Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving Forward: My Thoughts on Andy, AJ + Co.
(09-20-2019, 05:19 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Let's jump the gun here and say John Ross explodes this year.  He's going to want more money after the season as well, even though we have him for 2020 and the 5th year option in 2021 (which would be expensive for sure).

How would we pay all 3?  If we were to do so, would that come at the expense of other positions?  I think it would.  The Rams have Cooks, Woods and Kupp.  Cooks and Woods make good money, whereas Kupp does not.  My point is that I think it makes good business sense to pay 2 receivers big money and focus cap resources elsewhere.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the FO is already considering letting AJ go either by trade or releasing him.  With his injuries becoming more frequent, I think they would've never waited this long to sign him if he was healthy.  I believe they have to wait to see what they have in John Ross first at this point and also see what they get out of AJ this year.  If Green gets over 750 yards for the season, I'd be surprised. 

This is kind of where I am with the Green situation.  His injuries are piling up and difficult to ignore.  I have no doubt that he can still be an effective to terrific player, but if Ross proves to be consistently good, then I'd let AJ walk.  There are just too many positions of need on this team to invest in, and there's no reason to invest huge money in a QB/WR combo if you can't surround them with the talent to be successful.

I'd offer Andy 20 mil or so per year for 3 years with a way out after year 1.  I think he can be successful in Zac's system.  Successful enough to win a lot of games, even, if you invest in the o-line.  

This team, despite glaring weaknesses at several positions, has a very good collection of skill guys.  They have enough to win with Dalton if they pick up 2 more good linemen after Jonah.  I'd target Thomas form Georgia and sign a guard.  Cut bait with wet fart Hart and Glenn, take the money and sign a legit, proven guard.  They're in business if that happens.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 10:59 PM)samhain Wrote: This is kind of where I am with the Green situation.  His injuries are piling up and difficult to ignore.  I have no doubt that he can still be an effective to terrific player, but if Ross proves to be consistently good, then I'd let AJ walk.  There are just too many positions of need on this team to invest in, and there's no reason to invest huge money in a QB/WR combo if you can't surround them with the talent to be successful.

I'd offer Andy 20 mil or so per year for 3 years with a way out after year 1.  I think he can be successful in Zac's system.  Successful enough to win a lot of games, even, if you invest in the o-line.  

This team, despite glaring weaknesses at several positions, has a very good collection of skill guys.  They have enough to win with Dalton if they pick up 2 more good linemen after Jonah.  I'd target Thomas form Georgia and sign a guard.  Cut bait with wet fart Hart and Glenn, take the money and sign a legit, proven guard.  They're in business if that happens.

The issue they're going to run into is some of their ore guys are 30/31 years old. As they fix other positions, those guys will decline.

It's like running on a treadmill.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 06:59 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Stopped reading after sign him to a new deal and do it now, that makes zero sense. I took the time I saved by not reading the rest to take OP's mom out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again. Wink

Seriously though, no way I'm resigning Dalton to anything this year.

I didn't stop reading, but I did chuckle. You don't reward Andy for mediocrity. Let him play out his contract and if he remain mediocre we look elsewhere. If he shows much improvement you sign him to a Big contract and are happy to do so.

BTW: Welcome back Toast; hope you stick around. The board is better with you.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah as Taylor is knowing he has his work cut out for him. And hopefully he can get the team over the playoff jinx hump. Good luck with that.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 06:26 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Yeah as Taylor is knowing he has his work cut out for him. And hopefully he can get the team over the playoff jinx hump. Good luck with that.

The coaching staff has arguably been the biggest problem in these 2 games. (Yes - The Seattle game should have been a win had it been for better game management.)
Reply/Quote
I'm just curious if this dumbass "New Dey" ownership will give Taylor a chance to win here.

We all know that they don't know how to use Free Agency and have basically been striking out on high draft picks.

Keep Dalton if they want. Get rid of Tobin. Figure out how to use Free Agency.

Such a pipe dream that they'll ever figure things out.

I stick by this posting of mine from 2017:

"My take on this team is that they always try to project financially ahead of the curve but totally fall behind on replacing players that underperform.

They're always a few seasons off of cutting bait and making upgrades.

Instead they roll with what they got and try to throw bargain bin players or draft picks up against the wall to see if they stick."
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 05:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The issue they're going to run into is some of their ore guys are 30/31 years old. As they fix other positions, those guys will decline.

It's like running on a treadmill.

This is the exact reason that I have been in favor of the “blow it up” approach since Marvin left the building. I want to see Taylor build his own roster rather than be penalized for the failures of a declining roster that has already proven to be not quite ready for prime time at their peak.
Reply/Quote