Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mowing the Yard
(04-30-2018, 03:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, when you put it that way I guess I need to get this shit done. I hate those hot humid days where I feel like I'm just seconds away from having a stroke.

Right on brother....plus, as it gets deeper into summer, the busier I get.

(04-30-2018, 04:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hey man if you need some outdoor work todo hit me up... I got plenty. haha  (and no time)

LOL....I'm just now getting into the peak of "no time".  I usually get this crap done in March, but the weather would not cooperate.  If the weather is too bad to get this stuff finished, I have time.  Good weather?  50-60 hours or more at work.

I'd say you are swamped....new move, sick spouse and all that comes with that....plus the everyday grind.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right on brother....plus, as it gets deeper into summer, the busier I get.

LOL....I'm just now getting into the peak of "no time".  I usually get this crap done in March, but the weather would not cooperate.  If the weather is too bad to get this stuff finished, I have time.  Good weather?  50-60 hours or more at work.

I'd say you are swamped....new move, sick spouse and all that comes with that....plus the everyday grind.

lol just keeping the front yard tidy so the neighbors don't go all mob on me...

Ill just play around out back when I have the time... And tools
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol just keeping the front yard tidy so the neighbors don't go all mob on me...

Ill just play around out back when I have the time... And tools

I was lucky when I was married.  My wife always kept the front yard trimmed nice and neat.

And waxed the back.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was lucky when I was married.  My wife always kept the front yard trimmed nice and neat.

And waxed the back.

You married a baboon? Isn’t that illegal?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You married a baboon? Isn’t that illegal?

Not in Tennessee.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not in Tennessee.

Now that’s funny shit right there.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not in Tennessee.

In Ohio if you even look the wrong way at a sucking mosquito, you are arrested for illegal incest w/insects. However, charges are usually dropped when prosecuting attorney can’t say it 3 times.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 02:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Has anyone ever called you an over achiever?  LOL!  :)

Don't sleep on Wyche', next thing you know?  He'll have the engine rebuilt in that project car, that you've been meaning to get to.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't sleep on Wyche', next thing you know?  He'll have the engine rebuilt in that project car, that you've been meaning to get to.  Ninja

WOW! We shall henceforth call him Wyche! Damnit, that's already taken, by him? He's good!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 07:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: WOW! We shall henceforth call him Wyche! Damnit, that's already taken, by him? He's good!

It wore me out just reading all the shit he's done.  Wyche is a DIY machine.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
One of my helpful household hints is to use only alcohol free gasoline in small engines. Since I stopped using regular gas with 10% alcohol (or whatever the percentage is ) my lawn mower has never failed to start..  Some people will say to add gasoline stabilizer in regular gas and it might do the trick as well, but the alcohol does condense and leaves water in the tank. 
While on the subject if you don't know where to buy alcohol free gasoline there's plenty of sites to tell you . One is https://www.pure-gas.org
Alcohol free gas cost a bit more ,but unless you're driving your riding mower cross country to Alaska and back it shouldn't break the bank. Alcohol free gas is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new lawn mower and annual or even monthly repairs . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 07:32 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: It wore me out just reading all the shit he's done.  Wyche is a DIY machine.

Wore you out? Wonder how his wife feels? Guy is friggen Spartacus! Probably trims his bushes with a sword?

Reply/Quote
I spent 1hr outside putting weed killer on my gravel driveway behind the mancave. Sonofabitch I had to stop 35% into it due to finger and forearm cramps. Mellow

I need vitamin B (beer).

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 07:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wore you out? Wonder how his wife feels? Guy is friggen Spartacus! Probably trims his bushes with a sword?

Lol, I don't know about all that.  But, I will suggest that you ask him to share a picture or two of his man cave.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, I don't know about all that.  But, I will suggest that you ask him to share a picture or two of his man cave.

If he has a better mancave than me I’m gonna be pissed!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 08:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If he has a better mancave than me I’m gonna be pissed!

I've never seen it in person, but I have seen a couple photos.  It's pretty nice.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My mancave is my shop in the garage where I regularly chop into my fingers with the table saw.. 
Oh yeah, I sliced into my wrist yesterday with the bandsaw.. The VA emergency room is getting to know just a bit too much about my bad habits . lol
Last week it was my finger meeting the table saw blade. This week the bandsaw and wrist . 
I'm taking a break to let myself heal up and cleaning up the shop and getting things organized and perhaps just a tad safer..  This shop injury stuff is for the birds.   Between my finger , wrist and a tetanus shot my left arm and hand is kind of sore.. And.... I mowed the grass today to.. No injuries this time around .  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Have I shown pics of my mancave on here yet? Can’t remember but don’t think I did. I know I said I was gonna, but it never feels complete to me. I still want to add a bathroom and even considered adding on 10ft for arcade games.

Reply/Quote
Did my 6th mow Friday afternoon.

I ordinarily would have only done it once or twice this time of year, but I'm trying a new approach to a weed problem.

I get Hairy Bittercress in the yard in the spring and fall. It's the little weed that develops long stems with 5 or 6 long seed pods which, after drying up, explode at the slightest disturbance thus throwing hundreds of tiny seeds in all directions to grow the next season.

Every spring I go buy an appropriate weed killer to put down at the first sign of the stuff. While some of it does die off, most of it seems to recover and keep the cycle going for the fall. Making a second application almost always kills some of the lawn itself. In the fall, the daytime temperatures are too hot to put it down without doing major damage to the lawn, so it's a perpetual problem.

This year, at the first sign of the little bastards popping up, I decided to take a new approach. I fired up the tractor and dropped the mower deck down to the absolute shortest I can go without damaging the lawn and have been scalping the buggers below the height of the seed pods. I think this might be the D-Day of my war, as I have yet to have any seed spreading where as normally it would be done and over with by now.

I won't be able to use the tactic again in the fall as it could be detrimental to scalp the lawn in that heat, and the shaded areas need to be longer to thrive. But this approach should make a drastic reduction in the fall population, meaning less to combat the following spring. If I keep this regimen up for a several springs I should be able to wipe them out for good.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 10:54 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Did my 6th mow Friday afternoon.

I ordinarily would have only done it once or twice this time of year, but I'm trying a new approach to a weed problem.

I get Hairy Bittercress in the yard in the spring and fall. It's the little weed that develops long stems with 5 or 6 long seed pods which, after drying up, explode at the slightest disturbance thus throwing hundreds of tiny seeds in all directions to grow the next season.

Every spring I go buy an appropriate weed killer to put down at the first sign of the stuff. While some of it does die off, most of it seems to recover and keep the cycle going for the fall. Making a second application almost always kills some of the lawn itself. In the fall, the daytime temperatures are too hot to put it down without doing major damage to the lawn, so it's a perpetual problem.

This year, at the first sign of the little bastards popping up, I decided to take a new approach. I fired up the tractor and dropped the mower deck down to the absolute shortest I can go without damaging the lawn and have been scalping the buggers below the height of the seed pods. I think this might be the D-Day of my war, as I have yet to have any seed spreading where as normally it would be done and over with by now.

I won't be able to use the tactic again in the fall as it could be detrimental to scalp the lawn in that heat, and the shaded areas need to be longer to thrive. But this approach should make a drastic reduction in the fall population, meaning less to combat the following spring. If I keep this regimen up for a several springs I should be able to wipe them out for good.

I’m so friggen tired of dandelions and weeds. I’m stepping it up a notch! Rant

[Image: 1438117425-flameondude.gif]

Reply/Quote