Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies with Benton
I don't watch a lot of TV. When I do watch stuff, it tends to be movies. I like things that have a definitive beginning and ending. With that in mind, I'll start a semi-regular movie thread. New movies, old movies, movies on Netflix, movies on Crackle. I'll post them here with a Mellow rating. The more Mellow s, the better the movie.

The first installment will be Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I saw the movie this weekend. I opted for 3d, which I'm normally not a fan of, but I've got to say, it worked for this movie.

At first I was a little confused. I read comics a lot as a kid. Mostly X-Men, but I can recognize guys in spandex pretty easily. And at first I didn't recognize any of the new "team." Quote marks because they didn't really have a team feel. I thought all of the team issues were resolved in the last movie, but with this one, they introduced a new cast.

It starts with the new team leader. Capt. America has been replaced by a guy named Max. It's a bit confusing at first because you dont even know he's not Capt. America until the final 20 minutes of the film when he says "Max. My name is Max." Which is about half his lines.

Black Widow was carried over from the original, but this time she's named Furiosa. And she's bald. And only has one arm. Which oddly works for her.

The rest of the Avengers are replaced by four chicks (one of which is pregnant) and a bald white guy. That's not racist, he really is very, very white. I think he's Ghost, the old Iron Man villain.

Anyway, Ultron kidnaps Max. Max and the Black Widow and the rest of the Avengers take Ultron's War Rig on a drive through the desert. They destroy lots of cars and rocks on their drive through Cleveland. In addition to Ultron and Ghost, the movie introduces a lot of new characters. Unfortunately I don't recognize a few of them. There's Guitar Man, who is a villain, along with Bullets-For-Teeth Man. Also a villain. But in a weird X-Men crossover it seems like half the guys are trying to honor Professor X, which is a nice homage.

All in all, Avengers: Age of Ultron doesn't offer much as a sequel as it doesn't explain what happened to all the old team, but as a stand alone is a very nice addition to the universe.

Rating: MellowMellowMellowMellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Have you seen the new Mad Max? I am a huge fan of the first two.....Thunderdome was meh.....been looking forward to Fury Road.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I watched "The Cobbler" with Adan Sandler this weekend.

Let me start by saying I am not an Adam Sandler fan. I did like "The Waterboy", where he successfully played an idiot. Not much of a stretch, IMO. Most of his humor in older movies is crude 'potty' humor or humor where he is insulting others. Adam Sandler actually plays ' the straight guy' during much of this movie, which works well for him and the story. He played a similar-type character in "Spanglish" and in the movie about the remote control. I like him better when he plays those types of characters.

The simple story revolves around the life of Max (another guy named Max...LOL!). He lives with his aging mother in New York City and works as a cobbler in his father's shop. His father abandoned the two years earlier. Max is not happy with his life and is stuck in a rut. His only friend is the barber Jimmy next door (played by Steve Buscmi). But Max's life changes one day when he finds a magical artifact. I won't reveal anymore of the story for now.

This movie is family-friendly. After watching it, I watched it again with my 8 year old son. The foul language and innuendo are, thankfully, at a minimum. It is a cute and simple story with a European-type comedy feel about it. It doesn't rely on a bunch of one-liners for humor. The situations and the story bring the humor, and that works.

The movie is not Oscar material. But it is a cute and funny story that is family-friendly. We don't see too many movies like that anymore. It is an Adam Sandler movie that your wife or girlfriend will also like as well (a rare thing). I highly recommend it.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 09:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Have you seen the new Mad Max? I am a huge fan of the first two.....Thunderdome was meh.....been looking forward to Fury Road.....

Going to see it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 11:43 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Going to see it tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it is.

Cool, appreciate it. I hope to catch it next weekend....

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 10:43 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't watch a lot of TV. When I do watch stuff, it tends to be movies. I like things that have a definitive beginning and ending. With that in mind, I'll start a semi-regular movie thread. New movies, old movies, movies on Netflix, movies on Crackle. I'll post them here with a Mellow rating. The more Mellow s, the better the movie.

The first installment will be Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I saw the movie this weekend. I opted for 3d, which I'm normally not a fan of, but I've got to say, it worked for this movie.

At first I was a little confused. I read comics a lot as a kid. Mostly X-Men, but I can recognize guys in spandex pretty easily. And at first I didn't recognize any of the new "team." Quote marks because they didn't really have a team feel. I thought all of the team issues were resolved in the last movie, but with this one, they introduced a new cast.

It starts with the new team leader. Capt. America has been replaced by a guy named Max. It's a bit confusing at first because you dont even know he's not Capt. America until the final 20 minutes of the film when he says "Max. My name is Max." Which is about half his lines.

Black Widow was carried over from the original, but this time she's named Furiosa. And she's bald. And only has one arm. Which oddly works for her.

The rest of the Avengers are replaced by four chicks (one of which is pregnant) and a bald white guy. That's not racist, he really is very, very white. I think he's Ghost, the old Iron Man villain.

Anyway, Ultron kidnaps Max. Max and the Black Widow and the rest of the Avengers take Ultron's War Rig on a drive through the desert. They destroy lots of cars and rocks on their drive through Cleveland. In addition to Ultron and Ghost, the movie introduces a lot of new characters. Unfortunately I don't recognize a few of them. There's Guitar Man, who is a villain, along with Bullets-For-Teeth Man. Also a villain. But in a weird X-Men crossover it seems like half the guys are trying to honor Professor X, which is a nice homage.

All in all, Avengers: Age of Ultron doesn't offer much as a sequel as it doesn't explain what happened to all the old team, but as a stand alone is a very nice addition to the universe.

Rating: MellowMellowMellowMellow

What's the scale of Mellow? Would that be a 4 out of 5?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 09:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Have you seen the new Mad Max? I am a huge fan of the first two.....Thunderdome was meh.....been looking forward to Fury Road.....

In retrospect, I think it was mad max I watched this weekend instead of the avengers. Which is ok. And explains why I was completely lost.

But yes, mad max was great. Loved the first two, didn't care much for Tina turner wearing colanders. Fury road makes up for it. It picks back up with the theme of the second, a story about other people and max is just a character mixed in with them. Loved that about the second movie.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:16 PM)Benton Wrote: In retrospect, I think it was mad max I watched this weekend instead of the avengers. Which is ok. And explains why I was completely lost.

But yes, mad max was great. Loved the first two, didn't care much for Tina turner wearing colanders. Fury road makes up for it. It picks back up with the theme of the second, a story about other people and max is just a character mixed in with them. Loved that about the second movie.

Just curious if "Movies With Benton" will review any good movies.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Just curious if "Movies With Benton" will review any good movies.

If by good you mean nothing written by Adam Sandler, nothing starring Nicholas cage or nothing involving Ben Affleck post dogma.... Then yes, yes it will.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:16 PM)Benton Wrote: In retrospect, I think it was mad max I watched this weekend instead of the avengers. Which is ok. And explains why I was completely lost.

Cool.....to be honest....I saw Avengers and skipped the rest, but after going back and reading your review, it's obvious you saw Fury Road.... Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up. If it had more elements of Thunderdome than "The Road Warrior", then I wasn't going to drop the coin at the theater. Sounds like I'll be hitting up the 3D.....

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 02:07 PM)Benton Wrote: If by good you mean nothing written by Adam Sandler, nothing starring Nicholas cage or nothing involving Ben Affleck post dogma.... Then yes, yes it will.

Oh boy, that means you are missing out on Gone Girl. It also means you will be missing out on the new Batman vs. Superman that looks pretty dope.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 04:03 PM)MrRager Wrote: Oh boy, that means you are missing out on Gone Girl. It also means you will be missing out on the new Batman vs. Superman that looks pretty dope.

It would take a lot of dope for me to watch that movie.
Reply/Quote
I want to see the new Mad Max myself. Any reviews guys? Is it worth paying to see in theatres or should I just wait for blu-ray?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 08:14 PM)magikod Wrote: I want to see the new Mad Max myself. Any reviews guys? Is it worth paying to see in theatres or should I just wait for blu-ray?

It was worth it.
Reply/Quote
I didn't realize that this post was not being serious until after the "replaced by a guy named max" paragraph. I was sitting there thinking: "I really don't remember that." and I re-read the paragraph over and over making sure that I wasn't doing something wrong.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 11:20 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I didn't realize that this post was not being serious until after the "replaced by a guy named max" paragraph.  I was sitting there thinking: "I really don't remember that." and I re-read the paragraph over and over making sure that I wasn't doing something wrong.

LOL

Yeah, I didn't really think people would just skip everything after the first graf.

In seriousness, though, for anyone wondering, mad max is a good movie, especially if you liked the second movie in the series. No idea on avengers. I'll watch it, but with two kids, I'm sure it'll be in the blu ray collection before the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 11:45 PM)Benton Wrote: LOL

Yeah, I didn't really think people would just skip everything after the first graf.

In seriousness, though, for anyone wondering, mad max is a good movie, especially if you liked the second movie in the series. No idea on avengers. I'll watch it, but with two kids, I'm sure it'll be in the blu ray collection before the end of the year.

Sorry man......just not a big fan of the comic book movies....aside from the Batman of course....LOL

The Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies of all time......

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 05:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sorry man......just not a big fan of the comic book movies....aside from the Batman of course....LOL

The Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies of all time......

Then I would say you'll dig Fury Road. It looks like Road Warrior looked and had more of the feeling of the first two rolled into one (unexplained back stories on characters that leave you wondering, frenetic movement, the 'oh ****' look right before everyone car flip/explosion).
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 02:07 PM)Benton Wrote: If by good you mean nothing written by Adam Sandler, nothing starring Nicholas cage or nothing involving Ben Affleck post dogma.... Then yes, yes it will.

Argo was good, and you know it...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 11:45 PM)Benton Wrote: LOL

The Avengers was surprisingly tolerable... I wouldn't have seen myself either without my son nagging me. I've seen much worse with him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote