Poll: most dissapointing playoff loss under Marvin Lewis?
This poll is closed.
2005 vs Steelers
20.73%
17 20.73%
2009 vs Jets
7.32%
6 7.32%
2011 @ Texans
1.22%
1 1.22%
2012 @ Texans
2.44%
2 2.44%
2013 vs Chargers
67.07%
55 67.07%
2014 @ Colts
1.22%
1 1.22%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most dissapointing playoff loss under marvin
(05-23-2015, 03:21 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: With the ***** bull shit that idiot Marvin Lewis has put us through, I'm goddamned surprised that people can even manage to be disappointed when he shits the bed yet again, year after year. The most disappointing I guess would be the Steelers game because once that moron Palmer broke his arm and became The Wet Noodle, we were doomed to repeated failure prior to drafting The Red Musket who will also never win us a ***** playoff game. I for one am ***** enraged that this team is such a piece of shit.

A perfect example of why some censorship is not always a bad thing......... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 03:21 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: With the ***** bull shit that idiot Marvin Lewis has put us through, I'm goddamned surprised that people can even manage to be disappointed when he shits the bed yet again, year after year. The most disappointing I guess would be the Steelers game because once that moron Palmer broke his arm and became The Wet Noodle, we were doomed to repeated failure prior to drafting The Red Musket who will also never win us a ***** playoff game. I for one am ***** enraged that this team is such a piece of shit.

That was like a 2 Live Crew song or something.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I must say I cannot believe that the SDC is beating the PIT game 4 to 1. Hell a regular season loss the the Steelers is almost as bad a playoff loss the a West Coast AFC team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Chargers - No reason we should've lost this game. We were favored at home over a team we'd run all over in San Diego. Gio's fumble, Andy's 2nd half meltdown and a suddenly inept defense were all culprits. We abandoned the run too quickly as well.

2. Steelers - Obvious reasons.

3. Texans 2.0 - This is the only game where the defense was even semi-decent, but the offense didn't show up. Jay decided to feature Gresh over AJ in the first half, which was facepalm worthy. The run game was practically ignored in a close game. Andy overthrew AJ for the win.

4. Colts - This game just felt more like the Bengals playng poorly than the Colts playing well. 3rd string RB Boom Herron gashed our defense for 140+ yards from scrimmage. Luck threw for 376 on our supposedly elite secondary. We didn't run well enough to stick with it. Dalton actually wasn't terrible despite missing pretty much every good receiver on the roster. This loss wasn't on him.

5. Jets - My hopes were down after the Jets manhandled us in regular season. Sure some people think our starters weren't trying, but I don't buy it. Still, it was disappointing to see the team waste a heroic effort from CedBen. Palmer was horrible. Chad was on Revis island. The defense laid a huge egg, getting owned by Sanchez and Shonn Greene of all people. Shayne went 0-2, but we probably would've lost even with the FG's.

6. Texans 1.0 - Even the least disappointing loss was still disappointing. Simply for the fact that we got beat by the Texans' 3rd string QB (TJ Yates). To this day, Yates has been dreadful in every game he's played in...except for his 2 starts against the Bengals, where he was exceptional in both. Even terrible players look good against us in the playoffs. It's ridiculous. Dalton threw 3 INT's, but as a rookie facing Watt on the road, most of us didn't expect much. Still disappointing though.

I think I agree with you completely on this.

I want to put the Jets game higher up but only for personal reasons. I went to that game. It was my first NFL game. I drove through a snowstorm from Toronto to Buffalo at 3am before the plows were out. Flew from Buffalo to Kentucky (it was cheaper than flying out of Toronto...didn't expect the snowstorm). Despite the weather in Toronto it was actually colder in Cincinnati, which I wouldn't have minded but Ced was the only one who showed up for the Bengals. It was my girlfriend's birthday and by the fourth quarter she had that look on her face that said "It's my birthday, I'm freezing in Cincinnati and your team is losing". And on the flight home the airline lost our luggage. Had a couple of fun nights in Cincinnati though. Met quite a few nice people.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I must say I cannot believe that the SDC is beating the PIT game 4 to 1. Hell a regular season loss the the Steelers is almost as bad a playoff loss the a West Coast AFC team.

Yeah kinda of surprised about that to.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 07:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Yeah kinda of surprised about that to.

I don't get it either. I was floored in 2005 because we waited SO long, had a legit QB after years of crap and had a really good chance of making a run. 2013 I went in saying "There is no reason the Bengals should lose this, other than they are the Bengals." Call me a jerk, but I was exceedingly unsurprised we lost in 2013.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 07:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Yeah kinda of surprised about that to.

(05-25-2015, 08:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't get it either.  I was floored in 2005 because we waited SO long, had a legit QB after years of crap and had a really good chance of making a run.  2013 I went in saying "There is no reason the Bengals should lose this, other than they are the Bengals."  Call me a jerk, but I was exceedingly unsurprised we lost in 2013.

I can only assume it is because a lot of the fan base is younger. I remember actually getting sick to my stomach when CP9 went down. Guy was the 3rd best QB in the NFL at the time; never again.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't get it either.  I was floored in 2005 because we waited SO long, had a legit QB after years of crap and had a really good chance of making a run.  2013 I went in saying "There is no reason the Bengals should lose this, other than they are the Bengals."  Call me a jerk, but I was exceedingly unsurprised we lost in 2013.

I can't speak for everyone, but here's some reasons why I voted for '13 over '05:

1. The 2005 disappointment was all about Carson's injury, which happened on the 2nd play of the game. After that, I pretty much expected us to lose.
2. In contrast, I was optimistic that we could beat SD until somewhere deep in the 3rd quarter.
3. The 2013 team was 8-0 at home, facing a team they'd beaten on the road.
4. The 2013 team had the best point differential in Bengals' history

2005 was obviously the biggest heart breaker of the 6, but it was for different reasons. Once Palmer went down, I wasn't really expecting to win.

The 2013 team was relatively healthy, and again...undefeated at home, facing a team they'd handled pretty convincingly in SD. That game is what made me come to the conclusion that Marvin Lewis will never win a playoff game. We were soundly beaten in a game we were favored to win, and all of the usual playoff problems occurred despite all these things we had going for us.

Edit: Fwiw, I almost voted for 2005, but there was only 1 huge disappointment in the Steelers game. The list of reasons to be disappointed with the Chargers game was by far the longest of all the playoff games though. That game just sucked the optimism out of me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only assume it is because a lot of the fan base is younger. I remember actually getting sick to my stomach when CP9 went down. Guy was the 3rd best QB in the NFL at the time; never again.

I'm soon to be 45...and for me, the Charger loss was far worse than the loss to the Steelers.

'05 was our 1st playoff shot under Marvin, CP gets injured, and the Steelers are always a tough out in the postseason.

The Charger loss was inexcusable. Absolutely no reason for it...none. While the '05 loss was very unfortunate...the Charger loss was incredibly disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only assume it is because a lot of the fan base is younger. I remember actually getting sick to my stomach when CP9 went down. Guy was the 3rd best QB in the NFL at the time; never again.

You got sick to your stomach over a football game? And you are how old?
Funny that you make comments about the younger generation, but also express how little you understand life's priorities.
Reply/Quote
I understand people saying the Steelers, they're a hated rival. But c'mon Carson was injured, was anyone expecting Kitna to be them?

I chose the Chargers, we were undefeated at home, we beat them in SD earlier in the year by running all over them. We decided(again) to abandon the run game. We went into halftime with a lead! We then imploded. That's easily the most heartbreaking loss for me.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:45 PM)Bryan Wrote: I understand people saying the Steelers, they're a hated rival. But c'mon Carson was injured, was anyone expecting Kitna to be them?

Once the injury hapened, no, I did not expect the Bengals to win. But, we didn't spend the weeks between the Bengals winning the division and the playoff game contemplating what our chances were against the Steelers with Kitna at the helm. We were celebrating them finally, FINALLY, having broken through with a division title and playoff berth for the first time in forever, and a shot at some national redemption. So, it was the month's worth of expectations getting flushed that hurt the most for me, and much more than the SD game given it came at the hands of the Steelers.

Hell, by '13 the Bengals dropping a playoff game, be it at home or against SD or whatever was, sadly, old hat and not entirely unexpected with Marvin and Andy at the controls.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I must say I cannot believe that the SDC is beating the PIT game 4 to 1. Hell a regular season loss the the Steelers is almost as bad a playoff loss the a West Coast AFC team.

You do understand that Marvin Lewis can't beat the Steelers don't you ? The Steelers regularly take Marvin out behind the woodshed and spank his little bottom blue !

Marvin's record against them is 7 - 18, the Steelers have swept Marvin Lewis lead teams in 6 of his 12 seasons ! Marvin has a grand total of 2 wins at PBS against the Steelers. And in fact has only one win against them in a season in which they made the playoffs - 05.

We're very used to regular season losses against the Steelers !
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:38 PM)Harmening Wrote: You got sick to your stomach over a football game?  And you are how old?  
Funny that you make comments about the younger generation, but also express how little you understand life's priorities.

yes I got sick to my stomach. A young man that is one of the best in his chosen profession is on the ground with his knee shredded and has taken with him the hopes of a whole fanbase.

How only would you suggest someone have to be to not get a sick feeling about this?

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:38 PM)Harmening Wrote: You got sick to your stomach over a football game?  And you are how old?  

Any Bengal fan who followed the team for any time during the 90's would have been sick to their stomach. This was our first playoff game in 15 years, and the Bengals were viewed, fairly or unfairly, as a championship level team with an elite QB. To see that evaporate at the hands of the Steelers was pretty disheartening.
Reply/Quote
Steelers loss hands down. We were unstoppable that year and very well could of had a Superbowl title.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 05:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Definitely the Chargers.

We were the superior team in every way.

We weren't ravaged by injuries like 2014, we didn't lose our QB like in 2005, we weren't cardiac kids who probably didn't belong in the playoffs like in 2009 and we weren't starting a rookie QB, WR and several young players at key positions like 2011.

2012 was also pretty disappointing, but not compared to 2013.

We were at home, we had a lead at half time, we were favored going in and we had already beaten them in San Diego that same year.

A few bad decisions/fumbles were the difference between winning and losing.

By far the most disappointing playoff loss in Lewis' tenure.

this game for the very same reason. We came out in 2nd half, got punched in the mouth and then folded up the rest of the game
Reply/Quote
It's hard to not vote for the Steelers game. That Bengals team had a great year and this would have been a HUGE win vs a heated rival. What trumps all the games is Kimo's disgusting alteration of Carson's Bengal career. Life goes on, but if you're asking about dissapointing, that's it.

I get the votes for the SD game, they walked in as the favorite and acted like they didn't belong. If you're talking about one play, it's the Texans game from 2012. I think AJ had a shot on a deep ball that could have given them the lead late but it was out of reach. I thought that one would have more votes.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 10:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: yes I got sick to my stomach. A young man that is one of the best in his chosen profession is on the ground with his knee shredded and has taken with him the hopes of a whole fanbase.

How only would you suggest someone have to be to not get a sick feeling about this?

Old enough to not take a game so seriously that it would make you sick to your stomach, regardless of who is injured, or what the score is.

I've seen injuries that made me queezy, but that's because they were gross looking.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 11:10 PM)DaltontoKroftSBchamps Wrote: Any Bengal fan who followed the team for any time during the 90's would have been sick to their stomach.  This was our first playoff game in 15 years, and the Bengals were viewed, fairly or unfairly, as a championship level team with an elite QB.  To see that evaporate at the hands of the Steelers was pretty disheartening.

I was disappointed, for sure, but definitely not sick to my stomach. Unless that phrase is just hyperbole.
Reply/Quote