Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move Shawn Williams to LB.
I think it would be a decent move against a less aggressive team like TB to see how it works out. Here’s the problem, in a sense he would be replacing a position filled previously by Burfict, and SW has already been ejected this year and 2 (I think) UR calls. Would fear the refs would continue their hate for the Bengals and make him the new flag target. Therefore, stapling his identity for the rest of his future like they have Burfict in ref locker rooms like the 10 most wanted in U.S. post offices.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anything is worth a shot at this point and believe Williams may be better at this role anyway.

Will say though that Defense seems to be almost nonexistent in NFL this year and have seen some Bengals defenses play horrid and turn it around in second half of season. Hopefully that happens and believe there is talent and they just need to find their identity.

Got to hang it on Austin at this point, even though he is not the one whiffing all these tackles.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was thinking the same thing.

Also should give Malik some snaps on first downs and see what he has, couldn't be worse and he is very talented.

Let him get some snaps and get his feet wet.

Thats where i am. 

How about giving our 3rd round pick a chance to play the position he plays.

I thought he made major improvements from the first preseason game to the last. Now we are stunting his growth.
Reply/Quote
Shawn Williams seems to be pretty out of position in space so maybe smaller zones/manning up more often while playing at LB would help.

BTW, I still think that if we had Reggie Nelson out there we would've won that Steelers game. How many times did he intercept Ben on the final drive of the game to save us from defeat?

Reply/Quote
Tampa's already scheduled to come out to look like world beaters on Sunday. Are ya ready for Fitzmagic? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The experts seem to agree that the weakest link in our defense is pass coverage by the LBs.  So play Shawn at LB every 2nd and 3rd down.  He will get trucked on some running plays, but nothing else seems to be working.

I am not a huge fan of Fejedelem starting at safety, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Jordan Evans has only played more than half of the defensive snaps in two gaMES, Carolina and Kansas City, so I don't think he is the answer.

Malik Jefferson has not played a single snap on defense, so I doubt he is ready to contribute anything.
if we got some pressure from our D line we could hide some weakness. Williams seems to not want to tackle at all and its rubbed off. Williams is scared of contact so he will let Rbs run right pass him. What we need is a new, aggressive, win at all cost mentality on D and O.  so it starts with Marvin out the door, there is simply not enough football intelligence flowing from coaches to players.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The experts seem to agree that the weakest link in our defense is pass coverage by the LBs.  So play Shawn at LB every 2nd and 3rd down.  He will get trucked on some running plays, but nothing else seems to be working.

I am not a huge fan of Fejedelem starting at safety, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Jordan Evans has only played more than half of the defensive snaps in two gaMES, Carolina and Kansas City, so I don't think he is the answer.

Malik Jefferson has not played a single snap on defense, so I doubt he is ready to contribute anything.

I am with you in terms of making some changes, but I disagree about Fej.  The guy makes plays when called on, and does so at a much higher rate than Shawn Williams, who has a ton more snaps under his belt. 

Shawn is a horrible tackler. I would move Jordan Evans and Malik Jefferson in more over Rey and see if they can be developed.  They aren't going to improve by watching.  And we know what we have in Rey.  And Nickerson just looks lost out there. 

Not to tangent too far from topic, but LB needs to be strongly considered as a high priority in next year's draft and FA class.  

I would be willing to cut Shawn Williams and Burfict in order to use some of that money on a FA LB in the offseason that could become a new center piece of the defense.  

The last point that needs addressed is the scheme.  These guys are horrible in zone.  Why do we stay in zone when we have three first round corners that are better in man coverage?  We play so chicken shit afraid about giving up one big play that we give up endless 10-15 yard plays.  Start playing man, and start crowding the line to harass opposing QBs.  
Reply/Quote

I said to move Williams to LB back quite a few months ago, especially when Bates was drafted and we heard the Bengals were thinking of deploying "3 safety" looks. However, that was also back when the Bengals had Iloka, who I thought was always a good SS. I think it was a detriment for the Bengals to cut him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am with you in terms of making some changes, but I disagree about Fej.  The guy makes plays when called on, and does so at a much higher rate than Shawn Williams, who has a ton more snaps under his belt. 

This just is not true.  Fej has played 126 snaps on defense and has made 1 "play" (the big fumble recovery td ret).

Shawn Williams has played a lot more snaps (392) but he has 3 passes defended, a forced fumble, a sack, and 2 interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  Fej has played 126 snaps on defense and has made 1 "play" (the big fumble recovery td ret).

Shawn Williams has played a lot more snaps (392) but he has 3 passes defended, a forced fumble, a sack, and 2 interceptions.

Uh, Fej also forced that fumble that he returned for a TD.  

And PFF has Fej rated ELITE, with a 91:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/clayton-fejedelem/10879

They have williams rated slightly above average, with a 63: https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/shawn-williams/7865

So, again, this is not true? Hilarious 

Oh, wait, here is where you dig for some stat that shows Williams is better than Fej on third down the second Sunday of a month in a leap year.

Or, you attack PFF as bogus.  Well, I am not saying it is the absolute value of everyone, but Williams is a horrible tackler.  If you don't know that you haven't been watching.  

Fej got a bit more of a shot to play last year due to injury and had an INT, a pass defensed, and a TFL.  He also had 46 solo tackles.  That was the first time he got any real action in the NFL.  

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Uh, Fej also forced that fumble that he returned for a TD.  

And PFF has Fej rated ELITE, with a 91:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/clayton-fejedelem/10879

They have williams rated slightly above average, with a 63: https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/shawn-williams/7865

So, again, this is not true? Hilarious 

Oh, wait, here is where you dig for some stat that shows Williams is better than Fej on third down the second Sunday of a month in a leap year.

Or, you attack PFF as bogus.  Well, I am not saying it is the absolute value of everyone, but Williams is a horrible tackler.  If you don't know that you haven't been watching.  

Fej got a bit more of a shot to play last year due to injury and had an INT, a pass defensed, and a TFL.  He also had 46 solo tackles.  That was the first time he got any real action in the NFL.  

A Fred ploy, leave out the fact Fej caused the fumble, recovered the fumble, than ran it back to win a game....

Shawn had some great plays against the Ravens this year that helped us win too. But he has hardly been a playmaker here.

Shawn followed up that game by trying to lose the next one with bonehead penalties.
Reply/Quote