock, Latin, jazz, funk, and impeccable chops became a template for future bands.  They were a feature part of the original H.O.R.D.E. Tour in 1992.  There best CD is the the self titled Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit

Col Bruce Hampton....Surrealist poetic genius.  if you have seen the movie Slingblade he played the songwriter/manger of Doyle's band.

Jimmy Herring.....Lead Guitarist for The Allman Brothers.  Also toured with the surviving Grateful Dead members playing lead after Jerry Garcia died as well as many other bands.

Otiel Burbidge......the greatest bass player no one has heard of.  Played for The Allman Brothers and and the band Trey Anastasio formed after Phish broke up.  He has won multiple awards as a bass player and has worked with the biggest names in the business in both jazz and rock.  In 2012 he won a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award.
Reply/Quote