Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Move on from Whitworth if it means keeping Zeitler
(02-09-2017, 07:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While this is all true, I think it could become a position group of strength in just one draft.  Draft a Guard like Feeney and a Center like Elfien early, you have Fisher at RT, Boling at LG, and Whit for at least two more years with time to develop his replacement.  

Bodine will not be defended this year, as his contract ends at the end of the season.  Drafting his replacement for 2018 is logical and can push for the starting job this year.  Bodine could become the backup.  I also thought Fisher looked really good when finally given his shot at RT last year.  He isn't fighting an offseason injury like Ced, either, where he will surely come back to the bengals even stronger.  

As for PA, just one poor quarter, really, or design/execution/etc in the Super Bowl and the Falcons are replacing two coaches on defense....Ouch.  That is the difference between winning and losing:  accountability.  Alexander should have been tossed out after getting his QB killed this past year.  

Alexander should have been tossed long ago.  Our run game has been shitty for quite some time, with multiple backs and OCs.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 07:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While this is all true, I think it could become a position group of strength in just one draft.  Draft a Guard like Feeney and a Center like Elfien early, you have Fisher at RT, Boling at LG, and Whit for at least two more years with time to develop his replacement.  

Bodine will not be defended this year, as his contract ends at the end of the season.  Drafting his replacement for 2018 is logical and can push for the starting job this year.  Bodine could become the backup.  I also thought Fisher looked really good when finally given his shot at RT last year.  He isn't fighting an offseason injury like Ced, either, where he will surely come back to the bengals even stronger.  

As for PA, just one poor quarter, really, or design/execution/etc in the Super Bowl and the Falcons are replacing two coaches on defense....Ouch.  That is the difference between winning and losing:  accountability.  Alexander should have been tossed out after getting his QB killed this past year.  

I just can't envision Ogbuehi not starting in 2017. Paul Alexander won't give up on his latest project that easily. That's what happens without accountability. PA is more worried about his ego and proving he can fix a turd than what's actually better for the sake of winning football games. 

It's hard to imagine the line getting any better if guys like Og and Bodine are still a part of it. After seeing teams like Dallas, Atlanta and New England this year, the Bengals should take notes and make o-line a priority. Those teams were all excellent at running the football as well as pass blocking. Paul's lines have been none of the above.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have to agree with the op here. Whit is due to fall off anytime now, and that could be this year or next year or year after. We just dont know. But Zeitler still is growing as a player and probably pretty close to his ceiling, as I am hoping he hasnt reached it yet. Ideally Whit will come back for a reasonable price for the Bengals, and they sign Zeitler to a new deal. Either way Ogbooty better take some leaps forward this offseason, cause without that I dont see much improvement on the o-line overall. That is assuming Bengals stick to their typical off-season strategies.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Im gonna be sick to my stomach if we overpay Whit and let Zeitler walk. Face it Mike youre gonna have to overpay one. Is it the guy who's towards the end of his career, or the guy you want around for the future?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Og and Bodine wil be starters in 2017

Two losses to Steelers for sure with that lineup
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 12:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sad how we have to keep a 36 yo tackle after drafting 2 in the top 2 rounds of the draft just 2 years ago. The line is in shambles with little to no talent waiting in the wings, and we're hoping like heck we can keep the oldest tackle in football to keep it from falling apart any further.

Yet the man responsible for all this doesn't even have to worry for one second about his job security.

So sad... Sad Cry
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 12:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sad how we have to keep a 36 yo tackle after drafting 2 in the top 2 rounds of the draft just 2 years ago. The line is in shambles with little to no talent waiting in the wings, and we're hoping like heck we can keep the oldest tackle in football to keep it from falling apart any further.

Yet the man responsible for all this doesn't even have to worry for one second about his job security.

The continuity, man. It matters....eventually? Maybe?  Confused
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:59 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im gonna be sick to my stomach if we overpay Whit and let Zeitler walk. Face it Mike youre gonna have to overpay one. Is it the guy who's towards the end of his career, or the guy you want around for the future?

I agree 100%.Zeitler has given up ONE SACK in the last two years & one of the best run blocking Guards in the league who is 26 years old & in his prime. You would think the Bengals learned their not paying their guards after letting Max Montoya go. Letting Zeitler walk will be a monsterous mistake. How bad would this line be if he goes? I don't want to find out.
Reply/Quote
Pay the man. Zeitler that is
Reply/Quote
Why is it even an issue?

$46 million in cap space:

Whitworth - 1 year, $10 million
Zeitler - 5 years, 45 million (9 million hit)
Dre - 5 years, $50 million (10 million hit - based off Janoris Jenkins deal)

Thats $30 million in money. We can sign all of them and not even be close to the cap. I know we need to extend some guys next year, but lets worry about that next year. Who knows what the cap will be next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:05 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why is it even an issue?

Thats $30 million in money.  We can sign all of them and not even be close to the cap. I know we need to extend some guys next year, but lets worry about that next year.  Who knows what the cap will be next year.

not to mention the fact we only need about 20million to sign our free agents next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:59 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im gonna be sick to my stomach if we overpay Whit and let Zeitler walk. Face it Mike youre gonna have to overpay one. Is it the guy who's towards the end of his career, or the guy you want around for the future?

Another way of saying that might be "Is it the guy that is one of the best LT in football or is it an also-ran"...the answer is easy for me.  And with Zeitler's ceiling being what it appears to be, I would rather get a young stud like Feeney and grow moving forward.  Pair with with a good young center and the line is suddenly much improved.  Hell, I thought it looked better with TJ Johnson for a short while.  
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:05 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why is it even an issue?

Thats $30 million in money.  We can sign all of them and not even be close to the cap. I know we need to extend some guys next year, but lets worry about that next year.  Who knows what the cap will be next year.

Because.....Mike Clown.

I agree wholeheartedly, there is no excuse to not get ALL of them back.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 11:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: In typical Bengal front office form they lowballed Marvin Jones until he was sold on and visited Detroit then like J.Joe, Johnson and countless others they tried to get competitive. Too late then. They see all the nice amenities, towels that fit, no limit on Gatorade, indoor practice facilities and the Bengals can't compete.

Look how they treated Z. Reports as of last week was they still haven't even spoken to him about a new contract. That's what they do, then they try to "match" when it's too late and wonder why the player doesn't re-sign.

The Bengals are only good at signing players before their contracts are up. A bidding war and they lose out badly. Treat these players like they don't need them (cheap labor), and then sell the fanbase on the idea that they tried but the player chose elsewhere.
Yep.  It's like inviting someone to your party after you know they'll be going elsewhere.  Empty gesture.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
All one needs to know is that Paul Alexander is still employed. It is the proof this franchise is not interested in being a champion.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 05:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: All one needs to know is that Paul Alexander is still employed. It is the proof this franchise is not interested in being a champion.

Have to agree, until PA is gone there is no chance.

If we get rid of this guy i will have some semblance of hope.

Accountability is the biggest problem with this team, there is none.
Reply/Quote
Why are we so certain Z will get a huge deal somewhere? RG's are the easiest position on the line to find, aren't they? Isn't that where failed T's often move?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This will not be an option anyway.

Just throwing money at a guy does not always work.

Sig bet says that Zeitler can't wait to get out of here and go home.

I would put a sig bet on the fact that he ends up closer to home in Chicago or GB.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 12:37 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Whit is old, Zeitler isn't. If i'm choosing between the two, i'm going Zeitler.

It's time we got out of our loyalty phase and made some tough decisions.

I really think that was the plan before Ced Ogbuehi threw up all over the field in 2016.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 07:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I really think that was the plan before Ced Ogbuehi threw up all over the field in 2016.

Exactly.  Now what do you do moving forward?  Keep the LT in place and draft a C and G to build for the future.  If the C you draft can't supplant Bodine (I mean, a potted plant should be able to do a better job) then you have to go C again, or go FA.  At least you know one year in advance.  

This is what I thought the Bengals had in place Ced's rookie season and I don't remember hearing anything bad that year.  He was just awful this year.  
Reply/Quote