Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
(02-07-2016, 08:12 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Buddy Guy?  I don't know if any of you consider him under rated thou? He's only the greatest guitarist I've ever seen live.

In general he may be, but anyone who listens to blues has him top 5 easily
Reply/Quote
Nobody ever talks about Dr. John and he is great. Pretty specific niche but one of the best at it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though Prince is one of the biggest stars ever I think he is underrated as a guitar player.  Too many people just think of him as a prancing lead singer.

While not even close to the same level, this reminds me of John Mayer. His music is not my cup of tea, but the man can play the blues.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Rush used to fall into this category, not sure if they do anymore. Can't think of a better trio of musicians.

If you like progressive metal, Ayreon is worth checking out. It can come across a little cheesy, but it's very good. IMO at least.

Gabriel Era Genesis is great.

King Crimson is great and deserves more attention.

Anything Mike Patton does.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 02:45 PM)Pezmerga Wrote: Rush used to fall into this category, not sure if they do anymore. Can't think of a better trio of musicians.

If you like progressive metal, Ayreon is worth checking out. It can come across a little cheesy, but it's very good. IMO at least.

Gabriel Era Genesis is great.

King Crimson is great and deserves more attention.

Anything Mike Patton does.

Can't believe I forgot Patton

He's probably the most underrated musician of a generation stuck with a one hit wonder label. 
Reply/Quote
Bela Fleck. The term "eclectic" is a bit overused, but Bela defines the term. He has been nominated in more different categories than any musician in Grammy history.

Grammies he has won......

1995- Best Country Instrumental Performance Hightower by Asleep at the Wheel with Béla Fleck and Johnny Gimble.

1996 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance The Sinister Minister by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones (with Sam Bush & Paul McCandless)

1997 – Best Southern, Country Or Bluegrass Gospel Album Amazing Grace 2 – A Country Salute To Gospel by David Corlew & Peter York, compilation producers.

1998 – Best Instrumental Composition Almost 12 by Béla Fleck, Future Man & Victor Lemonte Wooten, composers.

2000 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album Outbound by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2000 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Leaving Cottondale by Alison Brown and Béla Fleck

2001 – Best Instrumental Arrangement Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum from Children’s Corner Suite (Debussy) by Béla Fleck and Edgar Meyer

2001 – Best Classical Crossover Album Perpetual Motion by Béla Fleck with Edgar Meyer, Joshua Bell, and others

2006 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album The Hidden Land by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2007 – LATIN GRAMMY: Mejor Álbum Instrumental The Enchantment (Béla Fleck & Chick Corea, artists. Bernie Kirsh, engineer. Béla Fleck & Chick Corea, producers.)

2009 – Best Pop Instrumental Album Jingle All The Way by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2010 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance Throw Down Your Heart by Béla Fleck

2010 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol. 3 by Béla Fleck

2011 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart, Africa Sessions Part 2: Unreleased Track by Béla Fleck

2012 – Best Instrumental Composition Life in Eleven by Béla Fleck and Howard Levy

Grammy Nominations....

2009 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart

2009 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance Throw Down Your Heart

2009 – Best Classical Crossover Album The Melody Of Rhythm

2008 – Best Pop Instrumental Album Jingle All The Way

2008 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Sleigh Ride (from Jingle All The Way)

2006 – Best Pop Instrumental Subterfuge (from The Hidden Land)

2005 – Best Country Instrumental Who’s Your Uncle (from Best Kept Secret by Jerry Douglas)

2005 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album Soulgrass by Bill Evans (co-produced by Béla)

2002 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Bear Mountain Hop (from The Country Bears Soundtrack)

2000 – Best Pop Instrumental Zona Mona (from Outbound)

1999 – Best Bluegrass Bluegrass Sessions

1998 – Best Pop Instrumental Big Country (from Left Of Cool)

1998 – Best Country Instrumental The Ride (from Restless On the Farm by Jerry Douglas)

1996 – Best World Music Tabula Rasa

1995 – Best Country Instrumental Cheeseballs In Cowtown (from The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2)

1994 – Best Spoken Word For Children The Creation by Amy Grant

1992 – Best Jazz Instrumental Magic Fingers (from UFO Tofu)

1991 – Best Jazz Album Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

1991 – Best Jazz Instrumental Blu-Bop

1990 – Best Jazz Album Béla Fleck & The Flecktones

1990 – Best Jazz Instrumental

1989 – Best Country Instrumental Bigfoot (from Friday Night In America by New Grass Revival)

1988 – Best Bluegrass album Drive

1987 – Best Country Instrumental Metric Lips (from Hold to a Dream by New Grass Revival)

1986 – Best Country Instrumental Seven By Seven (from New Grass Revival by New Grass Revival)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bela Fleck.  The term "eclectic" is a bit overused, but Bela defines the term.  He has been nominated in more different categories than any musician in Grammy history.

Grammies he has won......

1995- Best Country Instrumental Performance Hightower by Asleep at the Wheel with Béla Fleck and Johnny Gimble.

1996 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance The Sinister Minister by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones (with Sam Bush & Paul McCandless)

1997 – Best Southern, Country Or Bluegrass Gospel Album Amazing Grace 2 – A Country Salute To Gospel by David Corlew & Peter York, compilation producers.

1998 – Best Instrumental Composition Almost 12 by Béla Fleck, Future Man & Victor Lemonte Wooten, composers.

2000 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album Outbound by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2000 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Leaving Cottondale by Alison Brown and Béla Fleck

2001 – Best Instrumental Arrangement Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum from Children’s Corner Suite (Debussy) by Béla Fleck and Edgar Meyer

2001 – Best Classical Crossover Album Perpetual Motion by Béla Fleck with Edgar Meyer, Joshua Bell, and others

2006 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album The Hidden Land by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2007 – LATIN GRAMMY: Mejor Álbum Instrumental The Enchantment (Béla Fleck & Chick Corea, artists. Bernie Kirsh, engineer. Béla Fleck & Chick Corea, producers.)

2009 – Best Pop Instrumental Album Jingle All The Way by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

2010 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance Throw Down Your Heart by Béla Fleck

2010 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol. 3 by Béla Fleck

2011 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart, Africa Sessions Part 2: Unreleased Track by Béla Fleck

2012 – Best Instrumental Composition Life in Eleven by Béla Fleck and Howard Levy

Grammy Nominations....

2009 – Best Contemporary World Music Album Throw Down Your Heart

2009 – Best Pop Instrumental Performance Throw Down Your Heart

2009 – Best Classical Crossover Album The Melody Of Rhythm

2008 – Best Pop Instrumental Album Jingle All The Way

2008 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Sleigh Ride (from Jingle All The Way)

2006 – Best Pop Instrumental Subterfuge (from The Hidden Land)

2005 – Best Country Instrumental Who’s Your Uncle (from Best Kept Secret by Jerry Douglas)

2005 – Best Contemporary Jazz Album Soulgrass by Bill Evans (co-produced by Béla)

2002 – Best Country Instrumental Performance Bear Mountain Hop (from The Country Bears Soundtrack)

2000 – Best Pop Instrumental Zona Mona (from Outbound)

1999 – Best Bluegrass Bluegrass Sessions

1998 – Best Pop Instrumental Big Country (from Left Of Cool)

1998 – Best Country Instrumental The Ride (from Restless On the Farm by Jerry Douglas)

1996 – Best World Music Tabula Rasa

1995 – Best Country Instrumental Cheeseballs In Cowtown (from The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2)

1994 – Best Spoken Word For Children The Creation by Amy Grant

1992 – Best Jazz Instrumental Magic Fingers (from UFO Tofu)

1991 – Best Jazz Album Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

1991 – Best Jazz Instrumental Blu-Bop

1990 – Best Jazz Album Béla Fleck & The Flecktones

1990 – Best Jazz Instrumental

1989 – Best Country Instrumental Bigfoot (from Friday Night In America by New Grass Revival)

1988 – Best Bluegrass album Drive

1987 – Best Country Instrumental Metric Lips (from Hold to a Dream by New Grass Revival)

1986 – Best Country Instrumental Seven By Seven (from New Grass Revival by New Grass Revival)

I caught Bela at a music festival in my hometown a couple years ago....very good musician.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Will this thread be followed by a Most Properly Rated Band/ Musician thread?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 05:34 PM)jason Wrote: Will this thread be followed by a Most Properly Rated Band/ Musician thread?

Yeah bands that hit the sweet spot.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: -Andy Summers

I'm sure you mean his jazzy instrumental stuff, but did you ever hear his only pop album, XYZ, from 1987?  Wow, does this guy look uncomfortable as a singing frontman!

Reply/Quote
Dethklok = Purest metal band i know
Amon amarth = Viking metal

Not sure if they are underrated though just probly not well known
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 01:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure you mean his jazzy instrumental stuff, but did you ever hear his only pop album, XYZ, from 1987?  Wow, does this guy look uncomfortable as a singing frontman!

Mega-awkward.

Man that's awful.  The main riff is like a bad rip off of "Message In A Bottle" to boot.

I have a one word review of it actually.  "Blaaaaaaah".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 07:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mega-awkward.

Man that's awful.  The main riff is like a bad rip off of "Message In A Bottle" to boot.

I have a one word review of it actually.  "Blaaaaaaah".

Amusingly, I had this album on today and I thought of how I posted about it on here...lo and behold it was a year ago to the day.  Wacky.  
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 05:34 PM)jason Wrote: Will this thread be followed by a Most Properly Rated Band/ Musician thread?

Chuck Klosterman wrote an article listing "The Ten Most Accurately Rated Artists In Rock History" back in 2005. Pretty good read.
Reply/Quote
Zephyr.  A largely forgotten band that featured Tommy Bolin on lead guitar.  Candy Givens rivaled anything Janis ever did.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Donnyho
Chuck Klosterman wrote an article listing "The Ten Most Accurately Rated Artists In Rock History" back in 2005. Pretty good read.

The thing that bothers me about Triumph is that other than being a three piece band from Canada with a higher pitch singer...  there is nothing those two bands have in common.

This is why they are underrated.  They are dismissed as a Rush wannabe knock off. 

Not true at all and absolutely a moronic blanket statement.

"Better" in music is opinion based.  Skilled musicians in both. 

If someone claims they know who is "better" than they also should know everything about both.

Triumph is a blues and rock n' roll based band with melodic pop infusion.

Rush is a progressive rock band with odd time signatures at times and lyrics which resemble classic poetry/literature.

They are absolutely apples and oranges.  Any person critiquing worth his salt would know this.

It would be like comparing Rush to Journey.  Not even the same style of music.

Alex Lifeson is a stellar guitar player but his role changed as Rush developed their sound. 

He started to use guitar as a layer and texture to not detract from Geddy Lee's often busy bass lines.

Rik Emmett smokes on guitar, and does so with as much ease as Geddy while singing and playing bass.

Of course Neil Peart is a drum God so no comparison there. 

Gil Moore shares lead vocals and plays drums at the same time.  Not too many drummers do this...  maybe a handful?

Triumph's bass player just plays typical bass lines but also plays keys sometimes like Geddy.  Not even in the same ballpark though. LOL

Rush as a whole is more skilled.

I just like proper analysis when comparing two bands.  Not...  "I heard one of their songs on the radio and now I know" kind of thinking.

Here's one of Triumph's earlier songs that might be considered closer to Rush style of writing.  Kind of fits the world we live in.

"Ordinary Man"
Look in the mirror tell me what do you see
Or can you lie to yourself like you're lyin' to me
Do you fall asleep real easy, feelin' justified and right
Or do you wake up feelin' empty in the middle of the night
You want to think you're different, but you know you never can
You're just another ordinary man

Hey politician, can't believe a word you say
Almighty media, whose truth did you serve today?
Watchdog of justice, who keeps their eye on you?
Con man, song in hand, who you singin' to?
The more I get to see, the less I understand
I'm just another ordinary man

[CHORUS:]
Ordinary man
Ordinary man
Just another ordinary man
Comes a time to take a stand

No rest for the wicked, they get it while they can
The preachers and the teachers and your local Congressman
Everybody plays the game they played since time began
Lawyers and accountant, your media man

Everybody's talkin' but nothin's gettin' said
You're looking for the truth you better look inside your head

I see the flash of lightnin'
I hear the thunder roll
A hungry knife, a slice of life
It cuts another soul

Power finds a way to those who take a stand
Stand up...  ordinary man!

Once I thought the truth, was gonna set me free
But now I feel the chains of its responsibility
I will not be a puppet, I cannot play it safe
I'll give myself away with a blind and simple faith
I'm just the same as you, I just do the best I can
That's the only answer...for an ordinary man

[CHORUS]

No such thing as easy answers
You play to win and you take your chances

[CHORUS]

Here's to health, here's to wealth
May you never doubt yourself

[CHORUS]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bela Fleck.  The term "eclectic" is a bit overused, but Bela defines the term.  He has been nominated in more different categories than any musician in Grammy history.

I recently recommend 90s Flecktones to someone asking me for other stuff that they would like based on their love of "Journey of the Sorcerer" by The Eagles. 

Speaking of The Eagles, are people aware they somewhat lifted the structure for Hotel California from Jethro Tull? Listen for yourself:

Tull is pretty underrated in the US considering how large a contribution they've made. 

Also, random Ian Anderson fact: His daughter is married to Andrew Lincoln (aka Rick from The Walking Dead). 

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 08:48 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Post the most underrated band/musician.
Try to keep it to those who are at least somewhat known to the general public.

Blind guardian..  If they are unknown that just speaks to them being underrated.

Amon Amarth

Deth Klok
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 08:48 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Post the most underrated band/musician.
Try to keep it to those who are at least somewhat known to the general public.

I will say it again...

David Gilmour.

I still talk to older hippy types that swear Pink Floyd is their favorite band.

Yet they do not know that Gilmour is the guy who sings pretty much the entire Dark Side of the Moon album.

Great guitarist and great vocalist, very rare.

Triumph's lead guitarist/singer is great as well. So underrated i keep forgetting his name.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 08:03 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I recently recommend 90s Flecktones to someone asking me for other stuff that they would like based on their love of "Journey of the Sorcerer" by The Eagles. 

Speaking of The Eagles, are people aware they somewhat lifted the structure for Hotel California from Jethro Tull? Listen for yourself:

Tull is pretty underrated in the US considering how large a contribution they've made. 

Also, random Ian Anderson fact: His daughter is married to Andrew Lincoln (aka Rick from The Walking Dead). 

Awesome, love Tull. They are very underrated and i didn't know that about Ian's daughter.

That is cool stuff BF, major reps. Rock On
Reply/Quote