Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You ever look at a globe or world map?
(11-10-2018, 01:26 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: My dad was on the troop train heading for San Fran on his way to Korea. They laid over at Flagstaff. Flagstaff is near Humphrey's Peak, a mountain. My dad's buddy said to him, "Hey! Let's head over to the mountain. It's just right over there!". So they set out on foot.

Two hours later, they turned around and headed back.

For the rest of his life, that became one of my dad's favorite joke sayings.... "Hey! It's just right over there!"

As a Surveyor, I literally draw maps for a living, both planimetric and topographic.  Having been in the profession long enough to work both sides of the trade, in the field collecting information, and in the office drawing up said information; I've grown a great appreciation for small details on maps that most lay people would simply overlook.  Some of the responses in here humor me, as maps can sometimes be quite confusing to the conceptually challenged individual.  For anyone venturing out on foot, and attempting to navigate by map and compass for the first time, I would strongly suggest doing a bit of research on how to properly read a map.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a Surveyor, I literally draw maps for a living, both planimetric and topographic.  Having been in the profession long enough to work both sides of the trade, in the field collecting information, and in the office drawing up said information; I've grown a great appreciation for small details on maps that most lay people would simply overlook.  Some of the responses in here humor me, as maps can sometimes be quite confusing to the conceptually challenged individual.  For anyone venturing out on foot, and attempting to navigate by map and compass for the first time, I would strongly suggest doing a bit of research on how to properly read a map.

N S E W. See ya in China.

I wasn’t suggesting someone would actually make those walks. Well some Crusaders did do the France to Holy Land thing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 09:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: N S E W. See ya in China.

I wasn’t suggesting someone would actually make those walks.  Well some Crusaders did do the France to Holy Land thing.

I didn't intend to offend with my post, I was just attempting to shed some light on the subject of maps.  I was speaking more to the urban folk who might consider themselves adventurous enough to go "day tripping" on foot, navigating by map, as those are the type that typically get lost and require search efforts to find.  But, keep this in mind.  One survey pace = 3 feet.  Sounds simple, right?  It is, on flat ground.  Now, venture out into rugged terrain, and try to meter your paces to keep approximate horizontal distance going up and down hills, around trees, through streams, etc.  Not quite as easy as it might first appear.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't intend to offend with my post, I was just attempting to shed some light on the subject of maps.  I was speaking more to the urban folk who might consider themselves adventurous enough to go "day tripping" on foot, navigating by map, as those are the type that typically get lost and require search efforts to find.  But, keep this in mind.  One survey pace = 3 feet.  Sounds simple, right?  It is, on flat ground.  Now, venture out into rugged terrain, and try to meter your paces to keep approximate horizontal distance going up and down hills, around trees, through streams, etc.  Not quite as easy as it might first appear.

Oh no I wasn’t offended.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a Surveyor, I literally draw maps for a living, both planimetric and topographic.  Having been in the profession long enough to work both sides of the trade, in the field collecting information, and in the office drawing up said information;  I've grown a great appreciation for small details on maps that most lay people would simply overlook.  Some of the responses in here humor me, as maps can sometimes be quite confusing to the conceptually challenged individual.  For anyone venturing out on foot, and attempting to navigate by map and compass for the first time, I would strongly suggest doing a bit of research on how to properly read a map.

Those "little" details are amazingly critical for military personnel... in many different ways!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't intend to offend with my post, I was just attempting to shed some light on the subject of maps.  I was speaking more to the urban folk who might consider themselves adventurous enough to go "day tripping" on foot, navigating by map, as those are the type that typically get lost and require search efforts to find.  But, keep this in mind.  One survey pace = 3 feet.  Sounds simple, right?  It is, on flat ground.  Now, venture out into rugged terrain, and try to meter your paces to keep approximate horizontal distance going up and down hills, around trees, through streams, etc.  Not quite as easy as it might first appear.

Google Maps baby!!  "Turn left at the cactus 200 yards ahead"....
Reply/Quote