Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple teams call about Gio
(03-25-2021, 02:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

This is honestly sad given how bad the running game has been.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 03:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but he can chase a ring, depending on who is asking about him.

Either make money or chase a ring. Don't take a pay cut to not chase a ring. Lol

Chase a ring here!

Players take pay cuts all the time to stay with their current teams later in their careers. I personally would like the keep him a Bengal just not at his current cap #. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 02:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

This team is void of talent in quite a few places.  Trade Gio for a 5th round pick and you clear $4M where maybe you can use that to get another OL or WR, or DE.  All 3 positionssotions this team is void of talent in. 

Gio's a great player and teammates, but you can draft a Gio next year and pay him less and he's 10 years younger.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 02:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well if the goal is to stop Burrow from getting Hit...  based on the OL upgrades we made we need Gio in the backfield.

The thing is that before Mixon got injured Gio was only playing 10-15 snaps a game.  He was not a key part of our offense.

Plus Mixon's cap hit more than doubles from $3.8 million last year to $8.1 million this season.  We could afford to pay Gio a lot at RB because we were still getting Mixon at a bargain price.
Reply/Quote
He can pick up a blitzer ( as if you need to blitz against this team ), and can catch out of the backfield. Gio is expensive but I do like him being on the team. Not his fault Bengals gave him a brinks truck.
Reply/Quote
He’s a good blocker... sounds like the Drew Sample defense.

Look, Gio is great, but he doesn’t hold nearly as much value here as he does somewhere else... maybe instead of trying to retain Gio we can teach Mixon and the other backs to grow a pair and block better.
Reply/Quote
I like Gio, I have a hunch this is a message from the Bengals, take a huge pay cut or we will cut you. I doubt seriously anyone else would pay him 4.1 or 4.2 million in 2021, if so they give up a 6th as the best or more likely only a 7th round pick.

I predict no trade partners and they cut him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is honestly sad given how bad the running game has been.

its been poorly used over that last 2 years   minus 1 game last year
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 02:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I like Perine, but Gio is one of the top blocking backs in the league. If we cut him, Burrow will miss him and his blocks. People saying we should trade him need to be ready for that.

I agree 100%. Gio has been great as a blocking back and a solid player for us. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and deal him. I dont think a 5th or lower round pick is good enough compensation.
Reply/Quote
People keep mentioning Gio's blocking but Samaje Perine did alot of the 3rd down blocking in 2020 and had a solid year. The drop off in that area wouldnt be as big as people believe.

The biggest difference is Perine is a Hammer you can use in short yardage and goal lines but doesnt give you the receiving ability Gio does. Of course the receiving is where Mixon comes into it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Gio Bernard to Tampa to give Brady a James White esque running back
Reply/Quote
I remember another board that was THRILLED when slow Rudi Johnson left and they could put fast Chris Perry in the starters role.

Carson Palmer was gone within 5 games as the best pass blocking RB the Bengals have ever had was now gone. Outside of Walter Payton, Rudi Johnson was the best pass blocking RB that I had ever seen. I played QB and almost half of the times that I got hit was because the RB missed his assignment so I notice things like that. Gio is great at reading the pass rush and deciding who to block and he's still not as good as Rudi was.

With Burrow already suffering a big injury, I'd gladly let Gio finish out his contract. He's not costing any of us one penny.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 03:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but he can chase a ring, depending on who is asking about him.

Either make money or chase a ring. Don't take a pay cut to not chase a ring. Lol

I have to think he is worth a 5th rounder.....IMO 
Reply/Quote
And what have the Bengals gotten for $15.9M from it's running game?  24th and 27th in the NFL respectively.   

Again, you can go find a FA running back or heck even a UDFA after the draft at RB and they'll give you the exact same production that Mixon and Gio have given you the past 2 years.  

It's not hard to rank 5th from the bottom in the NFL in the running game.  

Honestly, whenever Mixon's contract is cap friendly I'd cut him as well.  Again, you can draft someone just as good as him at a lesser cost to the cap.   I like Mixon but not for what he's counting against our cap. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 04:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I remember another board that was THRILLED when slow Rudi Johnson left and they could put fast Chris Perry in the starters role.

Carson Palmer was gone within 5 games as the best pass blocking RB the Bengals have ever had was now gone. Outside of Walter Payton, Rudi Johnson was the best pass blocking RB that I had ever seen. I played QB and almost half of the times that I got hit was because the RB missed his assignment so I notice things like that. Gio is great at reading the pass rush and deciding who to block and he's still not as good as Rudi was.

With Burrow already suffering a big injury, I'd gladly let Gio finish out his contract. He's not costing any of us one penny.

Definitely.  With no upgrade at either guard position, it just seems scary to trot Burrow out there without Gio saving his life multiple times a game.

Is he overpaid for a backup RB?  Absolutely.  
Do we need him keep Burrow alive next season?  More than likely. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 04:42 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Definitely.  With no upgrade at either guard position, it just seems scary to trot Burrow out there without Gio saving his life multiple times a game.

Is he overpaid for a backup RB?  Absolutely.  
Do we need him keep Burrow alive next season?  More than likely. 

There are so many other options to protecting Burrow. Improving the line, keeping TEs in to block, using the back as a quick outlet pass... all of these things are solutions. Using Gio as Burrows personal body guard just puts our offense back one player. It’s now 10 vs 11 out there.

Let’s find a different solution to the problem. If cutting Gio gives us money for a FA guard or a TE who we use to block then let’s do it.

We complained for years about being predictable on offense. Keeping Gio and only using him to block is predictable. Shit, I’d we keep him let’s actually use him in more of a diverse fashion. They aren’t gonna do that so let’s get him outta here.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 04:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He’s a good blocker... sounds like the Drew Sample defense.

Look, Gio is great, but he doesn’t hold nearly as much value here as he does somewhere else... maybe instead of trying to retain Gio we can teach Mixon and the other backs to grow a pair and block better.

It's already looking like Burrow won't survive a 2nd season, now you want him to play behind folks "learning" how to block better.....

I don't know about letting him go to sign another db. But if it's in the plans to release him, I hope they trade him and get something

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 04:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's already looking like Burrow won't survive a 2nd season, now you want him to play behind folks "learning" how to block better.....

I don't know about letting him go to sign another db.

See my most recent post. They need to find other ways to protect Burrow, not rely on Gio. They relied on Gio last year and we saw what happened. Why would keeping Gio now result in no year 2 injury?

Look back at the injury. Gio is in there blocking. He does a good job. Didn’t stop the inevitable.
Reply/Quote

The best interests of the team should always come before the individual.

I'd lose all respect for any coach that kept a player simply because that player had his back to the press.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have teams calling about Mixon.
Reply/Quote