Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mt. Rushmore of Sports figures
(07-24-2015, 03:27 AM)J24 Wrote: Virginia MT Rushmore
Arthur Ash
Allen Iverson
Russell Wilson
Kam Chancellor

AI was fun to watch.  What a great player he was.
Reply/Quote
Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Jim kelly, Johnny Unitas and George Blanda all played for the same conference in high school. The conference covers a 50 mile radius around Pittsburgh, so that's quite the epic "qb only" Mt Rushmore for one small high school athletic conference to boast. And that's just the HOF guys; there have been other qbs with Heismans, Pro Bowls and successful careers that have come from this conference.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think my top three in Ohio would be Pete Rose, Jack Nicklaus, and Cy Young. All three lead their sports in what i consider to be 'lifetime' categories. The 4th one I'm not so sure. Probably LeBron, once he retires and his stats finalize.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 06:09 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I did, yo!

Cincinnati - Rose, Griffey Jr., Staubach, Larkin
Ohio - Rose, Griffey Jr., Staubach, LeBron

I don't see how you'd leave Pete Rose, Ken Griffey Jr., or LeBron James off of any list.  Maybe Roger Staubach....maybe, but not the first 3.

Outside of Rose....Staubach has the most rings....which as we know is the definitive decider of greatness  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 06:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you want those that played in the state we live in or were born/Are from the state we live in?

whatever would be easiest for you.  If the state you live in hasn't been mentioned yet, use that state. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 09:32 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: AI was fun to watch.  What a great player he was.
Dude had sick handles.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
SI compiled lists back in '99 of the greatest sports figures for each state.  There's some names I didn't know were from Ohio, like Branch Rickey, Rollie Fingers, and Alan Page.  Bernie Kosar comes in at #50!  Interesting read.

http://www.si.com/vault/1999/12/27/273982/the-50-greatest-sports-figures-from-ohio

Here's their top ten:

#1 Jesse Owens CLEVELAND
#2 Jack Nicklaus COLUMBUS
#3 Pete Rose CINCINNATI
#4 Archie Griffin COLUMBUS
#5 Paul Brown MASSILLON
#6 Mike Schmidt DAYTON
#7 John Havlicek LANSING
#8 George Sisler MANCHESTER
#9 Marion Motley CANTON
#10 Edwin Moses DAYTON
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 09:32 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: AI was fun to watch.  What a great player he was.

Pound for pound one of the toughest athletes in any sport.  The guy weighed about a buck sixty and his game consisted of taking the ball to the hoop and getting knocked down about 30 times a game.
Reply/Quote
Tennessee

Wilma Rudolph
Oscar Robinson
Reggie White
Thomas "Hitman" Hearnes
Reply/Quote
Maryland:

Babe Ruth
Cal Ripken Jr
Michael Phelps
Bill Belichick
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 10:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pound for pound one of the toughest athletes in any sport.  The guy weighed about a buck sixty and his game consisted of taking the ball to the hoop and getting knocked down about 30 times a game.
Then he went home and knocked down his wife and kids 60 times. Ninja
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote