Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murphy
(08-28-2023, 11:10 AM)Garrus Wrote: Should probably wait at least a few years to start calling him a bust. Let the dude learn and grow a bit first.

This is the correct answer. 

I truly think Murphy was picked based on freak athleticism and raw potential. Hes a project player with tremendous upside and the Bengals knew that (hopefully). He's only 21 years old and isnt needed right now (the DL is loaded). 

Give him a year and see what he does next year in camp. If he continues to not flash in camp next year, then ill be concerned. Bengals know what they are doing. It's hard to take an immediate impact player that late in the draft and they drafted for HIGH upside alone with the Murphy pick. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
He'll likely be thrust in there early now with ossai being injured
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:26 PM)Housh Wrote: Not surprised casual fans don’t care about run support from a 1st round DE but seeing all this disappointment in him in this thread is just wrong imo.

Dude made 3 run stops i think against Atlanta and ppl
Are saying he was invisible.

Yeah he didn’t have a splash play but the one play I’d show anyone would be the option play where he came from across the formation to tackle a guy.
It was a 4-5yard gain but it was still a great play because a DE who was less athletic wouldn’t have caught up to the back to even make the tackle so i personally count that as a solid play. Dude seemed very good with instincts in guarding the run.

Issue with Murphy not having pass rush highlights is when you take a DE in the 1st round you are expecting him to be a pass rusher first and run defender second.

Even if you told me Day 1 Murphy would be Sam Hubbard by year 3, I’d still say that’s poor value in round 1. We definitely reached for this kid and no amount of Bengal coach deflecting will make me believe otherwise. Do i think he makes it to our pick in the second round? No. But 1st round was a bit high for him imo.

But the ppl that actually scout as their job said he was a mid-first round talent so I’ll trust Zac ok this one.

It's important to remember that not everyone in these boards is local and able to watch the preseason games.
So those people are really only able to go off stats.

ESPN says Murphy had just 1 tackle in the WAS game, with 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 0 PDs.
ESPN does not list Murphy with any stat for the ATL game.
ESPN does list Murphy with 2 tackles against GB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's important to remember that not everyone in these boards is local and able to watch the preseason games.
So those people are really only able to go off stats.

ESPN says Murphy had just 1 tackle in the WAS game, with 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 0 PDs.
ESPN does not list Murphy with any stat for the ATL game.
ESPN does list Murphy with 2 tackles against GB.

For reference my run stops include him making the tackle himself and if he causes a cutback where the RB was tackled shortly after. I thought i counted 3 good plays. Maybe it was another game but I’m pretty sure it was the Commanders one
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:49 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: He'll likely be thrust in there early now with ossai being injured

Are we sure Ossai is actually going to miss any time? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 05:11 PM)Housh Wrote: For reference my run stops include him making the tackle himself and if he causes a cutback where the RB was tackled shortly after. I thought i counted 3 good plays. Maybe it was another game but I’m pretty sure it was the Commanders one

PFF has a stop stat that is somewhat similar to this, but he only has one stop for the entire pre-season. That puts him at 79th out of 150 ends in stop %.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 05:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: PFF has a stop stat that is somewhat similar to this, but he only has one stop for the entire pre-season. That puts him at 79th out of 150 ends in stop %.

Did all of those ends also miss. game. Murphy was ill and missed our Atlanta game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I was never that high on Murphy. I liked that he's a good run defender but I had low expectations for his pass rushing at least early. I saw this posted and it reminded me the dude has talent and skills you can't teach maybe you wish some of those skills were pass rush moves. But he is young and he can learn thru out the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 09:45 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:
I was never that high on Murphy. I liked that he's a good run defender but I had low expectations for his pass rushing at least early. I saw this posted and it reminded me the dude has talent and skills you can't teach maybe you wish some of those skills were pass rush moves. But he is young and he can learn thru out the year.

This is what I got when I clicked on that tweet: "Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting in a chair for your trouble."
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 05:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Are we sure Ossai is actually going to miss any time? 

I hope not 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 10:13 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I hope not 

Saw on yahoo! It was an ankle sprain and he is expected to miss week 1
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I mean that is one way to get around not having a pass rush bag lol

Just beat dudes to a spot
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 10:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Saw on yahoo! It was an ankle sprain and he is expected to miss week 1

Which typically means more 
Reply/Quote
Y’all are tripping. Murphs gonna be fine. Geez…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote

Let the tape play and he was likely stoned at the point of contact and just waited around to jump to try to bat the ball down.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 06:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Did all of those ends also miss. game. Murphy was ill and missed our Atlanta game.

With percentage stats, that becomes a little less important. He is being judged on his percentage of stops in his opportunities. He does have limited opportunities, so if he had a good game vs. Atlanta it would make it look much better but the inverse is also true. I am sure some of those ends did miss games, though, yes. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 11:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: Let the tape play and he was likely stoned at the point of contact and just waited around to jump to try to bat the ball down.

In the tweet thread he shows the play. He doesn't appear to be getting around but the guard comes over to help and allows Tufele to be one on one and get some pressure.
Reply/Quote