Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving on from Paul Alexander
Yes, Bengaldom. It’s time. It’s time to move on from Paul Alexander because his offensive lines can’t run block, pass block, or avoid stupid penalties while doing either one. Any observant fan can see the difference in offensive line production between the Bengals and everyone else.

Watching Andy Dalton get dog-piled is getting old. Watching Joe Mixon get stuffed isn’t good either. This team will go nowhere until the offensive line issues are addressed — and for twenty five years the Bengals have had the same coach. He’s the issue. Paul’s technique no longer works in the modern NFL. He came up in the 1990s where defensive linemen were smaller and easily pushed out of the way but the new breed of defensive linemen are big and fast. There are new blocking techniques the good offensive lines* use but Paul doesn’t teach them. He’s stuck in a time warp.

A bad offensive line affects the defensive line too. If the Bengals’ defensive line practices against an inept offensive line, this is ineffective practice. It goes a long way toward explaining the defensive line’s current woes both against the pass and the run. They have it too easy in practice and get pushed around against a real opponent in an actual game.

*Dallas, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and New England
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well unless your name is Mike Brown and your Lumina is parked in Kettering...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Preaching to the choir, the sad, betrayed choir. At least we're not in Purgatory any more. Even false hope is gone now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Why I think they'll move on from PA? It's easier to replace 1 coach than 4 lineman.

A new scheme will be big. Alexander does a really passive blocking scheme here. We need someone to switch to an aggressive scheme.
Reply/Quote
If the line could just do one of the two things well...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Heck, Wyche, myself and many others have been calling for PA to be canned for years.

Back when our line was just "mediocre" not "worst in Bengals history".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Bengaldom.  It’s time.  It’s time to move on from Paul Alexander because his offensive lines can’t run block, pass block, or avoid stupid penalties while doing either one.  Any observant fan can see the difference in offensive line production between the Bengals and everyone else.  

Watching Andy Dalton get dog-piled is getting old. Watching Joe Mixon get stuffed isn’t good either.  This team will go nowhere until the offensive line issues are addressed — and for twenty five years the Bengals have had the same coach.  He’s the issue.  Paul’s technique no longer works in the modern NFL.  He came up in the 1990s where defensive linemen were smaller and easily pushed out of the way but the new breed of defensive linemen are big and fast. There are new blocking techniques the good offensive lines* use but Paul doesn’t teach them.  He’s stuck in a time warp.

A bad offensive line affects the defensive line too.  If the Bengals’ defensive line practices against an inept offensive line, this is ineffective practice.  It goes a long way toward explaining the defensive line’s current woes both against the pass and the run.  They have it too easy in practice and get pushed around against a real opponent in an actual game.

Excruciating!

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:49 PM)McC Wrote: Preaching to the choir, the sad, betrayed choir.  At least we're not in Purgatory any more.  Even false hope is gone now.

See...my threads helped.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:47 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well unless your name is Mike Brown and your Lumina is parked in Kettering...

No way. My name isn’t Mike Brown and I have a Volvo.
Reply/Quote
Move on? My money is on him to be the head coach next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Dude, people have been posting about this for the past 2 years...Welcome to the party.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 08:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No way.  My name isn’t Mike Brown and I have a Volvo.

The only thing MB drives? Is big ole **** up his ***!

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Bengaldom.  It’s time.  It’s time to move on from Paul Alexander because his offensive lines can’t run block, pass block, or avoid stupid penalties while doing either one.  Any observant fan can see the difference in offensive line production between the Bengals and everyone else.  

Watching Andy Dalton get dog-piled is getting old. Watching Joe Mixon get stuffed isn’t good either.  This team will go nowhere until the offensive line issues are addressed — and for twenty five years the Bengals have had the same coach.  He’s the issue.  Paul’s technique no longer works in the modern NFL.  He came up in the 1990s where defensive linemen were smaller and easily pushed out of the way but the new breed of defensive linemen are big and fast. There are new blocking techniques the good offensive lines* use but Paul doesn’t teach them.  He’s stuck in a time warp.

A bad offensive line affects the defensive line too.  If the Bengals’ defensive line practices against an inept offensive line, this is ineffective practice.  It goes a long way toward explaining the defensive line’s current woes both against the pass and the run.  They have it too easy in practice and get pushed around against a real opponent in an actual game.

Yep, because 25 years ago, the Zone Blocking Scheme was cutting edge, and Denver was getting 1000 yard rushing seasons with no-name backs, using cheap, undersized interior linemen.  Paul was able to sell Mike on the idea that the only OL he really needed to spend any money on, were Tackles.  And it worked, for a period of time.  Then, like all things trendy in the NFL, that style was diagnosed by savvy defensive coordinators.

Fast forward to 2017, and the Bengals are still trying to pound square pegs through round holes.

P.S.  Do you think that when Paul sold Mike on his methods, do you think that he did it via Sonata on the Piano?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, because 25 years ago, the Zone Blocking Scheme was cutting edge, and Denver was getting 1000 yard rushing seasons with no-name backs, using cheap, undersized interior linemen.  Paul was able to sell Mike on the idea that the only OL he really needed to spend any money on, were Tackles.  And it worked, for a period of time.  Then, like all things trendy in the NFL, that style was diagnosed by savvy defensive coordinators.

Fast forward to 2017, and the Bengals are still trying to pound square pegs through round holes.

P.S.  Do you think that when Paul sold Mike on his methods, do you think that he did it via Sonata on the Piano?

This post is sheer epic greatness. It explains the problem perfectly.
Reply/Quote
Well, PA obviously lacks the ability to do anything about this situation, otherwise known as the one he created. And he evidently believes if he keeps doing what he's doing, there will come a time when it magically works. I wonder how he can look Andy Dalton in the eye.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 08:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No way.  My name isn’t Mike Brown and I have a Volvo.

Well at least it isn't Marvin and you have a vulva.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, Wyche, myself and many others have been calling for PA to be canned for years.

Back when our line was just "mediocre" not "worst in Bengals history".

THANK YOU, MIKEY BROWNPANTS! You are the one who made the decision to keep PA all these years.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 07:47 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well unless your name is Mike Brown and your Lumina is parked in Kettering...

Mike Brown drives a Lumina? Serves him right!
Reply/Quote
Where is FredToast when you need him the most?
Reply/Quote
My biggest concern is that IF, and that is a huge if, Mike Brown actually doesn't retain his buddy and entertainment that the next OLine coach may not be great either. The main reason being, Brown isn't going to pony up money for a quality OLine coach just like he won't pay for a quality free agent. We will be digging through the bargain bin for the cheapest possible OLine coach money can buy.

Don't get me wrong, I think our OLine could play just as well as they do with Alexander the Great if they didn't even have an OLine coach. I would think almost any OLine coach could do just as poorly. I just don't expect a huge upgrade when Brown is going to be looking for the lowest paid coach he can find.
Reply/Quote