Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Moving on from Brandon Allen?
The team elevated Jake Browing the last 3 games and in the playoffs just so he could get a game day check. We're into draft planning mode now and the team has yet to re-sign Brandon Allen. As much as he is a great locker room guy, hard worker, all around nice person, etc, it was plainly obvious that being an effective back-up QB was frankly beyond his skill level.

Reporting had it that the team pursued Cooper Rush before he re-signed with Dallas

Jake showed some potential during pre-season outings but I don't know if he showed enough even though I think he is better than Brandon. Maybe with 3 years under his belt Joe doesn't need that veteran presence anymore

I have a feeling one of our 7 draft picks will be a QB

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:27 PM)pally Wrote: The team elevated Jake Browing the last 3 games and in the playoffs just so he could get a game day check.  We're into draft planning mode now and the team has yet to re-sign Brandon Allen.  As much as he is a great locker room guy, hard worker, all around nice person, etc, it was plainly obvious that being an effective back-up QB was frankly beyond his skill level.  

Reporting had it that the team pursued Cooper Rush before he re-signed with Dallas

Jake showed some potential during pre-season outings but I don't know if he showed enough even though I think he is better than Brandon.  Maybe with 3 years under his belt Joe doesn't need that veteran presence anymore

Since they pursued Rush, I wonder if there's any interest in Bridgewater.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:27 PM)pally Wrote: The team elevated Jake Browing the last 3 games and in the playoffs just so he could get a game day check. We're into draft planning mode now and the team has yet to re-sign Brandon Allen. As much as he is a great locker room guy, hard worker, all around nice person, etc, it was plainly obvious that being an effective back-up QB was frankly beyond his skill level.

Jake showed some potential during pre-season outings but I don't know if he showed enough even though I think he is better than Brandon. Maybe with 3 years under his belt Joe doesn't need that veteran presence anymore

I like Browning better than Allen
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I hope so. However, I think we will refrain from signing anyone to any significant deal (multiple years for $2+ mil per) until after the Burrow extension is done.

Basham/Irv Smith/Sidney Jones/Ford/Scharping type deals are fine and can go forward, but a real/proven QB2 might be more expensive (Bridgewater). Might want to see how much riom we have left.

I have a feeling we are gonna load up this year & try to get home field. Eff going to Arrowhead. If Burrow tweaks something, we want a reasonable chance to win.
Reply/Quote
Browning outplayed Allen by a mile in preseason imho.

Not saying he is great but it was odd that he lost the battle.

Seems like the OP said at the time that Burrow preferred Allens input on the sideline. Then pointed out that if Burrow was hurt that the option was still available for Browning to leap frog him from practice squad to starter. Which made me feel a little better about him losing a battle that was obvious he should have won imo.

Glad Bengals are searching to upgrade
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Matt McDonald, BGSU:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-mcdonald-1.html

(04-03-2023, 10:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Browning outplayed Allen by a mile in preseason imho.

Not saying he is great but it was odd that he lost the battle.

Seems like the OP said at the time that Burrow preferred Allens input on the sideline. Then pointed out that if Burrow was hurt that the option was still available for Browning to leap frog him from practice squad to starter. Which made me feel a little better about him losing a battle that was obvious he should have won imo.

Glad Bengals are searching to upgrade

Browning played evenly or WORSE against WORSE competition than Allen.

People just want change for the sake of change.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:27 PM)pally Wrote: The team elevated Jake Browing the last 3 games and in the playoffs just so he could get a game day check.  We're into draft planning mode now and the team has yet to re-sign Brandon Allen.  As much as he is a great locker room guy, hard worker, all around nice person, etc, it was plainly obvious that being an effective back-up QB was frankly beyond his skill level.  

Jake showed some potential during pre-season outings but I don't know if he showed enough even though I think he is better than Brandon.  Maybe with 3 years under his belt Joe doesn't need that veteran presence anymore

He doesn't need the veteran presence but a veteran, that fits this system, would benefit the team should he need to play a game or 4. Going after Rush was a good move, but they shouldn't stop there and settle for a rookie draft pick.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:32 PM)Gary Milne Wrote: Since they pursued Rush, I wonder if there's any interest in Bridgewater.

3 documented concussions in the last 2 seasons.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Browning plays more like Joe then Allen does. Browning has good mobility and can throw on the run well. Allen is a pocket passer with limited mobility.
Reply/Quote
Browning as the #3 in camp behind a rookie draft pick I hope. It would be ideal to lock in a competent backup cheap for 4 years. Just don't Ryan Finley the shit.
Reply/Quote
Aidan O'connell in rd6 for me!
Reply/Quote

I think they saw how important the backup is when Henne took care of business for KC VS Jax in playoffs. Id love to see an upgrade here 
Reply/Quote
Put me in the camp of not wanting a draft pick to be the backup, but if the Bengals do draft someone, I want it to be on Day 3.
A guy I've liked on Day 3 is Houston QB Clayton Tune.
He's accurate but he lacks a cannon. He does have mobility. Very athletic, confirmed not only by tape but also his Combine performance.
His size is pretty comparable to Burrow as well.
Tune - 6'2.5", 220 lb
Burrow - 6'3.5", 221 lb
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 11:18 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Matt McDonald, BGSU:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-mcdonald-1.html

Browning played evenly or WORSE against WORSE competition than Allen.

People just want change for the sake of change.

Thanks for that on McDonald.

Agree that Browning played against worse competition, but I don't think he played worse than Allen, Truck.

I like how Browning uses the pocket and he is not a statue like Allen is. Allen runs into a lot of Sacks.

Browning is also much more of a runner and his game is much more like Burrow in this aspect.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for that on McDonald.

Agree that Browning played against worse competition, but I don't think he played worse than Allen, Truck.

I like how Browning uses the pocket and he is not a statue like Allen is. Allen runs into a lot of Sacks.

Browning is also much more of a runner and his game is much more like Burrow in this aspect.

Jake Browning QB CIN 42/64 65.6 452 7.06 36 1 0 91.4
Brandon Allen QB CIN 28/38 73.7 264 6.94 38 0 0 92.4

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/player/passing/afc/preseason/all/

As I said, the same or worse.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 04:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jake Browning QB  CIN 42/64 65.6 452  7.06 36 1 0 91.4
Brandon Allen QB  CIN 28/38 73.7 264  6.94 38 0 0 92.4

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/player/passing/afc/preseason/all/

As I said, the same or worse.

Thanks for the numbers, I just see a better QB when watching the two play. We will see if the coaches agree this year.

We also know that Burrow has a say in who his backup is as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Put me in the camp of not wanting a draft pick to be the backup, but if the Bengals do draft someone, I want it to be on Day 3.
A guy I've liked on Day 3 is Houston QB Clayton Tune.
He's accurate but he lacks a cannon. He does have mobility. Very athletic, confirmed not only by tape but also his Combine performance.
His size is pretty comparable to Burrow as well.
Tune - 6'2.5", 220 lb
Burrow - 6'3.5", 221 lb

I've been on board for Tune in the later rounds for a while now.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:13 PM)pulses Wrote: I've been on board for Tune in the later rounds for a while now.

Tiger
Really man...Really Pulses.. Ok
Reply/Quote
Apparently they visiting with Trevor siemian tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:44 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Really man...Really Pulses.. Ok

Yes REALLY! I even mentioned him in another thread a while back as well.
Reply/Quote