Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Most influential "outsider" in team history?
How could it not be Joe Montana?

And Jerry Rice had a role, too -- and he unveiled a hidden motivation to wanting to play well in SB XXIII -- and he was on the Bengals' sideline:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/30/cincinnati-bengals-50-joe-montana-and-jerry-rice/366614001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I was thinking you could make a case for Bill Walsh, but I guess he is more of an "inside outsider."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Rice's motivation.......ANOTHER bite in a LONG line of Bengals' snakebites! Sad

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
@xxlt - you're right about that. Got to Walsh today. We included him as an organizational guy since he started with the Bengals and invented the "west coast" offense in Cincinnati. Bedinghaus was an outsider when he had the stadium deal done. So it's semantics, in a way, but important ones we thought.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
How could it not be Art Modell?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 08:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How could it not be Art Modell?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Reply/Quote
God, I just want to cry after reading that.  To this day, I still hate that franchise.   secretly, deep down I relish the Colin Kapernick drama there. That ass-hat franchise deserves that kind of notoriety after the 80's and early 90's. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
@oncemoreuntothejim @SHRacerX – Art Modell. Totally fair.
Reply/Quote
Kimo von Oelhoffen.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 05:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Didn't Kimo play in Cincy for a year or two?  Wasn't he drafted by the Bengals?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 02:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Didn't Kimo play in Cincy for a year or two?  Wasn't he drafted by the Bengals?

Yes. 6th round pick. He played here for 5 seasons. He was a D2 coach a couple of years ago. Not sure what he's up to now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The reason I say Art Modell is that if he didn't fire Paul Brown as coach, Paul Brown most likely wouldn't have founded the Bengals in Cincinnati. The firing is the reason why Brown picked Cincinnat, to stay in state. The name Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns; both CB. The old baseball hats for the fans just had "CB" on them. The colors orange and black instead of orange and brown. The 70s uniforms are very similar.

Much of the stuff Paul Brown did was to F with Art Modell. Paul Brown was punking Art Modell decades before Punked entered the American lexicon.

Jim, maybe you could interview veteran players who played under Paul Brown to get stories about the Brown/Modell rivalry. I would be interested to read stories from Cleveland Browns players on the receiving end as well.

If schadenfruede was a Madden rating, Paul's rating would be 99.
Reply/Quote
Hines Ward and Ben Roethlesberger get my vote.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote