Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dream Coaching Staff in Cincinnati
On my way home from work I thought about what it would be like to take over the Bengals and revamp the coaching staff. During a traffic jam on I-675 South just north of the Dorothy Lane exit, I came up with this:

General Manager: Dave Lapham

Head Coach: Anthony Munoz

Offensive Coordinator: Ken Anderson
Offensive Line Coach: Joe Walter, Rich Braham
Slot Receiver/Tight End Coach: TJ Houshmandzadeh
Wide Receiver Coach: Chad Johnson, Isaac Curtis
Running Back Coach: Pete Johnson, James Brooks
Quarterback Coach: Jon Kitna

Defensive Coordinator: Chris Crocker
Defensive Line Coach: Tim Krumrie, Antwan Odom
Linebacker Coach: Reggie Williams, Bill Bergey
Cornerback Coach: Deltha O'Neal, Terence Newman
Safety Coach: David Fulcher, Ken Riley

Special Teams Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. He's worth keeping!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see an energetic, young college guy brought in as coordinator. Manny Diaz as DC would be great. No clue if he'd leave Miami though.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd like to see an energetic, young college guy brought in as coordinator. Manny Diaz as DC would be great. No clue if he'd leave Miami though.

Young and energetic is good too.  I was trying for something unique:  An all-alumni coaching staff -- except for Darrin Simmons of course.
Reply/Quote
Really I'm ready for damn near anything, except Hue
Reply/Quote
It was. It was creative.

Eric Bienemy is a HC candidate too around the league. Isn't he like KC's coordinator?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was. It was creative.

Eric Bienemy is a HC candidate too around the league. Isn't he like KC's coordinator?

Yes -- and a former Bengal running back!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was. It was creative.

Yes, he's the OC of the Chiefs.  However, maybe the Andy Reid tree isn't the one to look to.  Perhaps we look to the Sean Payton tree for salvation?  After all, he has brought a team back from the NFL equivalent of the NCAA "death penalty" for the dirty hit scandal, a few years back.  Those guys under him know a thing or two about perseverance, and overcoming tough situations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:13 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes -- and a former Bengal running back!

I think Bienemy is our best hope.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:13 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes -- and a former Bengal running back!

Eric "Sleeping With" Bienemy.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I say give the Rams our 1st round picks in 2019, 2020 and 2021

For the entire Rams staff with McVay and sign him to 15 year contract
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On my way home from work I thought about what it would be like to take over the Bengals and revamp the coaching staff.  During a traffic jam on I-675 South just north of the Dorothy Lane exit, I came up with this:

General Manager:  Dave Lapham

Head Coach:  Anthony Munoz

Offensive Coordinator:  Ken Anderson
Offensive Line Coach:  Joe Walter, Rich Braham
Slot Receiver/Tight End Coach:  TJ Houshmandzadeh
Wide Receiver Coach:  Chad Johnson, Isaac Curtis
Running Back Coach:  Pete Johnson, James Brooks
Quarterback Coach:  Jon Kitna

Defensive Coordinator:  Chris Crocker
Defensive Line Coach:  Tim Krumrie, Antwan Odom
Linebacker Coach:  Reggie Williams, Bill Bergey
Cornerback Coach:  Deltha O'Neal, Terence Newman
Safety Coach:  David Fulcher, Ken Riley

Special Teams Coordinator:  Darrin Simmons.  He's worth keeping!

This assumes great players are great coaches. The only guys on there I see with coaching experience are Kitna and Anderson. Coaching and playing are two different skill sets....
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This assumes great players are great coaches. The only guys on there I see with coaching experience are Kitna and Anderson. Coaching and playing are two different skill sets....

Krummie was DL coach for the Bengals for a few years, though I forget for which coach.  I believe the results were mixed, though I'm sure the talent level was lacking.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: Krummie was DL coach for the Bengals for a few years, though I forget for which coach.  I believe the results were mixed, though I'm sure the talent level was lacking.

And maybe some others too, those are just the one's I remembered...
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And maybe some others too, those are just the one's I remembered...

I think Kenny failed pretty miserably here as OC, also probably hampered by lack of talent, before he went to coach QB's in Shiittsburgh, of all places.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
In a fairy tale scenario where Mike finally pulled the plug on Marvin and decided not to go with a lazy hire (Hue Jackson)...I would have these 3 guys on my short list for head coach:

1st choice: Dave Toub, Chiefs Asst. HC and ST Coordinator...Has had a few interviews over the past few years and remains a hot name. A very respected, seasoned coach who's leadership and teaching qualities have been praised by Andy Reid.

2nd choice; Dan Campbell, Saints Asst. HC and TE's coach...When looking at someone from the Saints staff, some might like Carmichael better, but he is a very soft spoken, mild-manner personality who has always excelled in a behind-the-scenes type role and I'm just not sure he would be right for this job at this point in time. I think Campbell may be a better fit, and he does have 12 games of HCing experience.

3rd choice; Matt LaFleur, Titans Off. Coordinator...While the offense hasn't exactly been impressive in Tennessee this year, he was given a lot of praise and credit in his previous stops in Atlanta and St. Louis. He's a young guy who would probably need more experienced coordinators around him, and I think he would bring an element of excitement to the fan base. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On my way home from work I thought about what it would be like to take over the Bengals and revamp the coaching staff.  During a traffic jam on I-675 South just north of the Dorothy Lane exit, I came up with this:

You forgot change in owner, and apparently Kevin Youkilis is interested!
https://twitter.com/greekgodofhops/status/1066784625660284928?s=21
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You forgot change in owner, and apparently Kevin Youkilis is interested!
https://twitter.com/greekgodofhops/status/1066784625660284928?s=21

Too bad he is about $900 Million short of what he needs to buy it lol.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Really I'm ready for damn near anything, except Hue

Yes #FireHUEyLEWIS
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

Put down the pipe.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On my way home from work I thought about what it would be like to take over the Bengals and revamp the coaching staff. During a traffic jam on I-675 South just north of the Dorothy Lane exit, I came up with this:

General Manager: Dave Lapham

Head Coach: Anthony Munoz

Offensive Coordinator: Ken Anderson
Offensive Line Coach: Joe Walter, Rich Braham
Slot Receiver/Tight End Coach: TJ Houshmandzadeh
Wide Receiver Coach: Chad Johnson, Isaac Curtis
Running Back Coach: Pete Johnson, James Brooks
Quarterback Coach: Jon Kitna

Defensive Coordinator: Chris Crocker
Defensive Line Coach: Tim Krumrie, Antwan Odom
Linebacker Coach: Reggie Williams, Bill Bergey
Cornerback Coach: Deltha O'Neal, Terence Newman
Safety Coach: David Fulcher, Ken Riley

Special Teams Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. He's worth keeping!

This is the new NFL. It will be very interesting to see the counter defensive moves to adjust to it.

The Saints vs Rams, KC vs Rams and KC vs NE games tell me that zone, cover2/3, and Man or Mix can't stop these schemes.

Belichek gave up 40 to KC with his mix. He even ran 3-2-6 and 2-2-7.

Wade Phillips has the dream team on defense, and couldn't stop KC or NO with his Man/Mix.

So what I'm saying is that either we go to a defensive minded approach and get a guy who can slow down these offenses, or join them and go offensive approach.

This league goes in cycles, so I could see a return to a power run philosophy using keep away approach, and an undersized quick defense that utilizes nickel/dime packages as base or a version of zone/Tampa-2, with a couple of behemoths at d-line.

So who would be best coach(s) to devise a strategy for us? I don't know...Jimmy Johnson? Chip Kelley? Harbaugh?
Reply/Quote