Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Info/Trivia
The topic of this thread spawns from recent info I discovered about a certain song.  

While researching the blues standard song "All Your Love(I Miss Loving)" which was covered by Blues/Rock legend Gary Moore I found that the song was originally written by Otis Rush.  This song's feel and tempo was the inspiration for other future music.  One most notably is "Black Magic Woman".  Most of us know this as a Santana classic sung by Gregg Rolie who would later form Journey with his bandmate Neal Schon.  Probably the most iconic songs of Carlos Santana's repertoire and until his modern Rob Thomas & pop star collabs the most widely known.  What I didn't realize... is this is actually a cover itself.  The original was written by Peter Green who was then the lead vocalist/guitarist of Fleetwood Mac.  So here I go down the Fleetwood Mac wormhole now.  LOL  Now I find that Mick Fleetwood was looking for a replacement guitarist/singer when he discovered Lindsey Buckingham playing in a folk duo.  Mick really wanted Buckingham in his band, but Lindsey insisted that his duo partner Stevie Nicks be included.  Christine McVie was only a session keyboard player for Fleetwood Mac and was in a relationship with their bassist that she married.  The band not only completely changed their sound but their look as well that lead to hits and Grammy success.

I find this kind of stuff extremely fascinating and thought other board members might want to share findings and generate more discussion on music history/trivia/info/whatever.

I'm sure there is a music trivia thread but I thought it was interesting the process in which it leads to the knowledge as well.

Please share what ya got!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 11:15 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The topic of this thread spawns from recent info I discovered about a certain song.  

While researching the blues standard song "All Your Love(I Miss Loving)" which was covered by Blues/Rock legend Gary Moore I found that the song was originally written by Otis Rush.  This song's feel and tempo was the inspiration for other future music.  One most notably is "Black Magic Woman".  Most of us know this as a Santana classic sung by Gregg Rolie who would later form Journey with his bandmate Neal Schon.  Probably the most iconic songs of Carlos Santana's repertoire and until his modern Rob Thomas & pop star collabs the most widely known.  What I didn't realize... is this is actually a cover itself.  The original was written by Peter Green who was then the lead vocalist/guitarist of Fleetwood Mac.  So here I go down the Fleetwood Mac wormhole now.  LOL  Now I find that Mick Fleetwood was looking for a replacement guitarist/singer when he discovered Lindsey Buckingham playing in a folk duo.  Mick really wanted Buckingham in his band, but Lindsey insisted that his duo partner Stevie Nicks be included.  Christine McVie was only a session keyboard player for Fleetwood Mac and was in a relationship with their bassist that she married.  The band not only completely changed their sound but their look as well that lead to hits and Grammy success.

I find this kind of stuff extremely fascinating and thought other board members might want to share findings and generate more discussion on music history/trivia/info/whatever.

I'm sure there is a music trivia thread but I thought it was interesting the process in which it leads to the knowledge as well.

Please share what ya got!

I knew all of the bolded.  I've always like Fleetwood Mac, but there is something special about the Peter Green stuff.  Oh Well was absolutely brillinat, and his experimental blues sounds have influenced many other groups.  His song Green Manalishi, for example, has been covered by Judas Priest and Corrosion of Conformity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 11:40 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I knew all of the bolded.  I've always like Fleetwood Mac, but there is something special about the Peter Green stuff.  Oh Well was absolutely brillinat, and his experimental blues sounds have influenced many other groups.  His song Green Manalishi, for example, has been covered by Judas Priest and Corrosion of Conformity.

I think for someone who has knowledge of early Fleetwood Mac beginnings it is no surprise about "Black Magic Woman". 

However, to the casual listener/fan it's not widely known.

I had heard "Green Manalish" covered by Priest many years ago as well as "Diamonds & Rust" by Joan Baez.  They did a great job on those songs.

"Oh Well" is a fantastic song and probably not even realized it is Fleetwood Mac by most.
Reply/Quote
Not in line with your direction, but something interesting to me was Anton LaVey is seen in the shadows of the Hotel California album. Anton wrote the satanic bible and of course the song hotel California was ritualistic in itself.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 06:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not in line with your direction, but something interesting to me was Anton LaVey is seen in the shadows of the Hotel California album. Anton wrote the satanic bible and of course the song hotel California was ritualistic in itself.

I personally know some people who don't like the satanic undertones of the song.

I just chalk it up as another of "hell mistaken as paradise" that is represented in all forms of literature, art, and music.

The guitar solo is the best part of the song anyway. LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 06:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I personally know some people who don't like the satanic undertones of the song.

I just chalk it up as another of "hell mistaken as paradise" that is represented in all forms of literature, art, and music.

It’s a good tune and I honestly feel most people don’t even understand the lyrics. LOL 

Oddly enough, Stairway to Heaven had backmasking in it that said, “here’s to my sweet satan, the one who’s little path hath made me sad, there’s power in satan.” 

There are so many stories in Rock. I was listening to Ozark Mountain Daredevils earlier on YouTube and I seen a vid titled “Angels in Heaven” by Chris Rodrigues and the spoon lady. Never heard it so tapped it. Very cool.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 06:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not in line with your direction, but something interesting to me was Anton LaVey is seen in the shadows of the Hotel California album. Anton wrote the satanic bible and of course the song hotel California was ritualistic in itself.

I watched a documentary once about the Charles Manson group.  This show revealed some very strong opinions that Hotel California was written in some bizarre way as a reference to old Charlie and the Kids.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 08:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It’s a good tune and I honestly feel most people don’t even understand the lyrics. LOL 

Oddly enough, Stairway to Heaven had backmasking in it that said, “here’s to my sweet satan, the one who’s little path hath made me sad, there’s power in satan.” 

There are so many stories in Rock. I was listening to Ozark Mountain Daredevils earlier on YouTube and I seen a vid titled “Angels in Heaven” by Chris Rodrigues and the spoon lady. Never heard it so tapped it. Very cool.

It doesn't.  I listened to a speech from the purported minister who "discovered" all of these "hidden backwards satanic messages" back in the late 80's or early 90's.  He went on for 20 or 30 minutes on Stairway alone, trying to link virtually every lyric as satanic.  The connections he made were laughable at best.  Then he got into the "backwards messages".  He would try to lead people into hearing what he wanted them to hear by stating what he wanted them to hear first, then playing the clip a few times while saying it over top of the clip, before ever playing the clip by itself.  I can promise you, there was nothing there, just a bad attempt to sway the masses that Rock And Roll

[Image: is-the-devil.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:28 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It doesn't.  I listened to a speech from the purported minister who "discovered" all of these "hidden backwards satanic messages" back in the late 80's or early 90's.  He went on for 20 or 30 minutes on Stairway alone, trying to link virtually every lyric as satanic.  The connections he made were laughable at best.  Then he got into the "backwards messages".  He would try to lead people into hearing what he wanted them to hear by stating what he wanted them to hear first, then playing the clip a few times while saying it over top of the clip, before ever playing the clip by itself.  I can promise you, there was nothing there, just a bad attempt to sway the masses that Rock And Roll

Not to get into P&R here.

But there are now so many songs now filled with debauchery and obvious satanic lyrics it's laughable at this point.

I gotta listen to a backwards record to get that old school evil!!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:35 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not to get into P&R here.

But there are now so many songs now filled with debauchery and obvious satanic lyrics it's laughable at this point.

Check out Face the Music by ELO.  They have a backwards part in the first track Fire on High.  They had been accused of hidden backwards satanic messages, so they went on the offensive and put a backwards message into the song.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:35 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not to get into P&R here.

I agree.  I thought I was hardcore being an AC/DC fan when I was a teenager.  Hell, you could usually make out Bon's vocals.  And Brian Johnson's constipated wailings!
Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 06:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I personally know some people who don't like the satanic undertones of the song.

There are no satanic undertones to the song.  It is about the culture of greed and excess, not Satan.

And the person some people claim to be Anton LeVay is actually a woman.
Reply/Quote
I heard the reason Peter Green got kicked out of the band was because he didn't want to play for money.

He was before his time though a lot like Alvin Lee of Ten Years After. Sad both these guys went an OD'ed as young men.

BTW, great thread Rocker. Will add some more Info/Trivia later. Gotta go watch the Astros tie up the series.
Reply/Quote

Ghost has some interesting songs...  Some sound upbeat if your not listening to the lyrics.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:28 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It doesn't.  I listened to a speech from the purported minister who "discovered" all of these "hidden backwards satanic messages" back in the late 80's or early 90's.  He went on for 20 or 30 minutes on Stairway alone, trying to link virtually every lyric as satanic.  The connections he made were laughable at best.  Then he got into the "backwards messages".  He would try to lead people into hearing what he wanted them to hear by stating what he wanted them to hear first, then playing the clip a few times while saying it over top of the clip, before ever playing the clip by itself.  I can promise you, there was nothing there, just a bad attempt to sway the masses that Rock And Roll

Truth.

Stairway to Heaven is not a satanic song. Robert Plant is a Christian. Jimmy Page of course was interested in Crowley's
castle and thought he was an interesting individual and bought his castle. That is pretty much that, people sure do like 
to make up stories. It is like the media said the band Heart's Annie and Nancy Wilson were lezbo sisters lol
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:42 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Check out Face the Music by ELO.  They have a backwards part in the first track Fire on High.  They had been accused of hidden backwards satanic messages, so they went on the offensive and put a backwards message into the song.

Blue Oyster Cult's songs make you really think they sold their soul to the devil.

I like Jeff Lynn of ELO, hope that isn't the case with him. Love the Traveling Wilburrys with Tom, George, him, Bob and Roy.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Blue Oyster Cult's songs make you really think they sold their soul to the devil.

I like Jeff Lynn of ELO, hope that isn't the case with him. Love the Traveling Wilburrys with Tom, George, him and Roy.

[Image: what-about-bob-movie-quotes-funny.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Blue Oyster Cult's songs make you really think they sold their soul to the devil.

I like Jeff Lynn of ELO, hope that isn't the case with him. Love the Traveling Wilburrys with Tom, George, him and Roy.

I love them too.  I dare anyone to listen to one of their songs and not enjoy it.
Reply/Quote
I'll give another example of investigative music trivia.

There is a classic 70s song by the band Ides Of March called "Vehicle".

It has a very Chicago-esuqe style to it.

The lead singer/guitarist was a musician named Jim Peterik.

JP was also a songwriter & producer that went on to write hits and perform keyboards with the band Survivor.

Yes.  The same band who wrote "Eye Of The Tiger".

What I find most interesting is that he basically wrote most of 38 Special's hits and transformed them into the pop version of southern rock.

Most that know 38 Special are aware that one of the Van Zant brothers was a member of the band too.

It's kind of funny how someone took a Skynyrd tied southern rock band turned them into a pop music crossover.

"Rockin' Into The Night" was actually presented and kicked around with Survivor's members before it was given to 38 Special.

What a weird musical journey Peterik has taken.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth.

Stairway to Heaven is not a satanic song. Robert Plant is a Christian. Jimmy Page of course was interested in Crowley's
castle and thought he was an interesting individual and bought his castle. That is pretty much that, people sure do like 
to make up stories. It is like the media said the band Heart's Annie and Nancy Wilson were lezbo sisters lol

Well I’ll be Lickety split! Your saying they wasn’t?

Reply/Quote