Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underappreciated Bengal: Trey Hendrickson
I feel like this guy is every bit as impactful as Geno Atkins was and better overall than Carlos Dunlap, yet we barely talk about him.

28 sacks in 36 games as a Bengal. An average of 12.4 sacks per 16 games. This season, he has 6 sacks and 7 QB hits in only 5 games.

Is it that he wasn't drafted by the Bengals? Or that Joe and Chase take so much of the focus? I feel like we've had some guys on defense that are or should be stars, but they're pretty much afterthoughts. Logan Wilson is another. DJ Reader. Etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think it’s because for so long we ran him into the ground that he would tail off at the end of games and his sack numbers while pro bowl worthy never got to “best pass rusher” territory. He has 6 sacks so far in 5 games and it should be around 9 if he didn’t get some called back for penalty. To me that makes him in the category right below Myles and Michah.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think it happens because the big stars are on offense plus the defense has had some terrible stretches which makes individual excellence less apparent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think he's on the same level as Geno just because it's much harder to get penetration from the 3 technique than it is from the end position and Geno was one of the best, if not the best, 3 technique in the league.

I do like what he's doing and have been impressed by his play.

If our line plays as well as it did on Sunday all year, I think Hendrickson will put up big numbers because teams will have to throw more to keep up.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel like this guy is every bit as impactful as Geno Atkins was and better overall than Carlos Dunlap, yet we barely talk about him.

28 sacks in 36 games as a Bengal. An average of 12.4 sacks per 16 games. This season, he has 6 sacks and 7 QB hits in only 5 games.

Is it that he wasn't drafted by the Bengals? Or that Joe and Chase take so much of the focus? I feel like we've had some guys on defense that are or should be stars, but they're pretty much afterthoughts. Logan Wilson is another. DJ Reader. Etc.

Hard not to love Tre

Classy player too

Not big mouth diva either

Just plain brings it time and time again.

I don’t think he gets the attn he deserves bc he is so reserved and doesn’t look very intimidating (as most of these beasts typically do).

He is just a quiet BEAST. Geno didn’t get attn for many of the same reasons.

Just showed up, produced and called it a day w o wanting much attn at all.

My fav kind of players = talent & class
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 04:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think he's on the same level as Geno just because it's much harder to get penetration from the 3 technique than it is from the end position and Geno was one of the best, if not the best, 3 technique in the league.

I do like what he's doing and have been impressed by his play.

If our line plays as well as it did on Sunday all year, I think Hendrickson will put up big numbers because teams will have to throw more to keep up.

I just said that Trey is as impactful. I understand that Geno was likely (slightly) better at his position than Trey is at his.

But just looking at impact, I don't see much difference.

(10-10-2023, 04:11 PM)Whacked Wrote: Hard not to love Tre

Classy player too

Not big mouth diva either  

Just plain brings it time and time again.

I don’t think he gets the attn he deserves bc he is so reserved and doesn’t look very intimidating (as most of these beasts typically do).

He is just a quiet BEAST. Geno didn’t get attn for many of the same reasons.

Just showed up, produced and called it a day w o wanting much attn at all.

My fav kind of players = talent & class

True. Both quiet, classy and professional. I barely heard Geno speak while he was a Bengal. Imo, he should be in consideration for the HOF.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 04:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I just said that Trey is as impactful. I understand that Geno was likely (slightly) better at his position than Trey is at his.

True. Both quiet, classy and professional. I barely heard Geno speak while he was a Bengal. Imo, he should be in consideration for the HOF.

Getting the kind of pressure from the 3-technique that Geno did would be difficult for any end to match in terms of difference made just because it's not a common thing and is tougher to defend.

I get what you're saying though because Trey has meant a lot for this defense but I just think making a difference from Geno's spot makes it that much more impactful.
Reply/Quote
Right now Trey IS the pass rush outside of sending a safety or other such pretty much. We NEED interior pass rush to step up or in offseason that has to be priority #1.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel like this guy is every bit as impactful as Geno Atkins was and better overall than Carlos Dunlap, yet we barely talk about him.

No doubt. Trey is underappreciated alright, he is an elite pass rusher and is showing it once again. Heard he is now only behind Twatt 
for the league lead in Sacks which is crazy when you think about how the season started and how much he gets held. No gloves, no 
problem, he has some of the best hands in the league and for a Bengal pass rusher ever. When Trey is healthy and determined to get
to the QB, there is not a LT in the NFL that can stop him for an entire game, no way.

He is already a Bengal great. Honestly wish we could of extended him for more than just another year after this one.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel like this guy is every bit as impactful as Geno Atkins was and better overall than Carlos Dunlap, yet we barely talk about him.

You know how it goes around here, casual fans only appreciate the offensive weapons.  In fact there were several on here whining around about how the team giving Trey his much deserved contract extension was taking money away from a potential Tee Higgins contract.  Thus far this season, Hendrickson has certainly proven that he was worth every penny of that extra money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I remember the debates about whether Bengals should have kept Lawson over Hendrickson.
Argument was Lawson was getting a lot of pressure and just unlucky closing the deal.
Meanwhile, Hendrickson had one good year with a ton of sacks but about the same number of pressures as Lawson, plus he had Jordan on the opposite side taking the focus.

I'll own up that I was one of the ones that was somewhat skeptical if Hendrickson was going to sustain his double-digit sacks and is Lawson actually about as good.
Lawson did put up 7 sacks last year with the Jets, which is right there in the Sam Hubbard range.
But Hendrickson is undoubtedly the better of the two and the Bengals made the right choice letting Lawson walk in favor of Hendrickson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 04:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I just said that Trey is as impactful. I understand that Geno was likely (slightly) better at his position than Trey is at his.

Geno was better and its really not debatable. Geno top 1-3 DT for like 5 years. Trey is top 10 but never been close to considered the best DE in the game. 

I really like Trey and he's a great relentless pass rusher. But he is a liability in the run game which can't be ignored. I would say he's a bit better than Dunlap at rushing the passer but worse to stopping the run. I would take Trey over Dunlap though. 
Reply/Quote
Would take Trey over Dumblap every day of the week, but Geno is a different story. Would have been nice to have Geno and Trey in their prime side by side.

Anyway, the Bengals hit the absolute jackpot when signing Hendrickson, super high motor guy on pass plays. Gets washed out at times on run plays, still got to love him though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Lost me at saying he's every bit as impactful as a future Hall of Famer, Shake. Atkins wasn't just a beast as a pass rushing DT, but he also was great against the run. There's a reason why Atkins was an All-Pro. There's a reason why Atkins is a HoF All-Decade Teamer.

- - - - - - -

I also disagree with being overall better than Dunlap as well. Hendrickson plays 2/3rds of the snaps, Dunlap played 4/5ths of the snaps. Dunlap had to be on the field more, playing the run more and having to dedicate energy towards it. It's a difference between playing 840-940 defensive snaps in a year to Hendrickson's 630-720.

Dunlap's 2 Consecutive Pro Bowl Years: 21.5 Sacks, 5 FF, 16 Pdef, 23 TFL, 57 QB Hits
Hendrickson's 2 Consecutive Pro Bowl Years: 22.0 Sacks, 6 FF, 3 Pdef, 18 TFL, 51 QB Hits

Hendrickson is very very good rushing the passer. He is not good against the run, so they put him on the field for about 15% less snaps to avoid over-exposing him against the run. Can't see how you can call a guy "better overall" if half of his game isn't good.

- - - - - - - -

We can celebrate Hendrickson being very good at football and a difference maker on the field, but he's not a HoF difference maker like Atkins and while I think he's a better pass rusher right now than Dunlap was, I don't think I could agree with being better overall. I will not abide any Atkins slander. Lol

I also think Hendrickson isn't underappreciated. He gets plenty of love from both fans and the FO who gave him an extension to give him some more cash earnings in 2023 even though he wasn't in his final year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 07:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ****

I also think Hendrickson isn't underappreciated. He gets plenty of love from both fans and the FO who gave him an extension to give him some more cash earnings in 2023 even though he wasn't in his final year.

I would add that he regularly makes the list of top 100 players. In 2022, he was rated #78 in a Sports Illustrated list. in a 2023 rating, he was rated #75. In a 2021 list by NFL Network, he was rated 73rd. 

Given that not that many Bengals were rated in the top 100 each year, I think he is recognized and appreciated around the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 07:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I also think Hendrickson isn't underappreciated. He gets plenty of love from both fans and the FO who gave him an extension to give him some more cash earnings in 2023 even though he wasn't in his final year.

(10-10-2023, 07:46 PM)Nepa Wrote: I would add that he regularly makes the list of top 100 players. In 2022, he was rated #78 in a Sports Illustrated list. in a 2023 rating, he was rated #75. In a 2021 list by NFL Network, he was rated 73rd. 

Given that not that many Bengals were rated in the top 100 each year, I think he is recognized and appreciated around the league.

Agree with both of you. Trey is not under appreciated. If anyone on this defense is it’s always been Reader.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember the debates about whether Bengals should have kept Lawson over Hendrickson.
Argument was Lawson was getting a lot of pressure and just unlucky closing the deal.
Meanwhile, Hendrickson had one good year with a ton of sacks but about the same number of pressures as Lawson, plus he had Jordan on the opposite side taking the focus.

I'll own up that I was one of the ones that was somewhat skeptical if Hendrickson was going to sustain his double-digit sacks and is Lawson actually about as good.
Lawson did put up 7 sacks last year with the Jets, which is right there in the Sam Hubbard range.
But Hendrickson is undoubtedly the better of the two and the Bengals made the right choice letting Lawson walk in favor of Hendrickson.

I wouldn't say Hendricks is better than Hubbard at DE. To me it's a wash, depends what you want. Hubbard is the better run stopper, better tackler, doesn't over pursue. Hendricks is better at pass rushing.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 10:16 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I wouldn't say Hendricks is better than Hubbard at DE. To me it's a wash, depends what you want. Hubbard is the better run stopper, better tackler, doesn't over pursue. Hendricks is better at pass rushing.

Trey’s paycheck says he’s better. Wink

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 09:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agree with both of you. Trey is not under appreciated. If anyone on this defense is it’s always been Reader.

That's funny because I think Reader is actually a LITTLE bit overrated. He's been amazing (less so this year), but he's just simply not around enough as a Bengal.

His defensive snaps played as a Bengal...
2020: 24.43%
2021: 52.49%
2022: 39.32%
2023: 61.16% (incomplete, obviously)

As a Texan...
2016: 40.0% (didn't start the season as a starter)
2017: 51.37%
2018: 59.68%
2019: 57.66%

He's a game changer when he's on the field, but so was Tyler Eifert and Bob Sanders. Needs to stay healthy and stay on the field more, 2 IR trips in the previous 3 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 10:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's funny because I think Reader is actually a LITTLE bit overrated. He's been amazing (less so this year), but he's just simply not around enough as a Bengal.

He’s never made a Pro Bowl, he’s never made the top 100, and a lot of casual fans probably don’t even know who is he is. Despite being arguably our 3rd best player and the best on that side of the ball the last couple years.

I do agree he’s not been quite as good this season so far though.

Reply/Quote