Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underrated Bengal?
Jeff Query's mullet.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 12:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure about "unseating" Corey Dillon.  As I recall, CD left of his own free will, when Marvin announced that anyone that didn't want to be there was free to pursue other options.  However, Rudi did do a great job in place of CD.

He only unseated Dillon because CD was dealing with injuries in 2003. CD got Wally Pipped.

To those mentioning Pickens, how about his running mate Darnay Scott? Tbh, I think all of our good players from the 90's are underrated, thanks to all the losing. We wasted some fine talent over that decade. Blake, Pickens, Scott, Tony McGee, John Copeland, Dan Wilkinson, Daryl Williams, Alfred Williams, James Francis, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He only unseated Dillon because CD was dealing with injuries in 2003. CD got Wally Pipped.

To those mentioning Pickens, how about his running mate Darnay Scott? Tbh, I think all of our good players from the 90's are underrated, thanks to all the losing. We wasted some fine talent over that decade. Blake, Pickens, Scott, Tony McGee, John Copeland, Dan Wilkinson, Daryl Williams, Alfred Williams, James Francis, etc.

I saw Darnay in a Nelly video the other day...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:02 PM)jason Wrote: I saw Darnay in a Nelly video the other day...

Found him. So I guess he's been working on his 'fro game and karate skills since retiring. Good for him.

[Image: nelly-video-guys-in-jerseys.png]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Justin Smith?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:32 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ross, Holman and Trumpy are OVERRATED, if anything; I remember on the mothership, when I was new and fresh, I threw in Tony McGee's name (and the numbers back it up, not to mention he was thrown to by awful/mediocre QBs for his entire career) for best Bengals TE and everyone was creaming their pants over the above three names...

They were all (well, Trumpy not so much) the 3rd or fourth option for the team, so how can they be underrated, when their numbers fall inline with their role?

Third or fourth option??? You clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Ross. The guy rarely gets mentioned among Bengal greats, and make no mistake he was one. Like I said, he set a franchise record for most catches in a season with 77 in 1981. Obviously, that was later broken as the game evolved into more of a passing game, but he was hardly a 3rd or 4th option. That's ridiculous to even say. 3rd or 4th option sets franchise record for most receptions in a season?? Haha! He also had a huge Super Bowl with 11 catches, 104 yards and 2 TD. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 06:09 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Third or fourth option??? You clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Ross. The guy rarely gets mentioned among Bengal greats, and make no mistake he was one. Like I said, he set a franchise record for most catches in a season with 77 in 1981. Obviously, that was later broken as the game evolved into more of a passing game, but he was hardly a 3rd or 4th option. That's ridiculous to even say. 3rd or 4th option sets franchise record for most receptions in a season?? Haha! He also had a huge Super Bowl with 11 catches, 104 yards and 2 TD. 

You know you just proved my argument even more, right?

So his numbers fall in line with the first or second option of the team; excellent. Then, as I said, he's OVERRATED or rated where he should be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You know you just proved my argument even more, right?

So his numbers fall in line with the first or second option of the team; excellent. Then, as I said, he's OVERRATED or rated where he should be.

Do you understand what underrated means? It means players who produce but don't get the credit they deserve for that production. You actually proved how Ross was underrated by stating he was the 3rd or 4th option on a team when he actually led the team in receptions, and in fact set a franchise record at the time. His production far outweighed your perception of him. THAT is being underrated. I think you're confused LOL.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He only unseated Dillon because CD was dealing with injuries in 2003. CD got Wally Pipped.

Darnay is exactly who I thought of. Many fans were excited to see what he could do as a #1, but that injury put a stop to that. I thought he did a good job in 2001, but then he was replaced with Westbrook. Whatever
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dan Wilkinson,

Good pass rush numbers for an interior lineman.  Also played 3-4 DE.  Good career numbers (182 starts 55 sacks),

But a lot of people still think of him as a bust because he did not live up to the hype.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:32 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ross, Holman and Trumpy are OVERRATED, if anything; I remember on the mothership, when I was new and fresh, I threw in Tony McGee's name (and the numbers back it up, not to mention he was thrown to by awful/mediocre QBs for his entire career) for best Bengals TE and everyone was creaming their pants over the above three names...

They were all (well, Trumpy not so much) the 3rd or fourth option for the team, so how can they be underrated, when their numbers fall inline with their role?

The hell you say.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good pass rush numbers for an interior lineman.  Also played 3-4 DE.  Good career numbers (182 starts 55 sacks),

But a lot of people still think of him as a bust because he did not live up to the hype.

I would put Wilkinson up there among the most underrated. He was a really good to even great Dlineman but like you say never really completely lived up to all the hype let alone being the number 1 draft pick.

For those of you to young to remember "Big Daddy" was the talk of football for a year. People calling for him to win the Heisman Trophy, on the cover of every sports magazine, people calling him the best Dlineman ever !

And despite him being a top NFL DT he wasn't quite able to live up to the expectations. With all the hype people expected him to be a one man wrecking crew.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:04 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Darnay is exactly who I thought of. Many fans were excited to see what he could do as a #1, but that injury put a stop to that. I thought he did a good job in 2001, but then he was replaced with Westbrook. Whatever

Funny, I was thinking about that injury when I mentioned Darnay. He was supposed to break out as the lead dog that year. Instead we had to watch guys like Ron Dugans and Craig Yeast opposite PDub. I almost forgot about Westbrook. What a disappointment that was.

(03-06-2019, 02:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good pass rush numbers for an interior lineman.  Also played 3-4 DE.  Good career numbers (182 starts 55 sacks),

Justin Smith suffered from the same thing: high expectations. People were expecting 14 sack seasons, and when it didn't happen, they were viewed as busts...even though they were both fantastic players. Early in his career, Wilkinson had some Atkins-like seasons.
Reply/Quote
Still sticking with my guy Tommy. Him, Riley and Parrish.... what a backfield!!! And that blitz at 4:35.....wow. Hard to believe all 3 were offensive players in college.... from '72-'77 their unit was ranked 4th, 13th, 4th, 2nd, 3rd and 23rd in the NFL

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 01:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny, I was thinking about that injury when I mentioned Darnay. He was supposed to break out as the lead dog that year. Instead we had to watch guys like Ron Dugans and Craig Yeast opposite PDub. I almost forgot about Westbrook. What a disappointment that was.

Justin Smith suffered from the same thing: high expectations. People were expecting 14 sack seasons, and when it didn't happen, they were viewed as busts...even though they were both fantastic players. Early in his career, Wilkinson had some Atkins-like seasons.
yeah Darnay broke his leg in pre season and Mike Brown didnt even bother to bring any help in.
2001 opening day was the worst WR starting trio in NFL history.
Craig Yeast
Ron Dugans
Peter Warrick.
Reply/Quote

he was a bust Fred. no 2 ways about it.
number 1 overall pick in 1994 Draft.
guys that are drafted #1 overall are expected to be franchise changers and difference makers on the field.
Big Daddy did not impact the Bengals defenae ala Aaron Donald.
he put up good numbers if he was a mid range pick.
I found him to be lazy at times and took plays off.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: he was a bust Fred. no 2 ways about it.
number 1 overall pick in 1994 Draft.
guys that are drafted #1 overall are expected to be franchise changers and difference makers on the field.
Big Daddy did not impact the Bengals defenae ala Aaron Donald.
he put up good numbers if he was a mid range pick.
I found him to be lazy at times and took plays off.

All I judge a player by is his production and Wilkinson produced very well.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I judge a player by is his production and Wilkinson produced very well.

he had a 25 sacks in 4 seasons. he put up Wallace Gilberry type production.
at his size 6'4 335 he should have a 3 down force.
drawing double teams even from time to time.
he rarely saw him dominate.
Reply/Quote
Darnay Scott was pretty underrated in his own right. He wasn't a #1, but man did he work well with Pickens.
Reply/Quote
A random memory of the 90's but I remember we'd have a lot of #3 and #4 WR's who were fast but totally couldn't catch the ball. Does anyone else remember that?
Reply/Quote