Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Mostly) Post-FA Mock
I really do feel that with Trent Brown signing, we have pretty much come to a close for any more (impactful) FAs.
As such, it's time to address the draft.

1) Taliese Fuaga, RT Oregon St - Well rounded "glass eater" type that Pollack will like. Fuaga, I believe, is a plug-and-play RT. What's even better is with Trent Brown on the team, Fuaga can have a year to groom if he needs it.

2) Ja'Lynn Polk, WR Washington - Reliable, versatile WR who has good ball skills and about the same speed as Higgins. People may not recognize his name because he played opposite of Odunze. I love Polk as a guy to come in and either play the slot as a rookie or take over for Higgins in 2025.

3) McKinnley Jackson, NT Miss St - Big DT who is good at stuffing the run and commanding double teams. Ideally, I'd like to wait until 3rd round comp pick or 4th round to get him, but given the need, I don't mind reaching slightly to make sure to get about the only other NT I like other than Sweat.

3comp) Ben Sinnott, TE Kansas St - I really like his game tape, and Sinnott did well at the Combine to help alleviate doubts about his size and length. If Sinnott is gone, I would like either Theo Johnson or Cade Stover. I expect one of them to be here. Let one of these guys back up Gesicki this year before taking over as TE1 in 2025.

4) Elijah Jones, CB Boston College - One of the staples of the BC defense. Always good to add CB depth. I added someone who should be good in zone, has good ball skills, and the size, length, and speed to stay outside.

5) Trevor Keegan, OG Michigan - Seems like a Pollack guy. He could come in and push Volson for starting reps potentially or just serve as a backup for Volson and Cappa as a rookie. Either way, added depth replacing Scharping.

6) Kimani Vidal, RB Troy - Versatile RB who is plenty fast and agile while also being big enough to handle workhorse duties if ever needed. He's also quite a good receiver, evidenced by the 92 receptions he's had in college.

6-comp) Austin McNamara, P Texas Tech - Everyone seems to be on the Tory Taylor train, but I think I like McNamara more. Why, you may ask? McNamara has a good leg, but he worked to transition that into great hangtime while still having good distance. His best YPP was 48.2 in 2021, but in 2023 he really shined with still 46.3 YPP but only allowing returns on 18% of his punts, which was by the far the best among all punters who averaged >45 YPP.

7) Nick Gargiulo, IOL South Carolina - Bengals have quite a few OL set to hit FA next year, most of whom I have no interest to see back. So may as well take a flier on someone in a strong OL class and hope they make the bottom of the roster or the PS. Gargiulo is someone I think could, as he is extremely position-versatile. His best fit looks to be inside at either C or OG. He has a lot of traits that will appeal to Pollack.

7-HOU) Michael Barrett, LB Michigan - Depth for LB and I like what Barrett brings to the table as a backup LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we drafted Fuaga, with expectations that Trent Brown is the RT....could Fuaga then see time at guard?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:13 AM)Goalpost Wrote: If we drafted Fuaga, with expectations that Trent Brown is the RT....could Fuaga then see time at guard?

Maybe?
Although I would think Fuaga would have to really show to be head and shoulders above Volson to take his spot (assuming you meant Volson).
But seeing as how Pollack has given Volson two full years to start and Volson has gotten somewhat better over time, I don't personally think Volson will get supplanted by anyone barring injury.

I realize that with my draft picks, it could mean potentially that the first two picks do not play much their rookie season, but they were selected with the intent to take over as full-time starter in 2025 and be high quality depth initially.
About the only spots I could see having a potential rookie take over to start are NT and CB, of which I've addressed in the 3rd and 4th round.
But I did that because 1) I'm not ready to give up on Turner and Hill yet, and 2) You can get impactful immediate contributions from a drafted NT who is taken in the middle rounds. It's harder to get and groom a mid-round OT and even WR (at least to the caliber of Higgins).

If going purely on need for this season, I would take Sweat in Rd 1 and probably a CB like TJ Tampa in Rd 2.
There's not an OT I see after Rd 2 that I would feel could be groomed quick enough to take over in 2025 to start at RT after Brown departs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Really like this draft. Well done. I would consider iol as early as two depending on who’s there and go wr a bit later but still, nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:36 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Really like this draft.  Well done.  I would consider iol as early as two depending on who’s there and go wr a bit later but still, nice job

That's fair with Karras in final year under contract as well as Higgins.
I just really like the 2nd round WR options so jumped at one.
If looking at IOL on Day 3, I'd love to see Beebe, Mahogany, Frazier, or Van Pran added.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I really do feel that with Trent Brown signing, we have pretty much come to a close for any more (impactful) FAs.
As such, it's time to address the draft.

1) Taliese Fuaga, RT Oregon St - Well rounded "glass eater" type that Pollack will like. Fuaga, I believe, is a plug-and-play RT. What's even better is with Trent Brown on the team, Fuaga can have a year to groom if he needs it.

2) Ja'Lynn Polk, WR Washington - Reliable, versatile WR who has good ball skills and about the same speed as Higgins. People may not recognize his name because he played opposite of Odunze. I love Polk as a guy to come in and either play the slot as a rookie or take over for Higgins in 2025.

3) McKinnley Jackson, NT Miss St - Big DT who is good at stuffing the run and commanding double teams. Ideally, I'd like to wait until 3rd round comp pick or 4th round to get him, but given the need, I don't mind reaching slightly to make sure to get about the only other NT I like other than Sweat.

3comp) Ben Sinnott, TE Kansas St - I really like his game tape, and Sinnott did well at the Combine to help alleviate doubts about his size and length. If Sinnott is gone, I would like either Theo Johnson or Cade Stover. I expect one of them to be here. Let one of these guys back up Gesicki this year before taking over as TE1 in 2025.

4) Elijah Jones, CB Boston College - One of the staples of the BC defense. Always good to add CB depth. I added someone who should be good in zone, has good ball skills, and the size, length, and speed to stay outside.

5) Trevor Keegan, OG Michigan - Seems like a Pollack guy. He could come in and push Volson for starting reps potentially or just serve as a backup for Volson and Cappa as a rookie. Either way, added depth replacing Scharping.

6) Kimani Vidal, RB Troy - Versatile RB who is plenty fast and agile while also being big enough to handle workhorse duties if ever needed. He's also quite a good receiver, evidenced by the 92 receptions he's had in college.

6-comp) Austin McNamara, P Texas Tech - Everyone seems to be on the Tory Taylor train, but I think I like McNamara more. Why, you may ask? McNamara has a good leg, but he worked to transition that into great hangtime while still having good distance. His best YPP was 48.2 in 2021, but in 2023 he really shined with still 46.3 YPP but only allowing returns on 18% of his punts, which was by the far the best among all punters who averaged >45 YPP.

7) Nick Gargiulo, IOL South Carolina - Bengals have quite a few OL set to hit FA next year, most of whom I have no interest to see back. So may as well take a flier on someone in a strong OL class and hope they make the bottom of the roster or the PS. Gargiulo is someone I think could, as he is extremely position-versatile. His best fit looks to be inside at either C or OG. He has a lot of traits that will appeal to Pollack.

7-HOU) Michael Barrett, LB Michigan - Depth for LB and I like what Barrett brings to the table as a backup LB.

Love the draft except for Polk and he actually ruins it for me. Fuaga my favorite but Polk no way Jose. I’m from
Washington watch a lot their games Polk is solid but Charlie jones at best. Whom we already have. If wide receiver the route they wanna go they need to move up for Franklin or Mitchell or take a chance on Walker with his high upside. Polk is a fleet vehicle imo. I’m good on that to replace to Higgins
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 11:56 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Love the draft except for Polk and he actually ruins it for me.  Fuaga my favorite but Polk no way Jose.  I’m from
Washington watch a lot their games Polk is solid but Charlie jones at best.  Whom we already have.  If wide receiver the route they wanna go they need to move up for Franklin or Mitchell or take a chance on Walker with his high upside.  Polk is a fleet vehicle imo.  I’m good on that to replace to Higgins

This mock intentionally is not involving any trade, so it's whoever is available at 49.
But that's fair if you don't like Polk.
I haven't watched as much Washington football as you, but from what I've seen and read on Polk, he sounds like a good fit.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:36 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Really like this draft. Well done. I would consider iol as early as two depending on who’s there and go wr a bit later but still, nice job

This is ur thought process with tee right? What about without tee… let’s say he gets dealt?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 12:00 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This is ur thought process with tee right?  What about without tee… let’s say he gets dealt?

I know this question wasn't to me specifically, but it's a good question for anyone and I'd like to give how I would address this scenario...

If Higgins is traded before the draft, I'd have to expect it would be for a 1st or 2nd round pick.
If so, that brings an extra early-round pick that could allow for taking both an IOL but still a WR.

If planning to trade after the draft or prior but only a 3rd rounder or later is acquired in return for Higgins, I would take a WR in 1st round.
I really like the early-round WRs in this draft class.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 12:00 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This is ur thought process with tee right? What about without tee… let’s say he gets dealt?

It doesn’t really change my approach much. My assumption is Tee plays on the tag and we can groom a wr for next year. For this reason I’d prefer taking a wr later.

If Tee is traded, then wr becomes a higher priority for me. I’m high on iosivas’s and jones potential.

I was merely commenting on Ocho’s draft. Like most of his mocks over the years, I found this one solid and reasonable.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 11:56 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Love the draft except for Polk and he actually ruins it for me.  Fuaga my favorite but Polk no way Jose.  I’m from
Washington watch a lot their games Polk is solid but Charlie jones at best.  Whom we already have.  If wide receiver the route they wanna go they need to move up for Franklin or Mitchell or take a chance on Walker with his high upside.  Polk is a fleet vehicle imo.  I’m good on that to replace to Higgins

Can you go specifically into what you don't like about Polk?

I don't really know what you mean when you say "fleet vehicle" to describe a player.

When I see tape, I see a really good WR who makes good catches and runs good routes.
Let's compare Polk's metrics with Higgins:

Polk (Combine):
40 time - 4.52
10-split - 1.52
vert - 37.5"
broad - 129"

Higgins (Pro Day):
40 time - 4.54
10-split - 1.66
short shuttle - 4.53
vert - 31"
broad - 123"

Higgins is a few inches taller and about 15 lbs heavier, but Polk has better athleticism, explosiveness, and speed than Higgins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 02:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It doesn’t really change my approach much.  My assumption is Tee plays on the tag and we can groom a wr for next year.  For this reason I’d prefer taking a wr later.  

If Tee is traded, then wr becomes a higher priority for me.  I’m high on iosivas’s and jones potential.  

I was merely commenting on Ocho’s draft.  Like most of his mocks over the years, I found this one solid and reasonable.

Don't forget that Irwin is also back, and he's been solid in his reps the past couple years.

2022-2023:
716 offensive reps
55 targets
40 rec
547 yards
5 TDs

I think he could be a 700+ yard WR if given more full-time opportunity.
That's Boyd-level production.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Big McKinnley Jackson fan. Thick squaty two gapper in the SEC with a good first step that shows some untapped single gap potential.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Franklin is to tiny he'd get killed in our division no thanks. I do however like Mitchell but he'll be long gone before 49. If you're drafting a WR at 49 who can do it all and play inside and outside with some of the best hands in the draft I would go with Ricky Pearsall ( watch his tape and watch him toast people at the senior bowl).
Reply/Quote
This might be my favorite Mock. Love Fuaga for us, perfect RT to learn behind Trent Brown for a year. Polk would be a very
good Boyd replacement in my opinion, not so much a Tee replacement, but I like the guy a lot. Love the McKinnley Jackson
pick in the 3rd, he would be a steal there. Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this Draft. Love Vidal, fits our Offense like a
glove.

If I have a critique, it would be to add another bigger WR with speed than just Polk as I think we would still need a Tee
replacement. But you never know, Iosivas could very well be our Tee replacement for all we know.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This might be my favorite Mock. Love Fuaga for us, perfect RT to learn behind Trent Brown for a year. Polk would be a very
good Boyd replacement in my opinion, not so much a Tee replacement, but I like the guy a lot. Love the McKinnley Jackson
pick in the 3rd, he would be a steal there. Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this Draft. Love Vidal, fits our Offense like a
glove.

If I have a critique, it would be to add another bigger WR with speed than just Polk as I think we would still need a Tee
replacement.
But you never know, Iosivas could very well be our Tee replacement for all we know.

Why can't a 6'1", 203 lb guy replace Higgins?
Ja'Marr Chase is 6'0", 201 lbs.
Polk has elite jump ability, as evidenced by his game tape and also his explosiveness in the vert and broad jump.

If I was going for a bigger WR though, I'd probably go after Johnny Wilson if picking on Day 2.
6'6", 231 lbs but also ran a 4.52 with a 1.59 split like Polk. Also nearly identical broad and vert.
Wilson also had an elite shuttle at 4.11.
I liked Polk though because I think he's more versatile, but I could see maybe playing Chase more in the slot this season with Higgins and Wilson outside.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why can't a 6'1", 203 lb guy replace Higgins?
Ja'Marr Chase is 6'0", 201 lbs.
Polk has elite jump ability, as evidenced by his game tape and also his explosiveness in the vert and broad jump.

If I was going for a bigger WR though, I'd probably go after Johnny Wilson if picking on Day 2.
6'6", 231 lbs but also ran a 4.52 with a 1.59 split like Polk. Also nearly identical broad and vert.
Wilson also had an elite shuttle at 4.11.
I liked Polk though because I think he's more versatile, but I could see maybe playing Chase more in the slot this season with Higgins and Wilson outside.

All great points. Polk very well could be a Higgins replacement. I do really like Johnny Wilson though I must say. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All great points. Polk very well could be a Higgins replacement. I do really like Johnny Wilson though I must say. Wink

Polk looks really good in his routes, at least from the game snaps I watched.
This is often something that can't be seen in athletic drills.
It's why I preferred him over some of the other guys who maybe are a little bigger and/or faster.

From a Higgins comparison perspective, he's 3 inches shorter than Higgins but he has a 6" higher vert.
And while Higgins isn't the fastest, he's a solid route runner and great hands catcher, which are things I really liked about Polk too.

This wasn't really directed at you necessarily, but I think some people get too caught up in elite measurables and forget it's not all about height and speed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Polk looks really good in his routes, at least from the game snaps I watched.
This is often something that can't be seen in athletic drills.
It's why I preferred him over some of the other guys who maybe are a little bigger and/or faster.

From a Higgins comparison perspective, he's 3 inches shorter than Higgins but he has a 6" higher vert.
And while Higgins isn't the fastest, he's a solid route runner and great hands catcher, which are things I really liked about Polk too.

This wasn't really directed at you necessarily, but I think some people get too caught up in elite measurables and forget it's not all about height and speed.

Keon Coleman for example who some might think could be a bust, or at least has high bust potential.
Reply/Quote