Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Moving the Chains talking about HC's...
(01-05-2021, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That "some podcast" is actually the NFL channel on Sirius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Kirwan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Miller_(quarterback)

Great.  So their position is that to be a great head coach you have to be a great leader?  What's their next segment, water is wet?

What has Zac Taylor shown that leads you to believe he's a great leader?  How does their (obvious) assessment support your opinion of him?

Just for conversation's sake, let's agree Zac Taylor is a "great leader".  Man, I would sure hate to see this team if he was just an average leader.  We may have never won a single game.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Great.  So their position is that to be a great head coach you have to be a great leader?  What's their next segment, water is wet?

What has Zac Taylor shown that leads you to believe he's a great leader?  How does their (obvious) assessment support your opinion of him?

Just for conversation's sake, let's agree Zac Taylor is a "great leader".  Man, I would sure hate to see this team if he was just an average leader.  We may have never won a single game.

You missed the entire premise of the thread, which that a HC doesn't have to start out being a great offensive or defensive mind because those things can be learned. Holding a locker room cannot. 
Reply/Quote
The entire reason Taylor was brought in was supposed to be he his young, innovative offensive mind...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The entire reason Taylor was brought in was supposed to be he his young, innovative offensive mind...

And he's turned out to only be young.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And he's turned out to only be young.

Well he's turned out to be a lot of other things, just none of them good.  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I close to verbatim as I can remember them saying.... "If you aren't good at offensive or defensive playcalling, it doesn't matter, because you can learn those things. What is important is being able to lead a locker room and get them to believe in you. You can be an offensive or defensive genius, but if you cannot lead men then stay a coordinator, because you will fail as a head coach."

Kinda what I said the other day about coaches can get better. It's being able to get a team to buy in that's important.

So blast away, Jim and Pat agree with me. Hilarious  Hilarious

he tried to do too much.... Call plays and be a first time NFL head coach with no play calling or coordinator experience?

WTF were we thinking.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And he's turned out to only be young.

Nah, he's been offensive too. Wink
Reply/Quote
anyone on this board who thinks Taylor and his staff are acceptable NFL coaches or that they are "turning thing around" has not been a Bengals fan as long as those of us who have lived this groundhog day experience for 30 plus years.

Someone tell me this is wrong- No other professional team, no other major college team, no private business venture that has to make a good product to survive in the marketplace  would put up with the continuing and sustained record of failure demonstrated by the Bengals.

This  includes the five years Marvin made the playoffs but basically lost every game he played against the Steelers and never won a playoff game.

And the Marvin era was clearly the golden days of the 30 plus year Mike Brown record of failure.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nah, he's been offensive too. Wink

In a different way, absolutely.

I just have zero faith this guy is ever going to turn this team around. When we start the season out next year 1-5 we're going to be right back where we are now and another wasted season from MB.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with that statement that that is important, but record is the most important.
Players may believe in you and buy into your vision, but if you're not putting out results year after year, it's going to affect revenue/interest.
Fans want to see their team get into the playoffs and ideally win in the playoffs.

Taylor needs to get this team to .500 or above in 2021. No more excuses.

If healthy in 2021, a .500 season would be a failure.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 03:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If healthy in 2021, a .500 season would be a failure.

Taylor's record improved by 2.5 wins from 2019 to 2020.
If we expect the same growth in 2021, it will be 7.0 wins.
2022 would be 9.5 wins.

In an alternative metric, the Bengals more than doubled their win total from 2019 to 2020.
If you take that approach, Bengals should have 9-10 wins in 2021.
And then 18-20 in 2022!
SUPERBOWL!!!!
JoeJoeJoe
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In a different way, absolutely.

I just have zero faith this guy is ever going to turn this team around. When we start the season out next year 1-5 we're going to be right back where we are now and another wasted season from MB.

Keeping Lou tells me Zac still doesn't get it. He desperately needs a veteran, experienced DC at his side...but his ego and stubbornness isn't going to allow that to happen. He decided instead to stick with Lou, a guy who is no threat to him. 

What other NFL team would keep a HC with a .203 win % and a DC who's unit gave up 4,750 yards rushing in 2 years? It would be comical as hell...if this wasn't the team I've spent 36 years of my life rooting for.   Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 03:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Keeping Lou tells me Zac still doesn't get it. He desperately needs a veteran, experienced DC at his side...but his ego and stubbornness isn't going to allow that to happen. He decided instead to stick with Lou, a guy who is no threat to him

What other NFL team would keep a HC with a .203 win % and a DC who's unit gave up 4,750 yards rushing in 2 years? It would be comical as hell...if this wasn't the team I've spent 36 years of my life rooting for.   Sad

This was basically summed up in one of the articles I saw yesterday, saying that Zac and Lou are confidants to each other.  Doesn't feel to me that they're really challenging each other to make their squads better.  Here's the quote from Lap in the SI article: 

Quote:"I do think that there's a heavy and high dose of respect between Zac Taylor and Lou Anarumo," Dave Lapham said. "They've coached with each other in the past and I think they're confidants to each other. They run opposite side of the football ideas by each other. I think they feel like there's trust there."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 11:18 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Remember ZT's comical attempt at leadership when he tried to rally the troops after he got the franchise's knee shredded? Real braveheart shit right there and the team responded...

And look at how they played after.

Leadership comes with success (it's earned). 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 04:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: And look at how they played after.

Leadership comes with success (it's earned). 

but good coaching is not calling bad plays to lose your franchise QB in the first place.
Reply/Quote