Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mundane, lifeless offense
I think the offense coulda/shoulda helped the defense by making Lamar Jackson throw had they been able to score more. The defense was still porous in the middle (despite the whole world knowing that that’s where Jackson would throw to keep it easy on himself) so they did themselves no favors. Additionally, our run stuffing LBers couldn’t keep their running game in check. They played right into our strength (as far as LBers) & we still couldn’t stop them.

I thought we were aggressive in tackling but ineffective at the same time.

Had we built a lead, Jackson woulda had to throw more & that woulda benefited the defense.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 11:24 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The lack of Mixon touches is astounding. I still think there is some sort of recovery process taking place from the knee scope. Seems to disappear late in the game and show up on the injury report for knee issues. There is more to this story than Lazor just being a moron.

I believe someone mentioned the Bears offense earlier in this thread, or another thread. They sure do know how to make things work for them. No name receivers like Bellamy are performing in that system. Guys like Ross would thrive in a system like that. I'm a bit jealous! They also seem to know how to take two backs (Howard and Cohen) and get the most out of them. Lazor should by studying up on what they are doing.... for next season of course.

Agree, Mixon had 12 rushes and 3 receptions ! You have to get the ball to one of your better playmakers more than that. Yes I get it we couldn't run but only 3 receptions ? Gio had 4 catches, not sure how many targets they had together ? But with our best WR out they had to get those two more involved in the passing game, especially Mixon.

Idon't know it just seems our offense was drab and dull ! Other than Boyd throwing the pass it was pretty much straight line up and either out execute them or fail ! Little to no out of the box scheming.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 11:17 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Does Lazor have any other play call on 2nd and long then running the ball right up the middle every 2nd 10 for no yards ? Just gotta throw in a shovel pass there and it would be the Bob Bratkowski offense. Still don’t understand why Mixon can’t play in the two minute offense outside of AJ he’s our best player on offense.

Amen brother when he dialed it up for the 3rd time I quit watching and worked on my house for Thanksgiving.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 09:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Chiefs, Bears, and Eagles are all part of the Andy Reid offensive coaching tree and Reid has always been a pretty solid offensive mind. McVay in LA is arguably one of the best offensive minds in football. Pats have always used a lot of motion to move their receiving corp of slot WR's around to stack them and pick them open.

Honestly, our offensive scheme is probably an average NFL scheme today. Nothing too fancy but it can get the job done when everything is clicking. When we do try some of the motioning stuff however it is funny because people here will call them gimmicks and pointless....if they don't work of course. A lot of that stuff is window dressing to hold defenders eyes, not even make big plays just hold them for later on similar motions. The reality is Hue was doing some of this stuff years ago with the Monster formation where he'd run lineman wide then motion everyone back in, a lot of people here thought it was stupid. The reality is that was a box check, based on numbers inside and out you could run the play or check out but either way ti made defenders think and travel which both tend to cause mistakes.

If you want an innovative offensive play caller, we have one on staff...

Great post and to sum it up it's called making the D play on their heels for parts of a game. Most defenses play on their toes and play downhill against this offense..
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:39 PM)higgy100 Wrote:  Great post and to sum it up it's called making the D play on their heels for parts of a game. Most defenses play on their toes and play downhill against this offense..

Pretty much all defenses, really !

There's nothing to be afraid of or have to react to or counter. We just line up and run the same @$#% over and over. AJ or no AJ they even know what's coming when he's in there. 
Reply/Quote
Poor Lazor has a QB that kills his RPO because Dalton never keeps the ball and runs with it on the RPO option he just sticks the ball in the belly of the RB even if the running lanes are piled full of defenders. Dalton will also throw to a spot weather his WR is there or not. His long ball is just terrible this guy is trash as a QB use to support this bum not anymore. His WR will be running a slant and Dalton throws it to a spot he does not care that the defender is running as hard as he can from the safety spot to break the pass up if he would just let the WR run past the safety before throwing it and throw it out in front of the guy he would make a big play but he has zero football skills other then being accurate at throwing to spots on the field not to the WR. Daltons vision is trash as well he does not look down the field and if he does he does not have the guts to throw it to a guy being single covered. If you think you are going to find guys wide open uncovered you are a simpleton you have to throw it to guys that are being covered all QB have too. Unless you are throwing against our zone defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:58 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Poor Lazor has a QB that kills his RPO because Dalton never keeps the ball and runs with it on the RPO option he just sticks the ball in the belly of the RB even if the running lanes are piled full of defenders. Dalton will also throw to a spot weather his WR is there or not. His long ball is just terrible this guy is trash as a QB use to support this bum not anymore. His WR will be running a slant and Dalton throws it to a spot he does not care that the defender is running as hard as he can from the safety spot to break the pass up if he would just let the WR run past the safety before throwing it and throw it out in front of the guy he would make a big play but he has zero football skills other then being accurate at throwing to spots on the field not to the WR. Daltons vision is trash as well he does not look down the field and if he does he does not have the guts to throw it to a guy being single covered. If you think you are going to find guys wide open uncovered you are a simpleton you have to throw it to guys that are being covered all QB have too. Unless you are throwing against our zone defense.

LMAO. They don't run a RPO..And a QB that doesn't throw to "a spot" in the NFL is a QB that won't be in the league long.

AD was off yesterday on more throws than not. Their entire OL is absolute trash and has been but their OC  is terrible for not slowing down the pass rush more with more screens, draws, quick hitters, etc..Steelers will throw 7-8 quick hitters/quick screens to their WR's a game that work almost as running plays. They get b5-6 yards by mistake on those plays and if a defender misses the one on one tackle or an OL gets a chip on the defender that same play can go for 20 yards. Bengals ran it twice yesterday..
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 11:24 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The lack of Mixon touches is astounding. I still think there is some sort of recovery process taking place from the knee scope. Seems to disappear late in the game and show up on the injury report for knee issues. There is more to this story than Lazor just being a moron.

I believe someone mentioned the Bears offense earlier in this thread, or another thread. They sure do know how to make things work for them. No name receivers like Bellamy are performing in that system. Guys like Ross would thrive in a system like that. I'm a bit jealous! They also seem to know how to take two backs (Howard and Cohen) and get the most out of them. Lazor should by studying up on what they are doing.... for next season of course.

An interesting rushing stat is that the Bengals are tied at 11th in yards/attempt (4.5).

However, they are 28th in yards/game (90.0) as they are last in rushing attempts.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
The injuries have reduced the receivers to Boyd and people with almost no NFL experience. And yet we still run too little and even worse keep rotating the backs which prevents any of them from getting hot. Add in not putting Gio out in more of a receiver type position to at least give us one more pass catcher and it is an open invitation for defenses to tee off on our OL.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:17 PM)Millhouse Wrote: An interesting rushing stat is that the Bengals are tied at 11th in yards/attempt (4.5).

However, they are 28th in yards/game (90.0) as they are last in rushing attempts.

Very interesting indeed 
Reply/Quote
Lots of teams run a prevent defense. The Bengals run a prevent offense.
Reply/Quote
Funny how a team that just lost one of their better receivers has no problem lighting up the KC defense and ours couldn't even get out of their own way.

Our coaching is awful !
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 10:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Funny how a team that just lost one of their better receivers has no problem lighting up the KC defense and ours couldn't even get out of their own way.

Our coaching is awful !

They still have Cooks and Woods out there. Also Reynolds is really good.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals last had life in their offense during the playoff game in January 2016.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 09:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Chiefs, Bears, and Eagles are all part of the Andy Reid offensive coaching tree and Reid has always been a pretty solid offensive mind. McVay in LA is arguably one of the best offensive minds in football. Pats have always used a lot of motion to move their receiving corp of slot WR's around to stack them and pick them open.

Honestly, our offensive scheme is probably an average NFL scheme today. Nothing too fancy but it can get the job done when everything is clicking. When we do try some of the motioning stuff however it is funny because people here will call them gimmicks and pointless....if they don't work of course. A lot of that stuff is window dressing to hold defenders eyes, not even make big plays just hold them for later on similar motions. The reality is Hue was doing some of this stuff years ago with the Monster formation where he'd run lineman wide then motion everyone back in, a lot of people here thought it was stupid. The reality is that was a box check, based on numbers inside and out you could run the play or check out but either way ti made defenders think and travel which both tend to cause mistakes.

If you want an innovative offensive play caller, we have one on staff...

The offensive scheme against the Ravens was very very generic. It looked like something you would see in the pre season trying to looked at the receivers press coverage releases.

Lazor did nothing to attack a press man defense. He continuously attack the middle and strongest part of the Ravens defense with the run game. One screen play, one bootleg, No pick plays, no quick catch an runs with outside blocking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 11:40 AM)Synric Wrote: The offensive scheme against the Ravens was very very generic. It looked like something you would see in the pre season trying to looked at the receivers press coverage releases.

Lazor did nothing to attack a press man defense. He continuously attack the middle and strongest part of the Ravens defense with the run game. One screen play, one bootleg, No pick plays, no quick catch an runs with outside blocking.

Exactly !

It was a lineup and play basic offense and beat them with that or lose. No innovation, no scheming to cover our weakness's, our coaches said sink or swim out executing a drab, dull O.

Were it not for a turnover and failed 4th down attempt I doubt we would have broke 20 points.
Reply/Quote
Basically the injuries to first all the TEs then to Green really restricted the playbook. But really this is where a good OC gets creative, looks at what his players can do as opposed to what they are supposed to do and improvises.
Reply/Quote
my main beef with Lazor was that bubble screen to Eifert it derailed our season
Reply/Quote
I’ve never been a Lazor fan. He was fired as OC in Miami for exactly what is happening here. Predictable and anemic offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 11:40 AM)Synric Wrote: The offensive scheme against the Ravens was very very generic. It looked like something you would see in the pre season trying to looked at the receivers press coverage releases.

He tried a couple quick screens outside that did nothing, but yea basically. I for the life of me can figure out why we don't run more mesh concepts to free Ross up running underneath. It creates natural rubs and gets him the ball in space. It's what the Rams do a ton of and the chiefs do it with Hill as well. 
Reply/Quote