Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Coworker is CONVINCED
(02-20-2020, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ya know, I've never actually checked out our P&R forum.
I'm honestly scared to go in there and I'd probably end up liking a lot of people less if I do, so I'll stay out haha.

Same here..Nothing personal, but I'm not super interested in most peoples political nor religious views about much of anything.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:38 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There is a post going around another message board I'm on about what the Bengals should do with the first pick. Some of the more respected insiders  (including a former Bengal) weighed in and all agree they should either draft Chase Young or trade the pick for lots of picks. Their reasons were:

1- When drafting #1, you take the most sure thing. They all think Young will be an All-Pro/HOF type player.
2- They think you can get QBs at other places in the draft/free agency. They sited that only 1 QB drafted 1st overall in the last 20 years has won a Superbowl.
3- Just a year ago, Burrow wasn't thought of as a pro-prospect. His lack of success until this 'advanced age' scares them off. Said his ceiling is Andrew Luck but he could be another Mitch Trubisky - one year wonder.
4- Listed quite a few high drafted QBs that flamed out because of bad Offensive Lines. Said the Bengals line is horrible and they should build up the team first. Listed KC, SF, & Balt as teams with either 2 Pro-Bowl tackles or 2 1st round tackles starting on O-line.

1.  This has never been the case and probably never will be.  Almost every year a lower ranked player goes number 1 overall simply because he is a QB.

2.  Don't agree at all with that.  When have we had a Super Bowl winner that wasn't drafted by the team?  Brees comes to mind.

3.  The lack of success isn't completely accurate.  If you watch Burrow's last 5 or 6 games, you can see the light come on and he played very good - in a horrible scheme.  He's not a one year wonder.  

4.  Jonah Williams was the first tackle taken last year.  Hopkins has been a solid to above average center.  There are some spots that need addressed, but we have seen some promise from the young guys (Jordan and Johnson).  The line can be addressed in round 2, 3 and if necessary round 1 next year.

Whenever I hear the term "build up the team" I just laugh.  The only part of the team that affects the QB is the offense.  And right now, the Bengals have a lot of talent at the skill positions on that side of the ball.  Plus, you build up the team and it will cost a fortune to move up and take a top QB.

You take the QB and build around him.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton played good in big games in college.  His senior season TCU won the Rose Bowl finished undefeated and ranked #2 in the country.

Burrow lost as many games in his final two seasons (25-3) as Dalton did in his final three seasons (34-3)

Wow, you dissing the SEC now Freddy Boy?

(02-20-2020, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ya know, I've never actually checked out our P&R forum.
I'm honestly scared to go in there and I'd probably end up liking a lot of people less if I do, so I'll stay out haha.

Be scared and stay that way...
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No such thing as a "Sure thing" in the Draft.
I would be ok with taking Young, but what's the point? If we have no intent to take Burrow, then we best be trading back and getting as many picks as we can to rebuild the team.

But for all of their insider info, none of that matters, we're dealing with MB here. He will take his QB, fill the seats and be happy for the next 4-5 years.

Barring injury, I disagree that there is no such thing as a sure thing in the draft. They're rare, but they exist. AJ Green and Julio were. The Bosas... Those are just off the top of my head. I don't think Burrow falls into that category, but I think he's got a good shot to be very good to great... He could suck though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 09:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, you dissing the SEC now Freddy Boy?

Be scared and stay that way...

1,000% yes
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 07:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 1.  This has never been the case and probably never will be.  Almost every year a lower ranked player goes number 1 overall simply because he is a QB.

2.  Don't agree at all with that.  When have we had a Super Bowl winner that wasn't drafted by the team?  Brees comes to mind.

3.  The lack of success isn't completely accurate.  If you watch Burrow's last 5 or 6 games, you can see the light come on and he played very good - in a horrible scheme.  He's not a one year wonder.  

4.  Jonah Williams was the first tackle taken last year.  Hopkins has been a solid to above average center.  There are some spots that need addressed, but we have seen some promise from the young guys (Jordan and Johnson).  The line can be addressed in round 2, 3 and if necessary round 1 next year.

Whenever I hear the term "build up the team" I just laugh.  The only part of the team that affects the QB is the offense.  And right now, the Bengals have a lot of talent at the skill positions on that side of the ball.  Plus, you build up the team and it will cost a fortune to move up and take a top QB.

You take the QB and build around him.

Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Steve Young as well as Peyton Manning with the Broncos.

Also, if we're being technical, Eli Manning since he was drafted by the Chargers Tongue.

But Brees and Peyton were the only ones who had an established career, changed teams and then won a Super bowl. It's not common at all.
Reply/Quote
It is another rumor by influencers involved with the Dolphins. Burrow is the surest thing in a QB this draft. Quit beating a dead horse about criticizing Burrow. The fact the Media are pissed he is going to Bengals as well as some members in the AFC North and Dolphins, it shows Burrow is the real deal.

If QB are so easily replaced why are the Bears talking about getting Dalton? Their QB is just like Herbert will be. Also, what makes the Dolphins so great lately? They allowed Rosen to rot and tried to trade him.

Bengals have been to the playoffs more than the Dolphins or Cowboys in the last 10 years or so. People are trying to influence both Burrow and Bengals. If Burrow sits he will miss a year because the Bengals will not budge. People know this. So they are trying to make drafting Burrow a headache.

When Burrow takes the Bengals to the Superbowl you can tell your co-worker to suck it and hope that Herbert 1.0 in Wentz wins a few games.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is another rumor by influencers involved with the Dolphins.  Burrow is the surest thing in a QB this draft.  Quit beating a dead horse about criticizing Burrow.  The fact the Media are pissed he is going to Bengals as well as some members in the AFC North and Dolphins, it shows Burrow is the real deal.

If QB are so easily replaced why are the Bears talking about getting Dalton? Their QB is just like Herbert will be.  Also, what makes the Dolphins so great lately?  They allowed Rosen to rot and tried to trade him.  

Bengals have been to the playoffs more than the Dolphins or Cowboys in the last 10 years or so.  People are trying to influence both Burrow and Bengals.  If Burrow sits he will miss a year because the Bengals will not budge.  People know this.  So they are trying to make drafting Burrow a headache.  

When Burrow takes the Bengals to the Superbowl you can tell your co-worker to suck it and hope that Herbert 1.0 in Wentz wins a few games.

WhoDey2  That is, without a doubt, the best thing said in this entire thread. If you'd rather not, I will... Ninja  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Door to the Bengals Draft war room.
[Image: jtLTLsT.jpg?1]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:38 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There is a post going around another message board I'm on about what the Bengals should do with the first pick. Some of the more respected insiders  (including a former Bengal) weighed in and all agree they should either draft Chase Young or trade the pick for lots of picks. Their reasons were:

1- When drafting #1, you take the most sure thing. They all think Young will be an All-Pro/HOF type player.
2- They think you can get QBs at other places in the draft/free agency. They sited that only 1 QB drafted 1st overall in the last 20 years has won a Superbowl.
3- Just a year ago, Burrow wasn't thought of as a pro-prospect. His lack of success until this 'advanced age' scares them off. Said his ceiling is Andrew Luck but he could be another Mitch Trubisky - one year wonder.
4- Listed quite a few high drafted QBs that flamed out because of bad Offensive Lines. Said the Bengals line is horrible and they should build up the team first. Listed KC, SF, & Balt as teams with either 2 Pro-Bowl tackles or 2 1st round tackles starting on O-line.

Did you watch the Clemson game?  Chase Young was average at best.  He's not a #1 pick.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 09:27 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Did you watch the championship game?  Chase Young was average at best.  He's not a #1 pick.  

Chase Young was on the couch for the championship game...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 09:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase Young was on the couch for the championship game...

I meant the game against Clemson sorry. My bad. I went back and corrected it.?He disappeared against Clemson. The highest rated team he had played before was rated number eight at the time. He’s overrated
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 09:27 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Did you watch the Clemson game?  Chase Young was average at best.  He's not a #1 pick.  

Did you watch the Clemson game? He was going against a future 1st round OT (Jackson Carman) and they still double & triple teamed him. 

Edit: Just read your other posts. I'm guessing you hate OSU and didn't watch him play against Penn State & Wisconsin the 1st time.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 11:59 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Did you watch the Clemson game? He was going against a future 1st round OT (Jackson Carman) and they still double & triple teamed him. 

Edit: Just read your other posts. I'm guessing you hate OSU and didn't watch him play against Penn State & Wisconsin the 1st time.

Tbf he did slow down big time down the stretch. Even Anthony Munoz mentioned it when he was weighing in on who should go #1.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 03:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: His reasoning is the Bengals suck and make stupid decisions.

Your coworker may be right on both accounts, but that doesn't mean he isn't stupid for thinking the Bengals would want CAM.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Steve Young as well as Peyton Manning with the Broncos.

Also, if we're being technical, Eli Manning since he was drafted by the Chargers Tongue.

But Brees and Peyton were the only ones who had an established career, changed teams and then won a Super bowl. It's not common at all.

was brees really established when they traded him to NO ?

that's 2 SB winning Qbs the chargers at one point had....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 12:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf he did slow down big time down the stretch. Even Anthony Munoz mentioned it when he was weighing in on who should go #1.

Yes, he was held without a sack the last 3 games of the year. I'm not sure if you were able to watch the games, but he was double & triple-teamed. And I hate talking about officiating, but the game against the Skunkbears & the B1G Championship game, he was held and even tackled most of those games. I don't know about the Clemson game because I won't watch it a 2nd time (usually watch tOSU games 2-3 times). 

I'm been saying it for awhile, my preference is to pick Burrow or trade the pick. My post was just giving the opinions of some non-Bengals fans whose opinions I respect. They seem to think Young is more of a sure thing than Burrow. I personally hope they both are All-pro.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 12:30 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yes, he was held without a sack the last 3 games of the year. I'm not sure if you were able to watch the games, but he was double & triple-teamed. And I hate talking about officiating, but the game against the Skunkbears & the B1G Championship game, he was held and even tackled most of those games. I don't know about the Clemson game because I won't watch it a 2nd time (usually watch tOSU games 2-3 times). 

I'm been saying it for awhile, my preference is to pick Burrow or trade the pick. My post was just giving the opinions of some non-Bengals fans whose opinions I respect. They seem to think Young is more of a sure thing than Burrow. I personally hope they both are All-pro.

And that’s going to continue to happen in the NFL. A lot.

Burrow stepped up his game against the best of the best. Young didn’t.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 11:59 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Did you watch the Clemson game? He was going against a future 1st round OT (Jackson Carman) and they still double & triple teamed him. 

I’m not an OSU fan but the highest ranked team he played against  besides Clemson was Penn State, which was #8 at the time.  Burrow is the better option.   I don’t hate OSU.  I have only hated one team ever and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you read my other posts you will see I was right about LSU. And I wasn’t an LSU fan either.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And that’s going to continue to happen in the NFL. A lot.

Burrow stepped up his game against the best of the best. Young didn’t.

I don't think you thought that one through. Having a player good enough to be triple-teamed most plays, puts the defense at a huge advantage numbers-wise. It either takes away 2 receivers or requires one on one blocking on the DL. That's usually saved for the JJ Watts. If you're telling me Young will be JJ Watt, it'd be hard to pass that up. 
Reply/Quote