Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most impressive AFCN teams Week 3
(09-27-2015, 07:25 PM)Blutarsky Wrote: Now that sounds about right!

I wonder where Ben's leg will fall in the power rankings.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Based off the debate in last week's rankings I think you have to go:

1) Steelers - Win on the road while losing your starting QB against a team with a win.

2) Bengals - Win on the road against a team without a win. (As was stated in the previous thread, last season and history is irrelevant, the Ravens are a bad team without a win.)

3) Ravens - Stuck around against an undefeated team, so they get a small bump up over the Browns.

4) Browns - Lost to a 2-1 team, not as good as losing to an undefeated team.

Note, I don't believe the above to be accurate at all, but based off the previous arguements about last season not being a factor for the week, had to toss it out there.

The difference to me is the Bengals played a division rival. Everyone knows that records are not as important in division games due to familiarity with each other. Bengals beat this division rival at their house, when they were desperate for a win, and came back from behind twice in the 4th quarter to do so. Much more convincing win than the steelers.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Based off the debate in last week's rankings I think you have to go:

1) Steelers - Win on the road while losing your starting QB against a team with a win.

2) Bengals - Win on the road against a team without a win. (As was stated in the previous thread, last season and history is irrelevant, the Ravens are a bad team without a win.)

3) Ravens - Stuck around against an undefeated team, so they get a small bump up over the Browns.

4) Browns - Lost to a 2-1 team, not as good as losing to an undefeated team.

Note, I don't believe the above to be accurate at all, but based off the previous arguements about last season not being a factor for the week, had to toss it out there.

BmorePat ? Is this you ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals
Steelers
Ravens
Browns

Win in Bmore is tougher than a win in St Louis. Ravens probably played better than the Steelers but a win trumps a loss. Ravens are 3 plays from being 3-0, so the fact that they were in this game gives them the edge over Cleveland
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ravens are 3 plays from being 3-0

This is the same kind of crap Bengals fans were saying a month into the 2010 season. It's also what all fans of any losing team ever say.

Take it from somebody who knows. Stick a fork in your Ravens. Don't cling to such bad logic, it'll only make it worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Bengals
Steelers
Ravens
Browns

Win in Bmore is tougher than a win in St Louis. Ravens probably played better than the Steelers but a win trumps a loss. Ravens are 3 plays from being 3-0, so the fact that they were in this game gives them the edge over Cleveland

I gave the Ravens the nod over the Steelers for playing the best team in the AFCN close, well Steve Smith did.  It was a hell of game.  I can't even recall how many times I was screaming at my TV.  :)
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:35 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: This is the same kind of crap Bengals fans were saying a month into the 2010 season. It's also what all fans of any losing team ever say.

Take it from somebody who knows. Stick a fork in your Ravens. Don't cling to such bad logic, it'll only make it worse.

Really more of a "at least they're playing close" not "we should have won" thing. When you're comparing them to how the Browns played, it's relevant.

They flat out suck right now. I've already said it.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:36 PM)Bengaldor Wrote: I gave the Ravens the nod over the Steelers for playing the best team in the AFCN close.  It was a hell of game.  I can't even recall how many times I was screaming at my TV.  :)

Definitely a good 4th quarter, but a win trumps a loss in my opinion. They played good enough to win, the Ravens didn't.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:35 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: This is the same kind of crap Bengals fans were saying a month into the 2010 season. It's also what all fans of any losing team ever say.

I have to agree with you there.  If I recall the 2010 Bengals lost a lot of games by 1 score or less and the Super Bowl winning Packers won a lot of games by similarly small margins. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Bengals
Steelers
Ravens
Browns

You're 25th in defense giving up 28 points and 375 yards a game, if not for a Broncos team still ironing out the O it would undoubtedly be worse.

You could/should have lost today by 10 or more.

If Big Ben isn't out you may well be in the running for the worst defense in the league next week. Your offensive hopes are pinned on an ancient receiver, can he hold up all season ?

Way to stretch
Reply/Quote
Teams can't mismanage the cap and expect good results

As I have stated over and over, you keep letting guys walk because you can't pay them, and then eventually it rears its ugly head.

The Ravens defense i in trouble in 2015

On a positive note, Steve Smith schooled our secondary today so that was a plus for the Ravens
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to agree with you there.  If I recall the 2010 Bengals lost a lot of games by 1 score or less and the Super Bowl winning Packers won a lot of games by similarly small margins. 

It's a close league. Very seldom are there big blowouts anymore due to all of the rules put in place to promote parity. Good teams make up for bad calls and mistakes; bad teams don't and sulk over how close they were.

Hate to invoke Marvin here, but it's appropriate... "The team that makes the most plays wins".
Reply/Quote
According to Spotrac Flacco's contract:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/

Flacco's cap hit this year is 14.5 million. Next year it gets nuts at 28.5 million.

That said, they also have an astronomical 21 million in dead cap money. So it is not Flacco alone creating their issues it is Flacco PLUS the huge dead cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 11:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: According to Spotrac Flacco's contract:

Flacco's cap hit this year is 14.5 million. Next year it gets nuts at 28.5 million.

That said, they also have an astronomical 21 million in dead cap money. So it is not Flacco alone creating their issues it is Flacco PLUS the huge dead cap hit.

Wow that's insane. He will be getting paid over a million dollars for every touchdown he throws.
Reply/Quote
And they have very limited space to redo his contract too. Of that 28.5 million 2016 hit 10.5 million is prorated bonuses already paid out. So that hit is there no matter what. They would literally need Flacco to do a revised contract with lower numbers to get any cap relief.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 12:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: And they have very limited space to redo his contract too. Of that 28.5 million 2016 hit 10.5 million is prorated bonuses already paid out. So that hit is there no matter what. They would literally need Flacco to do a revised contract with lower numbers to get any cap relief.

They will easily restructure his contract. And i bet they negotiate with that dead money dude too. Don't believe me? Just ask any Ravens fan here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Dead money is not negotiable. And Flacco would need to agree to a deal where he gets no signing bonus and rolls salary off to future years. He might do it - time will tell. Otherwise the Rats are headed to a salary cap apocalypse. One can tell they did this deal hoping on a giant jump in the cap, so if it doesn't happen the 2016 Rats could basically consist of Joe Flacco and scrubs.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 11:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: According to Spotrac Flacco's contract:

Yea, they did a good job backloading it so that it didn't affect in the first 3 years them as much as other QB contracts have hurt teams. They'll obviously go and restructure it as his agent suggested when they signed the contract in 2013.

Look at the 7 QBs who make more money than he does. Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, Eli, Newton, Rivers, and Ryan all hit their team for more in the first year of the contract than Flacco has in the first 3 years of his. His 4th and 5th year shoot up to about $5-8m more than those contracts, but they got the savings in the first few years to sign other players. Anyone who thinks Flacco's contract has adversely affected this team or is the reason they didn't sign Boldin, T Smith, or any departing defensive player doesn't understand his contract.

The dead cap is killing them. They decided the Ray Rice dead cap hit was worth not taking the PR hit. That's $9.5m right there. 

Reply/Quote
I agree (as noted in my post). Is Flacco's deal a potential bomb in the detonating? Yes. But the biggest issue is dead cap because it means they don't have the needed flexibility to convert salary to signing bonus. They'll have to do a deal where he does get a big bonus, but the bonus does not pay out until the Rice money comes off the books.
Reply/Quote
Bengals

Steelers

And thats about all there is to be impressed with at the moment.
Reply/Quote