Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move Shawn Williams to LB.
The experts seem to agree that the weakest link in our defense is pass coverage by the LBs.  So play Shawn at LB every 2nd and 3rd down.  He will get trucked on some running plays, but nothing else seems to be working.

I am not a huge fan of Fejedelem starting at safety, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Jordan Evans has only played more than half of the defensive snaps in two gaMES, Carolina and Kansas City, so I don't think he is the answer.

Malik Jefferson has not played a single snap on defense, so I doubt he is ready to contribute anything.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The experts seem to agree that the weakest link in our defense is pass coverage by the LBs.  So play Shawn at LB every 2nd and 3rd down.  He will get trucked on some running plays, but nothing else seems to be working.

I am not a huge fan of Fejedelem starting at safety, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Jordan Evans has only played more than half of the defensive snaps in two gaMES, Carolina and Kansas City, so I don't think he is the answer.

I agree with you fred......we gotta try SOMETHING.  Any potential trade options? I know that's not something this team would usually even consider doing, but if there is a viable option out there, and you're serious about winning this division, you may wanna try operating out of the box a bit.  They did in the offseason, may as well do it now.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They've got to do something, we're the worst defense in the NFL !

Hell bring someone off the PS.
Reply/Quote
Using a 3 Safety look was something that was mentioned in the offseason. Personally, I think it would certainly be worth a try. However, I think I would use Fedj. in the hybrid slot. His tackling fundamentals are pretty good, whereas Williams often looks to lay the atomic shoulder.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Trade for Deone Buchanan, or however you spell it. Arizona doesn't use him so you could probably get him for a mid late rounder. Decent hybrid lb.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Using a 3 Safety look was something that was mentioned in the offseason.  Personally, I think it would certainly be worth a try.  However, I think I would use Fedj. in the hybrid slot.  His tackling fundamentals are pretty good, whereas Williams often looks to lay the atomic shoulder.

That may be a better idea than fred's. Williams is better in coverage though it seems....so he may be the better option covering the middle of the field.  I think we definitely should go 3 safety, or maybe try what fred suggests.  A trade for a coverage LB wouldn't be bad either. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:38 PM)ah5 Wrote: Trade for Deone Buchanan, or however you spell it.  Arizona doesn't use him so you could probably get him for a mid late rounder.  Decent hybrid lb.

NVM trade deadline has passed I think.....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Using a 3 Safety look was something that was mentioned in the offseason.  Personally, I think it would certainly be worth a try.  However, I think I would use Fedj. in the hybrid slot.  His tackling fundamentals are pretty good, whereas Williams often looks to lay the atomic shoulder.

At this point Sunset I think damn near anything is worth a try. We're getting roasted alive, you can't roast somebody alive twice so......
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:39 PM)ah5 Wrote: NVM trade deadline has passed I think.....

Nah man.....Oct. 30th. You're good.

Reply/Quote
If the Bengals go with Tampa Two, then Williams is more suited than Burfict.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
This thread is pointless. This would require Merv to get out of his comfy zone. No, we will trot the same guys out there and use the same D we have used all season.... I do like the idea of either Williams or Fej at LB btw.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The experts seem to agree that the weakest link in our defense is pass coverage by the LBs.  So play Shawn at LB every 2nd and 3rd down.  He will get trucked on some running plays, but nothing else seems to be working.

Malik Jefferson has not played a single snap on defense, so I doubt he is ready to contribute anything.

Was thinking the same thing.

Also should give Malik some snaps on first downs and see what he has, couldn't be worse and he is very talented.

Let him get some snaps and get his feet wet.
Reply/Quote
I know the Bengals have done more un-Bengal like things in recent history.

But is it me or does a move like this seem very un-Marvin like to make at this point of the season?

But yeah, anything to help this modern version of a bad Bengals 1990s D.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:38 PM)ah5 Wrote: Trade for Deone Buchanan, or however you spell it. Arizona doesn't use him so you could probably get him for a mid late rounder. Decent hybrid lb.

This
Reply/Quote

This sounds like a solid move to me. Or maybe use Fej in that role too.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
A couple seasons ago, Williams was being used as a Nickel backer and it seemed to go pretty well.
Reply/Quote
I would be all for it but not sure who plays SS for us Williams or Fedj? Would be for it if we kept Iloka though. Also maybe move Kirkpatrick to that role at least in known throwing situations or perhaps Phillips.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If they’re moving a safety to LB, I’d transition during the bye week so they don’t just add that guy to the injury list because he’s not sure of assignments.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the one comment. Change? Haaaa haaa you want change no way buddy my way works - marvin lewis
Reply/Quote
More three safety sets would allow this. Which would help with our weakness in the linebacking core. Then again, the entire defense looks quite weak at this point.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote