Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most penalties on OL - Alex Redmond
[Image: Shocked-gif.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, but... We're only like three starters away from having a decent line.

Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
stop it alex!
Reply/Quote
I used to think Redmond was the worst starting guard in the NFL and was happy when we cut him.

Then I saw who they played in his place.

Hopefully XSF comes back after the bye and makes the position something other than a blight on the field.
Reply/Quote
Callahan on Redmond:

“Alex gives us some physicality. He plays hard. He knows what to do. He's a lot bigger than I think he is sometimes. He's a big (6-5, 320 pounds) solid strong guy at the point of attack.”

Why is this coaching staff obsessed over Redmond because he’s big and strong? Go find me an NFL Olineman who isn’t big and strong. I’d rather they talked about how he doesn’t give up sacks, pressures, hits or penalties, but they can’t obviously.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 10:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Callahan on Redmond:

“Alex gives us some physicality. He plays hard. He knows what to do. He's a lot bigger than I think he is sometimes. He's a big (6-5, 320 pounds) solid strong guy at the point of attack.”

Why is this coaching staff obsessed over Redmond because he’s big and strong? Go find me an NFL Olineman who isn’t big and strong. I’d rather they talked about how he doesn’t give up sacks, pressures, hits or penalties, but they can’t obviously.

Strange isn't it ? "yep he looks like a big tough guy so who cares that he can't block and is a penalty machine"
Reply/Quote

I feel like that’s the answer when you really have nothing backing why you like the guy.

Excuse me, sir, why do you like that plate of food? Well, it’s edible and digestible, I sometimes forget I can eat things and this food is something I am able to swallow.
Reply/Quote

Same shit we used to hear about Bodine.

Reply/Quote

First let me start by saying Redman blows. However I do think we are lacking big strong people movers. I want linemen that look like they have a bucket of kfc in one hand and a case of Budweiser in the other. The oversized tight end look with interior linemen never goes well. Get those 330lb beer bellys in there moving people around. I want linemen build like Big Willy.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:13 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: First let me start by saying Redman blows. However I do think we are lacking big strong people movers. I want linemen that look like they have a bucket of kfc in one hand and a case of Budweiser in the other. The oversized tight end look with interior linemen never goes well. Get those 330lb beer bellys in there moving people around. I want linemen build like Big Willy.

True,that's why andrew whitworth was so good,hes an absolute giant. 
Reply/Quote
The thing with the bengals,we arent the Steelers or patriots or any other good team in the league that they let hold all game long. Redmond would probably be all pro with the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:37 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: True,that's why andrew whitworth was so good,hes an absolute giant. 

Eh, it takes a lot more than just size. Fred Johnson and Michael Jordan are both huge, and both suck.

Reply/Quote

I think it's fair to say this coaching staff wish they were talking about a lineman who didn't give up sacks, pressures, hits or penalties which is probably why they cut Redmond in the first place. Sadly they were forced to go back to him because Fred Johnson and Billy Price are even worse. I'm pretty certain that they'll move on from him again this off-season but in the meantime it probably doesn't make much sense to trash a starting player. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:38 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: The thing with the bengals,we arent the Steelers or patriots or any other good team in the league that they let hold all game long. Redmond would probably be all pro with the Steelers.

That is an excellent point, coaching makes all the difference.  A great example of that are a pair of Guards that are currently available, Josh Kline and Quinton Spain.  Both had stellar PFF ratings in their years with the Titans OL, and since moving on in free agency, both have seen their status' drop to the point of becoming unemployed for not seen as being worth their contract with their respective organizations.

It's been touched on many times over on these boards that nearly ALL players that make it to the NFL have the basic skill and talent to compete, it's the teams with good coaching that develop their players and poorly coached teams that these players wash out in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:38 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: The thing with the bengals,we arent the Steelers or patriots or any other good team in the league that they let hold all game long. Redmond would probably be all pro with the Steelers.

So why didn't the Steelers claim him when he was a free agent weeks 1-3?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:13 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: First let me start by saying Redman blows. However I do think we are lacking big strong people movers. I want linemen that look like they have a bucket of kfc in one hand and a case of Budweiser in the other. The oversized tight end look with interior linemen never goes well. Get those 330lb beer bellys in there moving people around. I want linemen build like Big Willy.

By people-movers, do you mean in the run game?
The Bengals pass blocking scheme doesn't have OL driving off the ball when defending the pass, and this team is more pass-oriented than run-oriented.

If the team actually becomes more run-oriented, I would understand. Redmond is the second highest run blocker on the OL at 66.7 according to PFF. Williams and Jordan are also above 60. Hopkins is at 54.4.
Right now though, the Bengals only run the ball 37.8% of the time.
But part of the reason for that is that Mixon and Bernard are both under 4.0 YPC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: By people-movers, do you mean in the run game?
The Bengals pass blocking scheme doesn't have OL driving off the ball when defending the pass, and this team is more pass-oriented than run-oriented.

If the team actually becomes more run-oriented, I would understand. Redmond is the second highest run blocker on the OL at 66.7 according to PFF. Williams and Jordan are also above 60. Hopkins is at 54.4.
Right now though, the Bengals only run the ball 37.8% of the time.
But part of the reason for that is that Mixon and Bernard are both under 4.0 YPC.
I hear what your saying and agree with yourr thoughts. My point I was trying to make is it seems in both the run and passing game we do not anchor well. The 6'6 and 6-7 athletic build interior type just cant get the leverage and get man handled.
Reply/Quote

And water is wet.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:40 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I hear what your saying and agree with yourr thoughts. My point I was trying to make is it seems in both the run and passing game we do not anchor well. The 6'6 and 6-7 athletic build interior type just cant get the leverage and get man handled.

A big guy like Redmond may have more weight to anchor, but defenders are getting right by him on passing plays.
He has a 34.8 PFF score when pass blocking. That's Price-level bad.
He doesn't seem athletic enough to keep in front of them.

I definitely think you're right on the height part though. 6'5" or taller OL are going to have a tougher time getting leverage on guys who are 6'3", which quite a few IDL guys are.

If the Bengals don't address OG in FA, Wyatt Davis may be a perfect fit in the draft if they are looking for a long-term starter. But they would need to be ready to pay him elite OG money once his rookie contract is up if he lives up to his draft status (best OG to come out since Quenton Nelson).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A big guy like Redmond may have more weight to anchor, but defenders are getting right by him on passing plays.
He has a 34.8 PFF score when pass blocking. That's Price-level bad.
He doesn't seem athletic enough to keep in front of them.

I definitely think you're right on the height part though. 6'5" or taller OL are going to have a tougher time getting leverage on guys who are 6'3", which quite a few IDL guys are.

If the Bengals don't address OG in FA, Wyatt Davis may be a perfect fit in the draft if they are looking for a long-term starter. But they would need to be ready to pay him elite OG money once his rookie contract is up if he lives up to his draft status (best OG to come out since Quenton Nelson).
Agree with you. Draft a guy then value it enough to pay him. And I for sure was not trying to defend Redmond by any means. That guys blows. I think we all agree with that.
Reply/Quote