Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Conspiracy Theory Rant
The National Fixed League (NFL) suspends #55 for the 2nd highest amount of games (3) for an on field infraction ever. He has never been suspended before in his NFL career and is considered a first time offender yet gets the 2nd highest amount of games ever in the history of the league. The hammer was dropped just 2 days after the game was played and the call on the field was arguably a legal hit. Not only does the NFL prematurely drop the hammer, they double down and stand behind their decision after a month to think about it. They chose to make an example out of #55 whether right or wrong. Then they willingly let Talib rip a guys head off inside the 5yd line during the biggest game of the year since he knew it wouldnt cost his team much and admitted that's what he was doing after the game, yet its been 5 days and no suspension. This isnt Talib's first rodeo either. He was suspended earlier in the year for poking a guy in the eye after the play in front of a ref and has a reputation similar to #55 as far as being a bone head. Roger makes 40+ mil a year. The refs arent even full time employee's. Think about that for a second, arguably one of the most important parts of the final outcome of games isnt even a full time employee. I read as a whole the refs make roughly 3.2 mil a year (total between all of them!). Why cant they have 10 guys sitting behind a computer for every game watching tape / replays / multiple angles etc and less on field calls and refs to get in the way. With a crew watching the games live it could be done in a very timely manner (similar to watching replay on tv but maybe even faster). This would cut down on bad calls, let them radio down to on field refs if they got a call wrong, or missed a call. The onfield refs cant even get it right half the time anyways. The National Fixed League is calling games now based off of slowed down to a single frame replay shots so why not adapt to it and have a bunch of tech guys sitting behind computer screens? Or scrap the slowed down multiple frame replay crap and call it how you see it in live game action. Its so easy to manipulate a play how you want it to be called when you have all of these slowed down replay angles and hd technology and only one or two guys calling the shots. I say it every year but after the Bengals Steelers game this year I'm really fed up. I'm losing interest in the game. It's the same shit different day every week with Cincy getting called but not called for them. It's like Groundhog day. Which leads me to my conspiracy theory that the league is fixed. Why wouldnt the NFL make these changes if its such a controversy every year? It would be so easy to implement and would produce a much better outcome of the games. I honestly think Vegas runs the show behind the scenes and its very easy to manipulate these games how they want. I'm not saying full out WWE pick the winner before the game starts, but a few calls here and there if they come up to help sway the momentum one way (calls that would be easy to miss or call even if its not correct such as holding, pass interference, catch/no catch etc that can be drive killers or spark the momentum of a drive) . It would be so easy to do. A few refs, a few executives and owners on board is all it would take. No one else would know. They Players, coaches, team employee's etc all not in the loop. You're talking about billions of dollars at stake so the risk is worth the reward. When you look at the first 50 super bowl winners and only 19 teams have won it all out of 32 teams in a league that is built to be evenly matched with a salary cap and designed to help the bad teams become good with the way the draft is set up, it just doesnt add up. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
A paragraph (from the Ancient Greek παράγραφος paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. A paragraph consists of one or more sentences.[1][2] Though not required by the syntax of any language, paragraphs are usually an expected part of formal writing, used to organize longer prose.
Reply/Quote
Yes, sometimes it seems as if the fix is in in the NFL. But we did shoot ourselves in the foot in playoffs despite the referee bias.

Makes it much tougher though beating steelers and refs.

Agree with second poster as well though. "Paragraphos" would be easier to read.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
To your actual points: Yes, it is incredibly unfair that Vontaze is the one who is being made an example of, but it is because he was the most agregious offender in a game that was marred with ridiculous play and an over the top, out for blood crowd.

Now it's important that after reading that last line, you really comprehend the next one.

I personally had 0 issue with how physical the game was, nor how emotional the crowd was. In my opinion, that was good, hard, old fashioned AFC North division football between two blood rivals. I wish more games were that hotly contested, but...

The NFL is obsessed with the "casual fan". For right or wrong, they want to indoctrine people who aren't die hards into NFL fans, whether globally or domestically, generally at the downfall of the experience for the die hards. Look no further than the ridiculously imbalanced rulebook between offense and defense, the shot sighted way they handle breast cancer awareness  (we care about women, but only for this one month, please buy our vast supply of ladies replica jerseys in pink!)

So when you have a guy like Vontaze, with his history which gets brought up ad nauseum by the announce team (usually with a "highlight" package) everytime he is shown on camera, who then goes out and "brutally" (not my term, heard it from a casual) concusses another player, it's a problem. Then, when the media runs with that story all night and the next few days, overshadowing other playoff games, it's a huge problem. So Goodell does what he always has, he goes overboard to show people that he's a tough Commish and these things won't happen on his watch.

They dirty not-so-little secret being, of course, these things CONSTANTLY happen on his watch. He is an absolute disgrace and if not for Gary Bettman and his 3 work stoppages, Roger would be the absolute worst commision in sports.

The punishments are a joke, the over complicated rulebook is a joke, the fact that Joe Bob and Ace down at the hardware store can be NFL officials and still have their full 40hrs during the week is a joke, PR is a nightmare. But they are printing more money than both the damn mints. So why would it change?
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry about the grammar and non-paragraph form.

This freaking game has ruined my life. I still cant get over it. I'm trying to find closure and I decided to post / rant about it. I am a lurker from the original Bengals board but have not really posted much. I love the info and insight here though!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 02:34 PM)jcfreeman0 Wrote: I'm sorry about the grammar and non-paragraph form.

This freaking game has ruined my life. I still cant get over it. I'm trying to find closure and I decided to post / rant about it. I am a lurker from the original Bengals board but have not really posted much. I love the info and insight here though!

YOu need serious help 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 02:34 PM)jcfreeman0 Wrote: This freaking game has ruined my life.

Remember, it's a GAME.  Just like you have written in the very line that I quoted.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 01:40 PM)jcfreeman0 Wrote: The National Fixed League (NFL) suspends #55 for the 2nd highest amount of games (3) for an on field infraction ever. He has never been suspended before in his NFL career and is considered a first time offender yet gets the 2nd highest amount of games ever in the history of the league. The hammer was dropped just 2 days after the game was played and the call on the field was arguably a legal hit. Not only does the NFL prematurely drop the hammer, they double down and stand behind their decision after a month to think about it. They chose to make an example out of #55 whether right or wrong. Then they willingly let Talib rip a guys head off inside the 5yd line during the biggest game of the year since he knew it wouldnt cost his team much and admitted that's what he was doing after the game, yet its been 5 days and no suspension. This isnt Talib's first rodeo either. He was suspended earlier in the year for poking a guy in the eye after the play in front of a ref and has a reputation similar to #55 as far as being a bone head. Roger makes 40+ mil a year. The refs arent even full time employee's. Think about that for a second, arguably one of the most important parts of the final outcome of games isnt even a full time employee. I read as a whole the refs make roughly 3.2 mil a year (total between all of them!). Why cant they have 10 guys sitting behind a computer for every game watching tape / replays / multiple angles etc and less on field calls and refs to get in the way. With a crew watching the games live it could be done in a very timely manner (similar to watching replay on tv but maybe even faster). This would cut down on bad calls, let them radio down to on field refs if they got a call wrong, or missed a call. The onfield refs cant even get it right half the time anyways. The National Fixed League is calling games now based off of slowed down to a single frame replay shots so why not adapt to it and have a bunch of tech guys sitting behind computer screens? Or scrap the slowed down multiple frame replay crap and call it how you see it in live game action. Its so easy to manipulate a play how you want it to be called when you have all of these slowed down replay angles and hd technology and only one or two guys calling the shots. I say it every year but after the Bengals Steelers game this year I'm really fed up. I'm losing interest in the game. It's the same shit different day every week with Cincy getting called but not called for them. It's like Groundhog day. Which leads me to my conspiracy theory that the league is fixed. Why wouldnt the NFL make these changes if its such a controversy every year? It would be so easy to implement and would produce a much better outcome of the games. I honestly think Vegas runs the show behind the scenes and its very easy to manipulate these games how they want. I'm not saying full out WWE pick the winner before the game starts, but a few calls here and there if they come up to help sway the momentum one way (calls that would be easy to miss or call even if its not correct such as holding, pass interference, catch/no catch etc that can be drive killers or spark the momentum of a drive) . It would be so easy to do. A few refs, a few executives and owners on board is all it would take. No one else would know. They Players, coaches, team employee's etc all not in the loop. You're talking about billions of dollars at stake so the risk is worth the reward. When you look at the first 50 super bowl winners and only 19 teams have won it all out of 32 teams in a league that is built to be evenly matched with a salary cap and designed to help the bad teams become good with the way the draft is set up, it just doesnt add up. Thoughts?

Lost in your incoherent babbling is any semblance of logic. 

You assert that there could be a small contingent of refs,  owners and execs in on a fix.

But, what about the fact that playoff and super bowl refs are not even announced or set until a few weeks prior.

What about if Hill just didn't fumble, the Bengals win.  People who scream conspiracy are pathetic, uneducated trolls.  

And Yeah,  david tyrees catch was definitely scripted  same with von millers sack/fumble.
Reply/Quote
Agreed, let's put this season in the books and start getting ready for next season. So much going on and so much to talk about.

On the rant, so glad to see Bengals Fans are passionate and fired up.
Reply/Quote
He is not a first time offender. he was fined four times this season. Compare to james Harrison, who received a suspension after two fines. Taze is lucky he was not suspended earlier in the season, that's where the precedent is... but you conveniently ignore that.

The NFL is inconsistent, yes. Taze's suspension is probably too long... but it also is odd he wasn't sat down before this. It cuts both ways, and it doesn't strike me as a "fix" whatsoever. Just inconsistent as it has always been.
Reply/Quote
We just don't have the owner to stand up to the league which is why our players get schooled, while the Rooney's and other owners are more influential. Burfict was suspended two days after the wildcard game. Talib?..... A repeat offender, and one that was suspended for just 1 game after being a repeat offender then....... Well he'll likely get a fine.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Is it possible that an individual ref could be bought off? Yers. and no matter how you change the system that will still be true.

Is the NFL in on any fix? No way. And the reason is that they have no need to be in on any fix. they are making tons of money even if the game is not fixed, so there is no way they all (and they would all have to be in on it) are fixing games.

As for Goodell's record on discipline I agree it has been a mess, But Burfict is far from a first time offender. And that game was not a normal game. before it even started the league was dealing with accusations that they had let the previous Bengal/Steeler game get out of hand.

PLus it was a dirty hit by Burfict. I was extremely upset that Shazier was not called for a penalty on his hit on Gio, but I could not complain about the hit by Burfict. He dipped his shoulder for the hit after it was clear that Brown could not make the catch. A player can't do that anymore.
Reply/Quote
Number 55 definitely got screwed, no doubt about it.

As for the NFL conspiracy theory conversation, I'm not on board with that. But it is possible for certain referees to be bought off or swayed. And in looking back at that Pitt / Bengal game, the little fat back judge seemed to be right in the thick of the controversy every time. I believe he not only threw both flags at the end of the game but also ruled the touchdown good for Martavius Bryant. Yeah, the one the NFL game back and said it was a no catch.... but couldn't overrule because it was inconclusive.
Reply/Quote
I'm past the pain phase and anger phase and on to the recovery phase. Smirk As hard as the playoff L's are to stomach, there's plenty to be positive about right now:

1. The core players of this team are still pretty young and they're all locked up for awhile. Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict, Boling, MJ90 etc. Eifert is controllable for 2 more years.

2. Look around the league. Who in the AFC is in better shape than the Bengals for the next 3-4 years? The Broncos have no QB and that will catch up to them at some point. They did it with smoke and mirrors this year. Tom Brady will be 39 this year. The Steelers will probably be there, but I think we're in a better spot than them. Other than that, which teams are clear contenders?

3. Dalton took a giant leap last year and played like an elite QB. I'm not sure if he can maintain it, but regardless, we're in a good spot at the most important position in the league. With Peyton and Brady nearing the end, Dalton is a good candidate to take over the spot as best QB in the conference. Yes, I think he could be better than Ben. He definitely was this season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest; Burfict should have gotten this suspension after what he did to Newton and Olsen last year.
Reply/Quote
I have little doubt there is fixing in games. I'm not sure where it originates, but there are millions upon millions wagered every year and game on football. It's no revelation that gambling tends to attract the criminal element. I have no idea if the league is behind it or if refs are involved or if certain players are involved, but there is just too much money available out there for there to not have a certain level of fixing going on.
Think about it..say for example a corner is offered a few cool million to let a reciever catch a ball and win the fantasy jackpot for the week.. That would be more than easy enough to do..miss a tackle here and there, fall down and be injured for a few plays. There's no limit to the availability to let plays happen and I'm not just picking on corners because any position can fail to make a certain play.
Everyone has seen games where the defense looks like they couldn't tackle a ref much less a running back and offenses look like there's no possible way they could ever score..

Oh well..all I know is I'm not going to be offered millions to throw a game..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There's no fixing games, just favoritism to certain Owners. Davis like Brown was contrary, and voted against everything. But Davis stood up for his team spoke out against atrocities and attacks on them. Brown doesn't, and that leaves his teams at the mercy of the league. A league with a thin skinned and desperate for credibility Commissioner looking to wield power and show strength, and he's found it in a toothless and clawless Owner named Mike Brown. This one is on Brown for not having the gull to stand up for his players and team. Marvin can't do it all. Poor guy traveling around League headquarters trying to work with Goodell on behalf of Burfict like an Owner would have been anywhere else. He certainly can't put public pressure on Goodell like strong Owners have (Kraft, Bisciotti, and Irsay) and won.

Hey Mike Brown....Quit picking fights with the league and then disappearing as the league manhandles your organization in response. Nobody likes that one person that votes no to everything. But nobody really likes that one person if they don't have the guts to fight and stand up to those who frowned upon those tactics, and use it against working with you.

And quit sending Marvin to do the dirty work. Maybe that's why he can't win a playoff game. He needs to coach. Not be the GM, de facto Owner, crisis manager, team psychologist etc.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 04:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have little doubt there is fixing in games. I'm not sure where it originates, but there are millions upon millions wagered every year and game on football. It's no revelation that gambling tends to attract the criminal element. I have no idea if the league is behind it or if refs are involved or if certain players are involved, but there is just too much money available out there for there to not have a certain level of fixing going on.
Think about it..say for example a corner is offered a few  cool million to let a reciever catch a ball and win the fantasy jackpot for the week..  That would be more than easy enough to do..miss a tackle here and there,  fall down and be injured for a few plays. There's no limit to the availability to let plays happen and I'm not just picking on corners because any position can fail to make a certain play.
Everyone has seen games where the defense looks like they couldn't tackle a ref much less a running back and offenses look like there's no possible way they could ever score..

Oh well..all I know is I'm not going to be offered millions to throw a game..

I don't know.  In football you would have to have more than one guy involved unless it was the QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 05:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: There's no fixing games, just favoritism to certain Owners. Davis like Brown was contrary, and voted against everything. But Davis stood up for his team spoke out against atrocities and attacks on them. Brown doesn't, and that leaves his teams at the mercy of the league. A league with a thin skinned and desperate for credibility Commissioner looking to wield power and show strength, and he's found it in a toothless and clawless Owner named Mike Brown. This one is on Brown for not having the gull to stand up for his players and team. Marvin can't do it all. Poor guy traveling around League headquarters trying to work with Goodell on behalf of Burfict like an Owner would have been anywhere else. He certainly can't put public pressure on Goodell like strong Owners have (Kraft, Bisciotti, and Irsay) and won.

Hey Mike Brown....Quit picking fights with the league and then disappearing as the league manhandles your organization in response. Nobody likes that one person that votes no to everything. But nobody really likes that one person if they don't have the guts to fight and stand up to those who frowned upon those tactics, and use it against working with you.

And quit sending Marvin to do the dirty work. Maybe that's why he can't win a playoff game. He needs to coach. Not be the GM, de facto Owner, crisis manager, team psychologist etc.

This i9s ridiculous.

Kraft stood up to the NFL and his team got raped.  They lost draft picks over something that was supposed to be like a $25K fine.

The Ravens supported Ray Rice and Goodell ended his career.

The way the Bengals get treated has nothing to do with mike Brown being docile.
Reply/Quote
Kraft stood up to the league over Brady. He accepted his punishment for the picks (he later regretted it, but got his way with Brady playing). Ravens and Colts are the reason deflategate is what it is. A downright backdoor sting operation that any fair Owner should have sent a memo or a warning to teams once the original accusation took place. He didn't. He teamed up with them. Deflate gate ruined the relationship between Goodell and Kraft, but no denying they were best buds.

Goodell tried to help Ray. The public outcry ended his career. Why do you think he only got 2 game (less then Burfict) initially?

This is an Owner driven league. Foolish to think otherwise. We don't have a Owner that is well liked and the organization pays for it.

We can go on and on, but your wrong if your telling me Owners like the Rooney's and such don't have more influence over the League then Mike Brown. And your wrong if you think the reason isn't because of his contrary ways. At least Davis was a fighter.

Brown has allowed one playoff game to set back his team a decade. We came so far from the bad boy arrest jokes and if you haven't noticed the media has sided with the Steelers and we have lost all control of the narrative.

Don't believe me. Check this example. The comments represent fans opinions on Burfict and the Bengals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/12/burficts-suspension-is-second-longest-ever-for-on-field-actions/

Steelers for all their tactics have once again come away clean and unscathed.

We have a spineless owner and the failures of the organization over the last couple decades starts there.

Reply/Quote