Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My #1 Prospect
1. Jonathan Bullard, DE Florida
2. Kenny Clark, DT UCLA
3. Tre'davious White, CB LSU
4. Michael Thomas, WR OSU

Keeping in mind the Bengals prefer to draft positions in the first round that cost a lot of money in free agency, that way they get those positions on the cheap for several years, I.e. OT, CB, DE, WR and QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 09:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I meant more along the lines of who do we keep. Do we keep Jones and Sanu? Do we re-sign Sims or Thompson? Do we resign Hall? Do we re-sign Nelson and/or Iloka? Our priorities depend on what we can re-sign. 

SINCE WE WILL BE PICKING 32ND,I WANT THE BEST LINEBACKER IN COLLEGE OR WHATEVER HE COMES FROM.WE NEED A LINEBACKER,A CENTER,ANOTHER STRONG CB AND A RECEIVER.A BIG TALL RECEIVER,LIKE 6FT 5IN DUDE AND ALL THESE PLAYERS MUST BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE AFC NORTH,AND STAY HEALTHY
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 08:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: 1. Jonathan Bullard, DE Florida
2. Kenny Clark, DT UCLA
3. Tre'davious White, CB LSU
4. Michael Thomas, WR OSU

Keeping in mind the Bengals prefer to draft positions in the first round that cost a lot of money in free agency, that way they get those positions on the cheap for several years, I.e. OT, CB, DE, WR and QB.

True, but they have gone TE twice in recent history.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 12:18 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but they have gone TE twice in recent history.

And a guard, but those are outliers. It can happen, but a smaller chance if we are trying to guess right. I included a DT, but that might not even be on their radar depending on their feelings about Hardison and Williams. I think we need a bigger body to replace Peko.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:58 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: And a guard, but those are outliers. It can happen, but a smaller chance if we are trying to guess right. I included a DT, but that might not even be on their radar depending on their feelings about Hardison and Williams. I think we need a bigger body to replace Peko.

Exactly.  IF anything, you can rule out DT and DE.  They haven't gone there in ages.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 07:36 AM)TGISunday Wrote:  I like Billings, he's definitely getting some favorable comparisons now (Suh--might be a tad premature).  

Injuries are risks, not just delays.  I certainly see what you're saying, but at the same time I'm cautious about taking  1)ANOTHER cb in the first, and 2) a potential redshirt/injury risk.

That said, if we're looking at Miles Jack around our pick, I may ease up on that belief in a hurry.

Myles Jack will be on his third or fourth beer by the time we pick.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2015, 03:44 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Evan Boehm, Center, Mizzou
6'3" 320 lbs

Former HS wrestling champion and it shows in his play. Plays with a low center of gravity and utilizes his leverage. Strong base. Drives defenders. Plays with a mean nasty attitude. Not the best athlete but he is smart and doesn't waste movement.

I like him.  I truly feel that a player like him is the missing link that holds this offense back from being the most potent in the league.  With a Center of his style, we could finally have some sustained success versus the odd fronts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I want a defensive tackle who can stuff the run and collapse the pocket on passing downs.  With our linebackers we should be stuffing the run at the line of scrimmage pretty  much every play. 

We're not.

Give me Jarron Reed, Austin Johnson or Sheldon Rankins in the first round.  They can all stuff the run, push the pocket and can move laterally if they have to.

I'd be happy if Billings was there too, I just don't think he will be.   And, probably, neither will Reed.

Watching the effect of stuffing the run in the playoffs sealed my desire to have one of those guys #1.

The next position on my agenda is a 3 down linebacker who tackles hard and can cover a dog gone TE/ RB effectively.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 10:58 AM)lostwou Wrote: Its a wait and see what they do in FA first. A lot of players contracts are up. They really need to try and keep Kirkpatrick and Jones.  Hall can be moved to safety. We have a slew of WRs hitting FA. We have 3 spots after that need to be addressed in draft. Center, WR and DL.  I'm all for seriously considering WR Coleman if hes there. He comes close to reminding me of Beckham Jr.  Jones is ok but hes not as good as the hype that surrounds him.  They have to put another threat opposite Green. We need to keep our D together if possible. 

Whitworth is up as well.
Resign him for less and move him to OG? Emergency OT. I think they may let him go create cap space and get an extra pick next draft seems to be there MO.  Also at some point we have got to improve pass rush.
Its all about who falls in the draft. Right now our biggest weak spots are Center and Pass rush. We still have Dennard who should be back healthy. Keep the DBs if possible and focus on a WR, Pass rusher in the middle, and Center. 

Dre was extended I believe as was Zeitler. Whittworth is under contract as well for 2016.
I see WR right now as a big need since Jones and Sanu are free agents. I see DL as an issue because Peko is aging and Thompson, Still, Hunt and others did not pan out well. I like the kid from Baylor if he is available even if se sign Sano or Jones or a position we have needed for years is LB, so if J. Smith slides because of his injury, he would be a best available no brainer to me.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 08:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Given where we will most likely draft and what we may need. Here is the top 3 I'm currently looking at to take in the 1st:

ANDREW BILLINGS/DT/ Baylor- At 6’2” 310lbs Billings broke Mark Henry’s “The Strongest man that ever lived” High School combined power-lift record: 500 bench, 805 squat, 705 dead.  The power we need at the point of attack in the run game.

KENDALL FULLER/CB / VT- Kendall is the most talented of a talented trio of brothers. His older siblings are already playing on Sundays. Kendall recently suffered a season ending injury; given our propensity to bring along draft picks (especially DBs). Kendall makes perfect sense if he declares.

COREY COLEMAN/WR / Baylor - Corey is the only thing this offense is missing (worthy of a first round pick). Compact, jitterbug WR, that excels in the run game. But don't think Corey is just a niche player; he is very productive.

I actually watched Billings and Coleman and thought both were perfect for us, especially Billings.

He seems to be more of a 1T DT but with his strength i don't think it would be a problem.

Coleman was the best WR is saw in college this year, that is how good he looked and his numbers show it.

The Fuller name rolls on, all for it. Good stuff Bfine.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 08:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Exactly.  IF anything, you can rule out DT and DE.  They haven't gone there in ages.

Then we wouldn't of picked Zeitler seeming as we never picked a Guard in the first round in decades...

Oh, thats right...
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 08:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Then we wouldn't of picked Zeitler seeming as we never picked a Guard in the first round in decades...

Oh, thats right...

And got burned.  DeCastro turned out better than Zeitler - and in any event has been a decent but non-remarkable guard.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:35 PM)3wt Wrote: And got burned.  DeCastro turned out better than Zeitler - and in any event has been a decent but non-remarkable guard.

Well, we disagree here. I think Zeitler is the better Guard or atleast will be when it all ends.

Zeitler has been outperformed by Boling as of late but remember that Boling has a few more years in the league on him.

Zeitler is still a top RG IMHO.

Still this doesn't refute my argument that just because we have not picked a DE or DT early in the past does not mean we
will not in the future. This was everyone's argument before we picked Zeitler. We never picked a Guard in the first in ages.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 07:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually watched Billings and Coleman and thought both were perfect for us, especially Billings.

He seems to be more of a 1T DT but with his strength i don't think it would be a problem.

Coleman was the best WR is saw in college this year, that is how good he looked and his numbers show it.

The Fuller name rolls on, all for it. Good stuff Bfine.

Just watched some highlights on Billings.  He won't be there, but if he was I'd take him in a heart beat.  Does it all. 

But what stands out is him taking on double teams, shedding them and stuffing the ball carrier... at or behind the line of scrimmage.  None of this 4-5 yards down field.  And the guy can penetrate and chase ball carriers and QBs from behind.   The guy's a total stud.  He wasn't playing against the top teams, but he looked dominating against Oklahoma State and Texas.  

He would be good enough in my opinion to trade up to get.  He would significantly change our ability to stuff the run and would increase our ability to pressure the quarterback.  And if you give the Bengals offense the ball enough times we're going to put some points up on the board.  Our bend/don't break defense is a successful model, but our D is on the field too long - gassing them and not giving the offense enough opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, we disagree here. I think Zeitler is the better Guard or atleast will be when it all ends.

Zeitler has been outperformed by Boling as of late but remember that Boling has a few more years in the league on him.

Zeitler is still a top RG IMHO.

Still this doesn't refute my argument that just because we have not picked a DE or DT early in the past does not mean we
will not in the future. This was everyone's argument before we picked Zeitler. We never picked a Guard in the first in ages.

I'm glad you disagree about Zeitler as I respect your opinion Nate.  And I hope you're right about that.  I just don't think he stood out in 2015.  Part of the problem is our center, but not all.

And I'll be thrilled if the Bengals break tradition and pick a DT.  There are enough decent prospects that we could do it.  And we've been struggling against the run when it mattered.   I was very disappointed in Thompson and Sims was injured too much.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:44 PM)3wt Wrote: Just watched some highlights on Billings.  He won't be there, but if he was I'd take him in a heart beat.  Does it all. 

But what stands out is him taking on double teams, shedding them and stuffing the ball carrier... at or behind the line of scrimmage.  None of this 4-5 yards down field.  And the guy can penetrate and chase ball carriers and QBs from behind.   The guy's a total stud.  He wasn't playing against the top teams, but he looked dominating against Oklahoma State and Texas.  

He would be good enough in my opinion to trade up to get.  He would significantly change our ability to stuff the run and would increase our ability to pressure the quarterback.  And if you give the Bengals offense the ball enough times we're going to put some points up on the board.  Our bend/don't break defense is a successful model, but our D is on the field too long - gassing them and not giving the offense enough opportunities.

Yeah Billings is a stud no doubt. He reminds me a lot of a bigger Geno. Probably will go before 20.

We would probaby have to trade up but he has had some injury issues so he might slide.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:52 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm glad you disagree about Zeitler as I respect your opinion Nate.  And I hope you're right about that.  I just don't think he stood out in 2015.  Part of the problem is our center, but not all.

And I'll be thrilled if the Bengals break tradition and pick a DT.  There are enough decent prospects that we could do it.  And we've been struggling against the run when it mattered.   I was very disappointed in Thompson and Sims was injured too much.

Zeit did have a poor year this year especially for the high standards he holds himself to. Penalties man, he hurt the team there as well.

He will push himself which is something he does more-so than most players, i expect him to be one of the best on down the line.

Bodine is definately the problem, i hope we get another one in the midrounds atleast to compete but who knows with PA as our OL
coach and the fact he thinks Bodine is great and all and he picked him. One of the main reasons i hope we get a new OL coach.

Doubt it happens but have to hold out hope.

Same here on DT, we are one dominant DT beside Geno from being the best DL in all of football.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Zeit did have a poor year this year especially for the high standards he holds himself to. Penalties man, he hurt the team there as well.

He will push himself which is something he does more-so than most players, i expect him to be one of the best on down the line.

Bodine is definately the problem, i hope we get another one in the midrounds atleast to compete but who knows with PA as our OL
coach and the fact he thinks Bodine is great and all and he picked him. One of the main reasons i hope we get a new OL coach.

Doubt it happens but have to hold out hope.

Same here on DT, we are one dominant DT beside Geno from being the best DL in all of football.

Bad centers can make good guards look bad. Bad guards can make good centers look bad. The Bengals have recent history with both of these issues. Bobbie wasn't too bad in 07 and 08, but he looked awful because he was playing in between Eric Ghiaciuc and Stacy Andrews.

I believe that's the issue that's happened to Zeitler. Yes, he's had negative plays, but there are times it seems that he's trying to bail out Bodine's awfulness and makes himself look bad in the process.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 05:35 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bad centers can make good guards look bad. Bad guards can make good centers look bad. The Bengals have recent history with both of these issues. Bobbie wasn't too bad in 07 and 08, but he looked awful because he was playing in between Eric Ghiaciuc and Stacy Andrews.

I believe that's the issue that's happened to Zeitler. Yes, he's had negative plays, but there are times it seems that he's trying to bail out Bodine's awfulness and makes himself look bad in the process.

He's also asked to pull and when he does, Bodine has to be able to make the block on the NT or backside DT without getting into the pulling guard's lane. He's weak at that and it causes a lot of "negative" plays for the guard. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 05:35 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bad centers can make good guards look bad. Bad guards can make good centers look bad. The Bengals have recent history with both of these issues. Bobbie wasn't too bad in 07 and 08, but he looked awful because he was playing in between Eric Ghiaciuc and Stacy Andrews.

All very true Bengal Dude. Very good post, could not agree more. Rock On
Reply/Quote