Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Concerns
I dont think we could have asked more from the Bengals with their 3-1 start. Im pumped and excited but lets talk about some of the things that worry you or that you would like to see this team improve upon:

1. Im worried about the overall health of this team. Ross, Price, Eiffert, AJ, Gio. The list goes on. Its early in the season and this team is banged up.

2. The defense. Im not really sure why this defense is struggling so bad. They have a TON of talent. I think the defensive line is going to be fine, they have talent - we all know this. The linebackers are another story. Im not sold on Vigil and Brown. Burfict coming back will hopefully be a big lift. Also, the secondary has talent, but they are getting torched at times.

Basically, whats up with the defense? Is it a scheme thing, the way they play, or what? I feel like they have WAY too much talent on that side of the ball to be playing this bad.

Those are really the only two concerns I have moving forward.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont think we could have asked more from the Bengals with their 3-1 start. Im pumped and excited but lets talk about some of the things that worry you or that you would like to see this team improve upon:

1. Im worried about the overall health of this team. Ross, Price, Eiffert, AJ, Gio. The list goes on. Its early in the season and this team is banged up.

2. The defense. Im not really sure why this defense is struggling so bad. They have a TON of talent. I think the defensive line is going to be fine, they have talent - we all know this. The linebackers are another story. Im not sold on Vigil and Brown. Burfict coming back will hopefully be a big lift. Also, the secondary has talent, but they are getting torched at times.

Basically, whats up with the defense? Is it a scheme thing, the way they play, or what? I feel like they have WAY too much talent on that side of the ball to be playing this bad.

I think for injuries, minus the terrible Eifert one, we are actually pretty healthy. Just small injuries.

As for defense.. I have no clue! I think we are showing serious lack of experience in the LB and secondary honestly. Dre and WJ got worked, and the LBs missed some ridiculous tackles. I’m worried about the defense for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont think we could have asked more from the Bengals with their 3-1 start. Im pumped and excited but lets talk about some of the things that worry you or that you would like to see this team improve upon:

Every year I see teams jump out and look unbeatable, so many jump on the bandwagon and think they are going to the Super Bowl. Then, I see teams like New England start out losing 2 of first 4 games, some bad like their loss at Detroit showing major weaknesses, but then they fix the weaknesses and by the end of the year they are great.

My point is to date we have overcome the injuries, we have overcome the defense playing poorly, we have overcome a blocked punt. The great teams overcome injury and whatever is put in their way. The Bengals have an opportunity to be great, but they have to get better in all 3 phases
as the year progresses. They need guys to step in and step up because injuries will happen, it is the NFL and every team has injuries.

I love their grit and never say die attitude. I see their desire to win, I see the fire in AD and many others. It has been fun so far and I think the defense will get better and so will special teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It’s concerning that somebody let Chuck Bresnahan back in the building. That’s the only thing that can explain why the defense looks the way it does, right?
Reply/Quote
One good thing.....the bye comes midseason this year.  I hate those early season byes.....good to get a break in the middle of the schedule to lick wounds.

The defense is concerning.....but they've held when they needed to.  That FG after the blocked punt was a HUGE stand.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This defense is more than worrisome. They are getting worse. We might not win 4 more games if this keeps up as no defense will be worse than Atlanta. And given the core is the same as what Guenther had it has to be scheme/coaching. We were a little better against the run but they ate us up passing again. With this talent to be one of the worse defenses in the league is un-excusable. If we lost that game I suspect everyone would be calling for Austin's head today.

And Dre should be completely embarressed by his performance. Ridley smoked him.
Reply/Quote
Defense is concerning, Im hoping its because of a new system they are learning under Austin.

No doubt our DL is solid, Our LBers will get a boost with #55 coming back and our secondary is average.

With all that said we are a middle of the road defense thats going to rely on our offense to win us games unless we get a constant push from our front 4.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'm mild to moderately concerned about the defense. We have a couple of future HOFers on the DL, and some of the best young talent around to go with them. Why are they not getting to the QB? Are they playing cautious, due to the refs/rule changes? The rushing defense has just been pitiful, hopefully Burfict can help put a stop to the bleeding in that department. The secondary struggling so much is a bit of a head scratcher, as Austin was supposed to come from a DB coaching background.

The injuries are just part of the game. All teams have deal with that problem.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 03:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm mild to moderately concerned about the defense.  We have a couple of future HOFers on the DL, and some of the best young talent around to go with them.  Why are they not getting to the QB?  Are they playing cautious, due to the refs/rule changes?  The rushing defense has just been pitiful, hopefully Burfict can help put a stop to the bleeding in that department.  The secondary struggling so much is a bit of a head scratcher, as Austin was supposed to come from a DB coaching background.

The injuries are just part of the game.  All teams have deal with that problem.

To me, this defensive line is losing the "offenses are getting the ball out fast" excuse now. Atlanta is a good team to get sacks on, because they love big plays. We are NOT getting to the QB, and it is killing us. If we would've played up to our ability yesterday, Atlanta would not have made that game that close. Our pass rush is supposed to be fierce... it's not working. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:56 PM)corpjet Wrote: Defense is concerning, Im hoping its because of a new system they are learning under Austin.

No doubt our DL is solid, Our LBers will get a boost with #55 coming back and our secondary is average.

With all that said we are a middle of the road defense thats going to rely on our offense to win us games unless we get a constant push from our front 4.

I don't think our D is middle of the road, more like in the driveway, trying to figure out how to get it started...
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are currently 30th in defense. 29/pass 22/run 24/pts.

You won't win the division or a playoff game with that defense, let alone anything else.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: One good thing.....the bye comes midseason this year.  I hate those early season byes.....good to get a break in the middle of the schedule to lick wounds.

This

Plus, we have zero short weeks due to Mon/Thu games and we only have 5 road games in the remaining 13 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:50 PM)yang Wrote: This defense is more than worrisome. They are getting worse. We might not win 4 more games if this keeps up as no defense will be worse than Atlanta. And given the core is the same as what Guenther had it has to be scheme/coaching. We were a little better against the run but they ate us up passing again. With this talent to be one of the worse defenses in the league is un-excusable. If we lost that game I suspect everyone would be calling for Austin's head today.

And Dre should be completely embarressed by his performance. Ridley smoked him.

DreK is a major problem with this defense,always has been and always wil.He also misses more tackles than anyone and cannot catch the ball.One of the worst corners I have ever seen play nfl football.
Reply/Quote
It is concerning, but I think a lot of it is a new scheme. They need to continue fighting and it will become more instinctual. Dre disappoints me and he should be playing much better than he is. We relatively have a lot of new players getting used to each other out there. It will get better. I don't think they have a good balanced plan for the run or pass game. It's either one or the other. Atlanta is pretty high powered. However, the thing that stood out the most to me yesterday was the poor tackling. This had to be a lack of focus and a lot of confusion. Total 180 from what we've seen.

Reply/Quote
I haven't seen not one down where a cornerback pressed properly and that's Definitely a coaching issue..when our corners come up in press technique they instantly go to a bailout technique not getting a jam to disrupt the timing of the receiver,this is killing us too many easy completions...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 03:51 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I haven't seen not one down where a cornerback pressed properly and that's Definitely a coaching issue..when our corners come up in press technique they instantly go to a bailout technique not getting a jam to disrupt the timing of the receiver,this is killing us too many easy completions...

Im kind of with you on this. I just feel like the middle of the field is always so open and the coverage is so soft. Im not sure if we are playing man or zone or what but there are guys that are just left wide open. There was a play on Sunday where Julio was literally line up with no one covering him, ran straight, and they threw him the ball for a 10 yard gain untouched. 
Reply/Quote
I am concern regarding linebackers and Williams at safety. Kirk has his moments but is not a number 1 CB. It seems that the D-Line is not getting sacks but they are getting pressures which is valuable. I think the new rules have caused Austin's style of aggressive defense some pause.

RT remains an issue for me. Hart gets blown up. I wish they would give Westerman a chance at RG.

Every team suffers injuries. Losing Eifert is sad. I feel for the guy. But in all honesty, I did not expect him to play the full season. I just go by past history. Sometimes I feel the team has so many holes, yet they win. Burfict joining the team will take a couple weeks to get into his thing but I think he brings it to Pittsburgh. Burfict is the heart and soul of this defense. He will bring the missing attitude adjuster.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 04:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am concern regarding linebackers and Williams at safety.  Kirk has his moments but is not a number 1 CB.  It seems that the D-Line is not getting sacks but they are getting pressures which is valuable.  I think the new rules have caused Austin's style of aggressive defense some pause.  

RT remains an issue for me.  Hart gets blown up.  I wish they would give Westerman a chance at RG.  

Every team suffers injuries.  Losing Eifert is sad.  I feel for the guy.  But in all honesty, I did not expect him to play the full season.  I just go by past history.  Sometimes I feel the team has so many holes, yet they win.  Burfict joining the team will take a couple weeks to get into his thing but I think he brings it to Pittsburgh.  Burfict is the heart and soul of this defense.  He will bring the missing attitude adjuster.

I just hope the dude is in shape and ready to go. I also hope he stays healthy and plays smart. My biggest concerns regarding him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 03:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It is concerning, but I think a lot of it is a new scheme. They need to continue fighting and it will become more instinctual. Dre disappoints me and he should be playing much better than he is. We relatively have a lot of new players getting used to each other out there. It will get better. I don't think they have a good balanced plan for the run or pass game. It's either one or the other. Atlanta is pretty high powered. However, the thing that stood out the most to me yesterday was the poor tackling. This had to be a lack of focus and a lot of confusion. Total 180 from what we've seen.

How long do new schemes typically take to gel, Harley?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 04:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just hope the dude is in shape and ready to go. I also hope he stays healthy and plays smart. My biggest concerns regarding him. 

Can't really count on Burfict to complete 16 game season.  If Burfict makes any kind of hard hit, the refs will be all over him. Unlike #27 from Falcons who seemed to lower his head on most plays.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote