Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Moving forward, Only one thing matters
Joe Burrow

They've got to do something, anything, to try and help keep JB from getting killed. The Jags game was fools gold.

I don't claim to be an NFL trade, PS, rules expert by any means but please do something. Sadly the now old core of the team (AJ, Geno, Carlos) time has passed. Is there any way we can trade anybody for a backup Olineman ? Pluck somebody from a practice squad ?

We have two serviceable linemen, Williams and Hopkins. The rest are hot garbage ! Not even backups on a lot of teams. At least two plays Jordan just let rushers go by him on both sides and didn't touch anybody. Hart di the same thong at least once and he's a vet. Lets pray Adeniji can come in and at least be average.

At a minimum at least try shuffling em up. Put Johnson at LT and Williams at RT. Put Adeniji at LG ? They've got to try something, anything.

Either that or bench Burrow and let Finley take the lumps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 09:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Burrow

They've got to do something, anything, to try and help keep JB from getting killed. The Jags game was fools gold.

- New OL coach
- Different blocking schemes to better suit the current players?
- '21 draft focus on OL
- Get a full back?
- Sign free agent OL
- Use TEs to block a ton

Agreed, Joe Burrow needs to be protected during this rebuild year.
Reply/Quote
Not to worry, XSF will fix all this when he gets back!

Sadly those delusional idiots probably truly believe that...

Reply/Quote
The entirety of next years draft needs to be OL and DL. That’s it.

They need to address OL in FA too. Honestly that line needs an entire new unit next year.

Redmond sucks btw. 3 penalties. He’s done that his entire career and he needs cut again.
Reply/Quote
The number of free runners at Burrow yesterday are an indication to me that it is scheme rather than the players that are to blame. The coaches need to know how to shift the line, assign blockers and provide protection against obvious corner and linebacker blitzes. There was one play where a linebacker was standing at the LOS before the snap and then he just went right through the gap between the RT and RG for a free hit on Burrow. Mixon was on the wrong side of Burrow and, without blocking anyone, squeezed through the center and left guard into a route. If he were on Burrow's right, he would have chipped the free blocker on his way to his route.

Those are the kinds of things I see that make me think we need new coaches.

We need new players too, especially at RG, LG and RT, but the coaches are as big of a problem, if not slightly moreso.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 1279725957.jpg.0.jpg]

[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 09:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not to worry, XSF will fix all this when he gets back!

Will they be giving him play-calling duties?  
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The number of free runners at Burrow yesterday are an indication to me that it is scheme rather than the players that are to blame. The coaches need to know how to shift the line, assign blockers and provide protection against obvious corner and linebacker blitzes. There was one play where a linebacker was standing at the LOS before the snap and then he just went right through the gap between the RT and RG for a free hit on Burrow. Mixon was on the wrong side of Burrow and, without blocking anyone, squeezed through the center and left guard into a route. If he were on Burrow's right, he would have chipped the free blocker on his way to his route.

We need new players too, especially at RG, LG and RT, but the coaches are as big of a problem, if not slightly moreso.

Isn't it the responsibility of the C and QB to shift protection based on what they see at the LOS. It's certainly plausible that the Ravens just confused the shit out of a rookie QB yesterday. If so, he'll watch that film and correct some of that. I have faith in that, he's a film junkie by all accounts.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:12 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Redmond sucks btw. 3 penalties. He’s done that his entire career and he needs cut again.

The only problem with that is who replaces him? You cannot cut someone when you have nothing better.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 09:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not to worry, XSF will fix all this when he gets back!

What the hell do they see in Hart ? The guy is a total joke in pass pro. He looks like a JV player that is in his first practice.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:12 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: The entirety of next years draft needs to be OL and DL. That’s it.

They need to address OL in FA too. Honestly that line needs an entire new unit next year.

Redmond sucks btw. 3 penalties. He’s done that his entire career and he needs cut again.

1000% yes 

And the penalties has always been Redmond's M.O. He's good for 10-20 free yards for opposing team every game.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The number of free runners at Burrow yesterday are an indication to me that it is scheme rather than the players that are to blame. The coaches need to know how to shift the line, assign blockers and provide protection against obvious corner and linebacker blitzes. There was one play where a linebacker was standing at the LOS before the snap and then he just went right through the gap between the RT and RG for a free hit on Burrow. Mixon was on the wrong side of Burrow and, without blocking anyone, squeezed through the center and left guard into a route. If he were on Burrow's right, he would have chipped the free blocker on his way to his route.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree. But I would think that blocking 101 has to take over at times no matter the scheme. You've got a free rusher coming up the middle hit him and to hell with the rest !

Or in other words the players aren't free from responsibility.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Isn't it the responsibility of the C and QB to shift protection based on what they see at the LOS. It's certainly plausible that the Ravens just confused the shit out of a rookie QB yesterday. If so, he'll watch that film and correct some of that. I have faith in that, he's a film junkie by all accounts.

Lets pray they figure something out. I'm not sure I even wanna watch the Steelers game if they don't find some solutions ?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get what you're saying and don't disagree. But I would think that blocking 101 has to take over at times no matter the scheme. You've got a free rusher coming up the middle hit him and to hell with the rest !

Or in other words the players aren't free from responsibility.

As my little league coach always said...."when in doubt.....hit some-damn-body!" 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What the hell do they see in Hart ? The guy is a total joke in pass pro. He looks like a JV player that is in his first practice.

PFF pass blocking grades v Ravens

Hopkins - 79.6
Hart - 79.0
Williams - 76.2
Redmond - 46.5
Jordan - 42.3

Suggests that the problem isn't so much Hart at RT as the guards.

But the must successful O-lineman they've drafted since 2012 has been Bodine. Let that sink in for a minute.

Since 2012 their draft record is:

5th round - Tanner Hawkinson - Out of the league since 2016. 5 games (3 for Bengals, 2 for Eagles), no starts
7th round - Reid Fragel - out of league since 2015. 1 game, no starts for Tampa
7th round - TJ Johnson - out of league since 2017. 45 games including 5 starts for the Bengals.

4th round - Russell Bodine - out of league since 2018. 74 starts (64 with Bengals, 10 with Bills)

1st round - Cedric Ogbuehi - 50 games (35 with Bengals; 14 with Jags; 1 with Seattle), 25 starts all with Bengals
2nd round - Jake Fisher - Out of league since 2018. 48 games ncluding 12 starts. 

4th round - Christian Westerman - out of league since 2018. 16 games with 2 starts all with Bengals.

5th round - JJ Dielman - out of league since 2019. 0 games.

1st round* - Billy Price - still on roster - 31 games with 18 starts. Benched behind at least 3 undrafted free agents (Hopkins, Johnson and Redmond).
7th round - Rod Taylor - out league since 2018. 0 games

*Traded back from 12th to 21st for Cordy Glenn. Out of league since 2019. 19 games, including 18 starts for the Bengals.

1st round Jonah Williams - current LT and the great hope - 5 starts
4th round - Michael Jordan - current LG for now - 18 games with 14 starts

6th round - Hakeem Adeniji - still on roster - apparently 4 games including 1 start according to profootball reference (eh?) but has only taken 3 snaps

13 draft picks and a trade. Other than the 4 still on the roster for one of the worst O-lines in the league, the only one still in the league is Ogbuehi.

In free agency their only attempts to fix it have been Hart, John Miller (cut after a year) and the bargain basement XSF.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 08:40 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: In free agency their only attempts to fix it have been Hart, John Miller (cut after a year) and the bargain basement XSF.

Cordy Glenn
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Lets pray they figure something out. I'm not sure I even wanna watch the Steelers game if they don't find some solutions ?

We need to scrap a receiver and bring in an extra lineman and just run the ball.
Reply/Quote
This is just a horrible indictment and proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Duke Tobin has been and is a disaster and that management was in lala land when they franchised AJ instead of using $18 million to sign two quality O lineman.

Because they do not have a tough and realistic GM ( not a yes man) the Brown family regularly puts familiarity and misplaced loyalty to long term players over what is reality.

For goodness sakes how many years do they have to see this trash and not do anything? And in a year when they drafted a generational player knowing what Happened to Carr in Houston under similar circumstances.

And if they did not invest in o line free agents because of the current line coach evaluation of his players than he should be fired tomorrow.

This is a great thread and OP is 100% correct. Bench Burrow and let Finley get killed ( poor Finley- he also deserves better)
Reply/Quote

XSF is still an upgrade over any OG they have on the roster, but he can't play both OG spots.
If they put XSF at LG, it makes for a solid left side, but the right side would still be a sieve.
If they put XSF at RG, it should help Hart but still there will be a gap on the left.

At what point do they try Adeniji because all of Jordan, Price, and Redmond are so bad?

If the Bengals lose their next 3 games (likely given every team has 3+ wins), the Bengals will be 1-6-1 heading into their bye week. You would think at that point they're basically eliminated and need to start giving young guys more reps, right?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Cordy Glenn

That's not technically FA, that's a trade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote