Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving back to Bengal's Country
Three years and three months ago I moved to South FL and became a help aide for my elderly, ill mother.

Now she has worsened and her and the whole family have agreed that she should be in a care facility in Cincinnati. So her condo is being sold and we will be out of FL by the beginning of December. I have been approved to live in a place in Dayton but don't know many details yet.

I guess I'll have to change my handle!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 11:43 AM)TreasureCoastBenGal Wrote: Three years and three months ago I moved to South FL and became a help aide for my elderly, ill mother.

Now she has worsened and her and the whole family have agreed that she should be in a care facility in Cincinnati. So her condo is being sold and we will be out of FL by the beginning of December. I have been approved to live in a place in Dayton but don't know many details yet.

I guess I'll have to change my handle!

Sorry to hear about your mother. I went through similar situation this year and had no idea how expensive care facilities can be. Best of luck to you and your family. 
Reply/Quote
Thank you for your message. Yes, any kind of extended care is expensive, even in an assisted living situation. For as long as she hangs they will draw against the proceeds from the sale of the condo and her other savings and proceeds from other real estate sales. And then it will be up to Medicaid.

The takeaway from this is: don't retire to Florida unless you have a million saved, have topnotch insurance over Medicare, and don't mind swimming in your own sweat nine months out of the year.
Reply/Quote