Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moustakas to the Reds?
Not confirmed by the Reds yet but it sounds like he may be playing 2nd base. He hit 35 HRs for the Brewers last year!
Reply/Quote
Reds and Moustakas have agreed on a 4 year 64 million dollar deal. Would be the biggest free agent signing in Reds history. Great signing and i'm glad to see they are trying to improve the team!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m hearing 4 years 64 Million for the LH power bat. This is huge if true!
Reply/Quote
Here's a link.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/report-cincinnati-reds-adding-big-bat-offense/BYnuVz6wITu9MM1JHfZNdI/?fbclid=IwAR369duYA_yZP8oNDDq2DMVgiaLTmhVN8GhGpIwt2IQv5sl5Q20KL6h_zE0
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
The free agent prediction sights had him signing for 2 years at 10 Million a year. The Reds decided to pony up big time. I think that anything over 3 years and 45 million is probably an overpay. The thing is though that the Reds decided to be aggressive and get the offseason ball rolling. Missing out on Grandal probably put some pressure on them to get the first big signing out of the way. That LH power bat is needed big time and I see him being the cleanup hitter. Votto, Suarez and Moose will probably slot 2, 3 and 4. I’d like to see the Reds also land one of the better OF or SP free agents too. Then they can add a couple of RP and be ready to roll. Moose will hopefully be adequate at 2B, it’s nice to add a 3 time AllStar bat to the lineup though. I wish there was a way to add a high OBP guy to the OF. Another thing is that this really weakens the Brewers losing Grandal and Moose. The Reds probably moved up to 3rd place and are now probably a .500 team. Hopefully Bell doesn’t single handedly lose the dozen or so games that he did last year and Iglesias pitches much better.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 07:35 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The free agent prediction sights had him signing for 2 years at 10 Million a year. The Reds decided to pony up big time. I think that anything over 3 years and 45 million is probably an overpay. The thing is though that the Reds decided to be aggressive and get the offseason ball rolling. Missing out on Grandal probably put some pressure on them to get the first big signing out of the way. That LH power bat is needed big time and I see him being the cleanup hitter. Votto, Suarez and Moose will probably slot 2, 3 and 4. I’d like to see the Reds also land one of the better OF or SP free agents too. Then they can add a couple of RP and be ready to roll. Moose will hopefully be adequate at 2B, it’s nice to add a 3 time AllStar bat to the lineup though. I wish there was a way to add a high OBP guy to the OF. Another thing is that this really weakens the Brewers losing Grandal and Moose. The Reds probably moved up to 3rd place and are now probably a .500 team. Hopefully Bell doesn’t single handedly lose the dozen or so games that he did last year and Iglesias pitches much better.

I think this was the one BIG signing of the offseason. They already brought in two new RP in DeLeon and Shafer, so I don’t expect much more movement in the bullpen. Hopefully they still have money to sign a good vet OF with injury history our guys have.

They could trade Iggy for a good platoon OF or maybe trade him to free up money to sign somebody like Dickerson.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think this was the one BIG signing of the offseason. They already brought in two new RP in DeLeon and Shafer, so I don’t expect much more movement in the bullpen. Hopefully they still have money to sign a good vet OF with injury history our guys have.

They could trade Iggy for a good platoon OF or maybe trade him to free up money to sign somebody like Dickerson.

I do like Deleon. I’m not sure where this puts the Reds as far as payroll goes. I’m gonna predict one more big signing or trade. The infield should be set. They could still land a good Catcher, OF or 5th starter.
Reply/Quote
Not too bad...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
This is even more important...

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:06 AM)psychdoctor Wrote:

I went to the Brewers message board and read 6 pages of comments. 99% of their posters had the same reaction. They liked him as a player, person and as a leader. They all thought that we paid way too much and were all glad that the Brew didn’t resign him at that price and term. Most were saying that anything over 3 Yrs and 36 Mil was a no for them. The free agency sights were predicting 2 Yrs and 20 Mil. They definitely were extremely aggressive. I’m wondering what kind of other offers this guy was getting. The Reds probably have a 2 year window to go all in. They need to land another big fish and make a playoff run this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:23 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I went to the Brewers message board and read 6 pages of comments. 99% of their posters had the same reaction. They liked him as a player, person and as a leader. They all thought that we paid way too much and were all glad that the Brew didn’t resign him at that price and term. Most were saying that anything over 3 Yrs and 36 Mil was a no for them. The free agency sights were predicting 2 Yrs and 20 Mil. They definitely were extremely aggressive. I’m wondering what kind of other offers this guy was getting. The Reds probably have a 2 year window to go all in. They need to land another big fish and make a playoff run this coming season.

He will likely hit 40 HRs from the left side with the Reds and GABP.  The Punisher, Moose, Suave, Votto (if he gets it back) gives the reds power, game changers.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
With Moose's WAR, the Reds are looking at about 85-86 wins. They need another player to put them closer to 90 wins for a chance to win division.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:27 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: He will likely hit 40 HRs from the left side with the Reds and GABP.  The Punisher, Moose, Suave, Votto (if he gets it back) gives the reds power, game changers.  

We all thought that Puig would too. I really love that he’s LH, the lineup needed more balance.
Reply/Quote
Good to hear, keep em coming
Reply/Quote
I'm still leary of keeping Senzel in CF and if he gets hurt again it leaves them really hung. I like Senzel, but I'm just not sold on him as a CFer every day.. Hopefully he remains healthy, picks up on his BA and power and can refine his ability to track the ball in center. It just seems like a fish out of water, but he might still develop into a solid center fielder. It seems odd this team insists on moving players to positions they are not particularly best at. 
I like Moustakas and think he might bring a lot with his bat, but once again he's a 3rd baseman moved over to 2nd. Senzel was a 3rd baseman moved first to 2nd then center. Perhaps it works out for the best..I don't know. I was really hoping they could keep Iglesias at SS, but that ship seems to be sailing away as time goes on.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Pros:

1. Shows the Reds are going to be aggressive in winning the NL Central division.

2. Adds power to our line up from the left side, which we don't really have unless Votto makes a comeback (Winker is good, but known more for his OBP than power).

3. He has experience on winning teams and is a good locker room presence.

4. Weakens the Brewers

Cons:

1. He is below average at reaching base. This was our biggest issue last season and this signing doesn't help that.

2. He is an average (at best) 2nd baseman who honestly belongs at 3B, due to his arm strength.

3. We probably overpaid for him, since he is 31 and will be 35 at the end of his contract. I doubt he'll be able to play 2nd base all 4 years.

A bit of a mixed bag for our most expensive free agent signing ever. I am excited by the pros and concerned about the cons, but I think it's overall a good decision. We'll see what other moves they make this off season in pursuit of that NL Central crown!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Not too bad...

My only question is, where’s the speed?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm still leary of keeping Senzel in CF and if he gets hurt again it leaves them really hung. I like Senzel, but I'm just not sold on him as a CFer every day.. Hopefully he remains healthy, picks up on his BA and power and can refine his ability to track the ball in center. It just seems like a fish out of water, but he might still develop into a solid center fielder. It seems odd this team insists on moving players to positions they are not particularly best at. 
I like Moustakas and think he might bring a lot with his bat, but once again he's a 3rd baseman moved over to 2nd. Senzel was a 3rd baseman moved first to 2nd then center. Perhaps it works out for the best..I don't know. I was really hoping they could keep Iglesias at SS, but that ship seems to be sailing away as time goes on.

These next 2 years will probably tell us if Senzel is cut out for full seasons in MLB. You have tons more reaction time in CF than you do at 2B, I don’t buy into 2B is a safer position to play. Hopefully they can get at least 140 games out of him this year.
Reply/Quote