Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
(02-05-2016, 05:59 PM)McC Wrote: How does Steely Dan fit into all this?  I've always loved them and considered them underrated.  What think ye?

Definitely underrated, as was Ozark Mountain Daredevils......my picks were based on the perception of those acts being considered "novelties", when they are indeed very good artists.  Just look at that lineup in The Blues Brothers, hell, the backbone of Stax/Vox Records is in it with Colonel Cropper and Duck Dunn.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Definitely underrated, as was Ozark Mountain Daredevils......my picks were based on the perception of those acts being considered "novelties", when they are indeed very good artists.  Just look at that lineup in The Blues Brothers, hell, the backbone of Stax/Vox Records is in it with Colonel Cropper and Duck Dunn.

Ya ain't gotta sell me on Blues Brothers.  Talk about an all star band.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:08 PM)McC Wrote: Ya ain't gotta sell me on Blues Brothers.  Talk about an all star band.

No doubt....I showed my girls that flick a little over a year ago....you can imagine my pride when a 3 and 5 year old request it when you ask them what movie they want to see over their cartoons from time to time.  Hell, they even watched it on the ride to Myrtle Beach, glued to their 10 inch screens. LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt....I showed my girls that flick a little over a year ago....you can imagine my pride when a 3 and 5 year old request it when you ask them what movie they want to see over their cartoons from time to time.  Hell, they even watched it on the ride to Myrtle Beach, glued to their 10 inch screens. LOL

Great movie.  And to think it all came out of a skit on a live tv show.  I think if Belushi had lived, they would have made ten more.

We're on a mission from God. 

If you're an artist and you're introducing phrases to the common lexicon, you have hit your mark
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Definitely underrated, as was Ozark Mountain Daredevils......my picks were based on the perception of those acts being considered "novelties", when they are indeed very good artists.  Just look at that lineup in The Blues Brothers, hell, the backbone of Stax/Vox Records is in it with Colonel Cropper and Duck Dunn.

Part of the reason they were considered a novelty is becaue they did songs like "Rubber Biscuit" on SNL instead of more straight ahead blues songs.

I had "Briefcase Full of Blues" and wore it out.  That was a tight as hell band, and Bulushi was not bad as a blues singer.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Part of the reason they were considered a novelty is becaue they did songs like "Rubber Biscuit" on SNL instead of more straight ahead blues songs.

I had "Briefcase Full of Blues" and wore it out.  That was a tight as hell band, and Bulushi was not bad as a blues singer.
And ya gotta love the flips on stage.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:15 PM)McC Wrote: Great movie.  And to think it all came out of a skit on a live tv show.  I think if Belushi had lived, they would have made ten more.

We're on a mission from God. 

If you're an artist and you're introducing phrases to the common lexicon, you have hit your mark

Yeah, that is nuts when you think about what all it spurred.  I definitely think if he had lived, there would have been more albums.

Those boys introduced several phrases, for real.....I like to draw and paint, always have, used to spend entire Saturdays sketching, and wish like hell I had picked up an instrument.  Hell, I even got into drafting, and then didn't go to school for it, sheesh, what an idiot!  LMAO

(02-05-2016, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Part of the reason they were considered a novelty is becaue they did songs like "Rubber Biscuit" on SNL instead of more straight ahead blues songs.

That's a good point about the SNL performances.  I still have the vinyl, have it and the soundtrack on cassette, and have it, the soundtrack, and The Essential Collection on CD LOL  A very tight unit, and Belushi was indeed a decent front, Aykroyd was nuts on the harp, and their schtick and dancing was classic.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, that is nuts when you think about what all it spurred.  I definitely think if he had lived, there would have been more albums.

.....I like to draw and paint, always have, used to spend entire Saturdays sketching, and wish like hell I had picked up an instrument.  Hell, I even got into drafting, and then didn't go to school for it, sheesh, what an idiot!  LMAO

That's a good point about the SNL performances.  I still have the vinyl, have it and the soundtrack on cassette, and have it, the soundtrack, and The Essential Collection on CD LOL  A very tight unit, and Belushi was indeed a decent front, Aykroyd was nuts on the harp, and their schtick and dancing was classic.

The dancing is killer.  The whole look was genius too.

That movie is like Josey Wales to me.  Seen a thousand time, ready to see it a thousand more.

And, not for nothing, it is never too late to pick up an instrument, bro.  Never too late.  Never too late.  Never too late.  And, at the risk of repeating myself, never too late.

Did I mention that it's never too late?

Reply/Quote
Speaking of Briefcase Full of Blues......"B Movie Boxcar Blues" FTW!!!!! Wink

That album cover is my phone wallpaper, and my FB profile pic from time to time. I'm a bit of a fan..... ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:37 PM)McC Wrote: The dancing is killer.  The whole look was genius too.

That movie is like Josey Wales to me.  Seen a thousand time, ready to see it a thousand more.

And, not for nothing, it is never too late to pick up an instrument, bro.  Never too late.  Never too late.  Never too late.  And, at the risk of repeating myself, never too late.

Did I mention that it's never too late?

Yes, those two, High Plains Drifter, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, Christmas Vacation, and Dazed and Confused....could watch 'em all over and over, back to back.

.....did you say something about it being too late? Tongue

(maybe it's time to dust off that old banjo in the corner I picked up at a flea mkt again.....)

Reply/Quote
Anyone else think Les Claypool and Buckethead are under rated?   In my humble opinion, they are two of the greatest guitarists of all time.  If I had to build an All Star rock band, these two would be in it.  

Under rated Rock Band-

Vocalist- Mark Lanegan
Bass- Les Claypool
Rhythm- Buckethead
Lead Guitar- Nels Cline
Drummer- Glen Kotche
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Anyone else think Les Claypool and Buckethead are under rated?   In my humble opinion, they are two of the greatest guitarists of all time.  If I had to build an All Star rock band, these two would be in it.  

Under rated Rock Band-

Vocalist- Mark Lanegan
Bass- Les Claypool
Rhythm- Buckethead
Lead Guitar- Nels Cline
Drummer- Glen Kotche

Claypool has to be one of, if not the best bassists ever.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, those two, High Plains Drifter, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, Christmas Vacation, and Dazed and Confused....could watch 'em all over and over, back to back.

.....did you say something about it being too late? Tongue

(maybe it's time to dust off that old banjo in the corner I picked up at a flea mkt again.....)
You know what?  I think this topic might make a pretty decent thread.  If you don't mind, I think I'll start one.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:53 PM)McC Wrote: You know what?  I think this topic might make a pretty decent thread.  If you don't mind, I think I'll start one.

I say go for it, brother-man. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 06:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Claypool has to be one of, if not the best bassists ever.

You don't see many rock stars play fretless bass.

I never saw Primus, but I saw him play with Oysterhead.  Les was freaking incredible.
Reply/Quote
Even though Prince is one of the biggest stars ever I think he is underrated as a guitar player. Too many people just think of him as a prancing lead singer.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though Prince is one of the biggest stars ever I think he is underrated as a guitar player.  Too many people just think of him as a prancing lead singer.

That guy is an excellent musician.  You're right about his guitar playing.

You tell an old school musician you think Prince is good and most of the time they give you a puzzled look.

I really liked what he did here...  even the swagger.

I also really enjoyed his Foo Fighters cover "Best of You" and guitar solo at the Superbowl years back.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Prince gets underrated because he's a massive dick.

When you have a very well known public perception of you as being an asshole...people don't really care about the rest.

Take Metallica for example.
They were everything about heavy metal/hard rock for a decade plus. Then the napster thing hit. Assholes. Public enemy #1.
Then it was just cool and in style to trash everything Metallica even going back to Kill Em All.

Prince puts copy right violations on everything. It's apparently hard to do anything but a live cover of a Prince song and even then, better hope no one puts it on youtube.
Reply/Quote
Chicago.
Reply/Quote
Buddy Guy? I don't know if any of you consider him under rated thou? He's only the greatest guitarist I've ever seen live.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote